The Student Room Group

German with Russian or Italian BA?

I'm hoping to apply to university soon, and although I've chosen German as the subject I want to take from post A-level standard, I've also been looking into doing a combined honours degree with either Italian or Russian.
I absolutely love the Russian language and would personally find it a greater and more fulfilling challenge to master it, especially with the Cyrillic alphabet. I've never really seen the appeal with Romance languages personally, and although Italian is a beautiful language I can't really see myself enjoying it THAT much (or as much as I would Russian).
However, my dilemma presents itself here. I absolutely love Italian culture; the music, food, art, architecture are all a delight for me to learn about and take in. With Russian, I'm not sure whether I just haven't learnt enough about it or not, but it just doesn't seem as suited to me as Italian culture, despite adoring the language. Which is why I think the year abroad spent in Italy might be more enjoyable than spent in Russia.
Has anyone got any advice for me to make a decision about this, or studied any of these languages (or better yet, both!)? Thank you.
Reply 1
Very similar situation to yourself here.

While I haven't studied the languages, I would very much like to. But perhaps one thing you could try is to start learning the basics of them, online to get a feel for the languages. I'm not sure if it's just me but I found French impossibly hard yet I clicked with German. If you find that actually, one of them just isn't right for you, that might make your decision easier.

I guess another thing to consider is what you want to do with that degree. Judging by your post about Italian culture, you may what to live there? In that case, Italian would probably be the best choice; if you just want to learn Russian because you like the language I believe most uni's offer classes anyway, just you don't get a qualification in them :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AdamCee
Very similar situation to yourself here.

While I haven't studied the languages, I would very much like to. But perhaps one thing you could try is to start learning the basics of them, online to get a feel for the languages. I'm not sure if it's just me but I found French impossibly hard yet I clicked with German. If you find that actually, one of them just isn't right for you, that might make your decision easier.

I guess another thing to consider is what you want to do with that degree. Judging by your post about Italian culture, you may what to live there? In that case, Italian would probably be the best choice; if you just want to learn Russian because you like the language I believe most uni's offer classes anyway, just you don't get a qualification in them :smile:

Thanks for your reply! Ahhh that does sound like a good idea! Where are you thinking of studying languages?
I was exactly the same with French and German; I just couldn't understand French (despite it being supposedly easier) whereas German came much more naturally to me!
I'm not entirely sure what I would do with a language degree, I'm mostly just doing one because I'd love to learn more about German and whatever other language I'd take to a higher level and achieve a greater degree of fluency (as well as the year abroad and the all-round uni experience :tongue:). I thought with Russian being a UN language it could possibly open up more jobs in the future? I feel like a Russian degree may be more useful in terms of formal stuff like jobs.
The thing is, I could always visit Italy and attend a language course as Italian seems much easier to pick up than Russian, as well as appreciate all the culture the country has to offer, whereas I feel like I'd need university tutoring to enable me to understand and be literate in Russian. Aghh!
Hi I was looking for something to study with German last year too and at an open day at Manchester uni (I think) it was mentioned that Italian traders/business will only trade with other people who can speak Italian so there's always a big demand for Italian speakers in business etc :smile:
Original post by lidiax
I'm hoping to apply to university soon, and although I've chosen German as the subject I want to take from post A-level standard, I've also been looking into doing a combined honours degree with either Italian or Russian.
I absolutely love the Russian language and would personally find it a greater and more fulfilling challenge to master it, especially with the Cyrillic alphabet. I've never really seen the appeal with Romance languages personally, and although Italian is a beautiful language I can't really see myself enjoying it THAT much (or as much as I would Russian).
However, my dilemma presents itself here. I absolutely love Italian culture; the music, food, art, architecture are all a delight for me to learn about and take in. With Russian, I'm not sure whether I just haven't learnt enough about it or not, but it just doesn't seem as suited to me as Italian culture, despite adoring the language. Which is why I think the year abroad spent in Italy might be more enjoyable than spent in Russia.
Has anyone got any advice for me to make a decision about this, or studied any of these languages (or better yet, both!)? Thank you.

Hi there, I have just finished my first year of German and Beginner's Russian and I can't recommend it enough. The Russian alphabet is not too hard to learn, but there is also the cursive (basically fancy handwriting) alphabet, which can be a bit confusing, but it's fine overall. The language itself is challenging, especially with its 6 grammatical cases, but if you've previously studied German this shouldn't be a problem; it has the Nominative, Accusative, Genitive and Dative cases like German, as well as the Prepositional and Instrumental cases. But once you've had a bit of practice it isn't too hard. It is a huge sense of accomplishment and is a very rewarding language to learn, but you will need to put a lot of work into it if you want to do well. Then again, you'll find that with all subjects at uni. Funnily enough, I'm looking to pick up Italian next year as it looks quite interesting and not too difficult (compared to Russian at least!), but I think you really need to look into the courses in more detail, maybe go on some open days and look at the languages a bit online to get an idea of what would suit you better. I hope this helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lidiax

You may not like the suggestion, but another option could be to do all three! A lot of universities now let you do a degree in 3 languages, and you're often able to specify which language you would like the most contact time with, which language the least etc. if i were you that's what i'd do. italian is fairly very easy, so doing it as a third language is pretty effortless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending