The Student Room Group

how to improve in exams

I've just completed my first year of uni and achieved the equivalent of a 2:1 in my grades (which was just scraped really so Im not overly happy), however breaking down each module it was my final exams where I didnt do as well as i know I can. my coursework was much better and so too the multiple choice parts of examinations. I know I know what I need to going into the exam and if someone was to fire questions at me I'd get the majority of them right (The only piece of coursework that wasnt great was one which required a lot of further explanation/application and was around 8 pages long)

this pattern has followed since GCSE and A Level I have the potential but back then it was my final exams that suffered and let me down (Im someone that likes pressure and thrives under it - before someone offers pressure as an explanation) but it seems to be long essay questions where I fall, but Ive asked before how to get top grades and I always think Im doing what ive been told.

does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions to help me. I really want to be coming out of uni with a high 2:1 or a 1st, as i know i can achieve that, and im already going to have to try and convince employers my A-Levels were a complete c*ck-up for my final exams as I havent got the overall grades to get a top placement yet my previous AS and january A-level exams would be accepted if they were my final grades.

Many thanks for any help its appreciated :smile:
Original post by klomd
I've just completed my first year of uni and achieved the equivalent of a 2:1 in my grades (which was just scraped really so Im not overly happy), however breaking down each module it was my final exams where I didnt do as well as i know I can. my coursework was much better and so too the multiple choice parts of examinations. I know I know what I need to going into the exam and if someone was to fire questions at me I'd get the majority of them right (The only piece of coursework that wasnt great was one which required a lot of further explanation/application and was around 8 pages long)

this pattern has followed since GCSE and A Level I have the potential but back then it was my final exams that suffered and let me down (Im someone that likes pressure and thrives under it - before someone offers pressure as an explanation) but it seems to be long essay questions where I fall, but Ive asked before how to get top grades and I always think Im doing what ive been told.

does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions to help me. I really want to be coming out of uni with a high 2:1 or a 1st, as i know i can achieve that, and im already going to have to try and convince employers my A-Levels were a complete c*ck-up for my final exams as I havent got the overall grades to get a top placement yet my previous AS and january A-level exams would be accepted if they were my final grades.

Many thanks for any help its appreciated :smile:

What subject are you studying?

It's hard to tell where you're going on without seeing your work or what you're studying. Have you approached your lecturers about this to get some feedback?

Otherwise, some general tips for exam essay questions:

Always plan your answers before you start writing to make sure that they're coherent and relate back to the question. :smile: An easy way to do this is to make a simple spider diagram and label the points into paragraphs.

Make sure you read the question and understand what it's asking. Highlight the important elements. Don't write lots of irrelevant filler. Quality, not quantity.

Be analytical - make sure you're not just repeating a story!

I hope that helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending