The Student Room Group

Part-time Job

Heya,

So, like most of you, I'm going to be a fresher as of September. I'll be going to UCL. This is great and I'm overjoyed, however, London is an expensive place to live. Whilst I won't be paying for my accommodation, I still feel like what I'll getting from my family is unlikely to be enough.

The City of London recommends a weekly budget of something just over a hundred pounds, to be able to manage in London. UCL recommend something like 233.

Considering that UCL recommend I don't work anything over 20 hours a week, and that I'm under 21, so the minimum wage for my age-group is £5.03, what kind of jobs can I expect to get? I know there's the typical retail/restauration kind of deal, but I'd like specifics. Do shops like Topman and All Saints provide a flexible work schedule for students? Are they minimum wage or on commission? Which is preferable? A restaurant or a shop?

I was also considering tutoring. I am a foreign student, coming from the French education system. If I could tutor some students, what would a reasonable hourly price?

I know, these are a lot of questions, and yes, there are probably other threads that contain the answers, but I can't be arsed to find them.

Cheers.
Original post by LoicInAfrica
Heya,

So, like most of you, I'm going to be a fresher as of September. I'll be going to UCL. This is great and I'm overjoyed, however, London is an expensive place to live. Whilst I won't be paying for my accommodation, I still feel like what I'll getting from my family is unlikely to be enough.

The City of London recommends a weekly budget of something just over a hundred pounds, to be able to manage in London. UCL recommend something like 233.

Considering that UCL recommend I don't work anything over 20 hours a week, and that I'm under 21, so the minimum wage for my age-group is £5.03, what kind of jobs can I expect to get? I know there's the typical retail/restauration kind of deal, but I'd like specifics. Do shops like Topman and All Saints provide a flexible work schedule for students? Are they minimum wage or on commission? Which is preferable? A restaurant or a shop?

I was also considering tutoring. I am a foreign student, coming from the French education system. If I could tutor some students, what would a reasonable hourly price?

I know, these are a lot of questions, and yes, there are probably other threads that contain the answers, but I can't be arsed to find them.

Cheers.

Many UCL students work including me.

Many tutor privately. There is waitering, shop work, promotions etc. I work at a hospital :smile:

Loads of opportunities!
Reply 2
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Many UCL students work including me.

Many tutor privately. There is waitering, shop work, promotions etc. I work at a hospital :smile:

Loads of opportunities!

Could you provide specifics, by any chance? Such as how much you, yourself, need to survive, per week, in London? How many hours a week do you work? Etc. etc.
Could you provide specifics, by any chance? Such as how much you, yourself, need to survive, per week, in London? How many hours a week do you work? Etc. etc.

That depends on so many things! Like how much loan you will get? Bursary? Help from parents?
Also my other advice would be to get a "useful" part time job aka either linked to a hobby or linked to your future career.

What are you studying? Planning to go into?
Reply 5
Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilizations (VQ48). After this degree, I'd like to do a dual law degree between the UK and France (Hopefully, if I finish with a firsts, I'd like to apply to Oxbridge). So, yeah, the future career jobs are more going to be during the summer holidays, when I can intern in law firms and when I can fill in my mandatory 6 weeks archaeological work.

I was thinking of either working at All Saints, or tutoring. There are now 3 French Lycees in London and I could probably find work doing that. But like I said, I have no idea how much I could reasonably charge.
Reply 6
That depends on so many things! Like how much loan you will get? Bursary? Help from parents?

Tuition paid in full by parents, accommodation paid as well. I'll receive some kind of allowance from them, but I'm not expecting it to be very much. Hence why the need for a part-time job.
Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilizations (VQ48). After this degree, I'd like to do a dual law degree between the UK and France (Hopefully, if I finish with a firsts, I'd like to apply to Oxbridge). So, yeah, the future career jobs are more going to be during the summer holidays, when I can intern in law firms and when I can fill in my mandatory 6 weeks archaeological work.

I was thinking of either working at All Saints, or tutoring. There are now 3 French Lycees in London and I could probably find work doing that. But like I said, I have no idea how much I could reasonably charge.

Retail (like All Saints) pays the minimum generally.

Tutoring would be more high yield and look better on your CV.

You want to switch to Oxbridge?!?! UCL is amazing and currently ranked above Oxford! Plus there are more opportunities for networking and career in London :smile:
Also have you had a part time job already? Many places want experience :smile:
Reply 9
For the law degree I'm looking at, Oxford is the better option. After this 3 year degree, I'd like to do a dual law degree between the UK and France (Being half English, half French myself, it makes sense). As for networking, that's not really an issue.

I have no job experience whatsoever, except for being a receptionist in a hotel. I live, at the moment, in West Africa and the opportunities for part-time jobs are very limited.
What do you think would be a reasonable price, per hour, for tutoring?
What do you think would be a reasonable price, per hour, for tutoring?

Depends on the subject and your credentials ….

My friends tutor BMAT (Med school admissions), Physics and Chemistry….I think they get about £25 p/hr
Depends on the subject and your credentials ….

My friends tutor BMAT (Med school admissions), Physics and Chemistry….I think they get about £25 p/hr

Well, I was considering tutoring kids at the French Lycée. I got my baccalauréat with Mention Très Bien (Which is the equivalent of getting all A* on your A levels). Particular strong subjects were Maths, Economics, and Philosophy. So I was considering tutoring certain students there.

Otherwise, I was also thinking of tutoring English school kids in French and Spanish, as I speak both.

25 quid an hour? Right, I guess if I manage to get a few French Terminale students, I could reasonably ask for something like 15-20 bob an hour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending