The Student Room Group

Taking the EPQ as a private candiate

I'm looking to do the EPQ. My school allows us the option of doing an 'Extended Project' but the entire project is an internal scheme. So, the ~3000 word essay would have feedback given by a teacher. But, there would be no grade given at the end. Would universities consider this project to be equivalent to the EPQ?

If I wanted to do the EPQ instead, what would be the best way of doing so? Especially since my school doesn't offer us the option to do so. Could I enter the EPQ as a private candidate? If so, how much would this cost?

As far as I can see, the EPQ is not eligible for private candidates. Is that right?
Original post by Quantaˌ
I'm looking to do the EPQ. My school allows us the option of doing an 'Extended Project' but the entire project is an internal scheme. So, the ~3000 word essay would have feedback given by a teacher. But, there would be no grade given at the end. Would universities consider this project to be equivalent to the EPQ?

If I wanted to do the EPQ instead, what would be the best way of doing so? Especially since my school doesn't offer us the option to do so. Could I enter the EPQ as a private candidate? If so, how much would this cost?

As far as I can see, the EPQ is not eligible for private candidates. Is that right?

I don't think it would be regarded as being equivalent to an EPQ since there's no quality assurance - and you definitely wouldn't get the UCAS points. You can definitely mention that you did an in depth research project on your personal statement and that would obviously look very good, but it's still not an EPQ.

Don't quote me on this because I don't know for certain, but I don't think it's possible to do an EPQ privately. At the very least, you need a trained supervisor who you meet regular intervals throughout the project and I don't think an exterior exams centre could offer that. The best thing I could suggest is talking to your Head of Sixth Form and asking if there's any way they could possibly allow you to do an EPQ. It's unlikely, but you could try.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I don't think it would be regarded as being equivalent to an EPQ since there's no quality assurance - and you definitely wouldn't get the UCAS points. You can definitely mention that you did an in depth research project on your personal statement and that would obviously look very good, but it's still not an EPQ.

Don't quote me on this because I don't know for certain, but I don't think it's possible to do an EPQ privately. At the very least, you need a trained supervisor who you meet regular intervals throughout the project and I don't think an exterior exams centre could offer that. The best thing I could suggest is talking to your Head of Sixth Form and asking if there's any way they could possibly allow you to do an EPQ. It's unlikely, but you could try.

That's what I thought. I talked to the Head of Sixth Form and they said that they wouldn't be able to offer the EPQ. I still don't understand why my school offers this 'Extended Project' instead of just doing the EPQ...
Original post by Quantaˌ
That's what I thought. I talked to the Head of Sixth Form and they said that they wouldn't be able to offer the EPQ. I still don't understand why my school offers this 'Extended Project' instead of just doing the EPQ...

Maybe they don't have the resources? Don't worry though - it's still probably a good idea participating in the internal EPQ.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Maybe they don't have the resources? Don't worry though - it's still probably a good idea participating in the internal EPQ.

Possibly. But, as they are putting aside two weeks to do the 'Extended Project', I would have thought they could have organised the EPQ instead. But, anyway, thank you for your help!
I think you can do it independently at Brooke House as an online course but it's THREE THOUSAND pounds. literally astronomical for an EQP so many people just don't do it if their school doesn't offer it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending