The Student Room Group

Would I be suited to mechanical engineering?

I am considering studying mechanical engineering for entry in 2015 and have just completed my AS levels which were maths, physics, economics and french in which I am predicted an A in all four. I have briefly read a book that introduces some basic mathematic problems of mechanical engineering; a lot of which seems similar to the mechanics modules of maths as well as new topics like thermodynamics and fluid dynamics which both sound interesting. Academically I believe i can tackle the theory of a mechanical engineering degree however the problem is i have no 'hands on' experience with engineering. Many mechanical engineering personal statements seem to offer hands on experience such as working on physical projects as well as people who are car or motorbike enthusiasts. Once I'm at university I would have no problem working on projects with other students but would I be disadvantaged due to a lack of experience now? I have organised work experience to do over summer. Would I be more suited to another discipline of engineering that is less hands on? I am also considering civil engineering but the modules that are studied as part of a uni course are not as interesting to me.
Thanks.
You will use hands-on skills. You are pretty much guaranteed to make at least one physical thing at university. Having no experience is not ideal, but it shouldn't be the end of the world. That said, I've known plenty of people who struggled to use basic tools and measuring equipment on materials. You will no doubt have a workshop induction and perhaps some demonstrations on the tools though, so you can pick it up.

Regarding the personal statement, I never restored a car nor read any books on engineering beforehand. Don't believe that you have to do certain things to have a good PS, just relate the skills you do have to the course and show why you're appropriate. What have you done? Why is it appropriate? Why does it make you a good candidate (and someone who will do well?). Why will those skills and that degree help you in the future when finding a career? I did talk about design technology projects I'd done in my personal statement, so some practical evidence may help out, but just make do with the skills you do have.

The course content is largely to do with what you've done in maths and mechanics. The rest is a bit to do with more "physics" type concepts and there is even a little bit of chemistry too (molar masses, things like that). You will also learn to use computer software such as CAD and things like MATLAB which is mathematics software - It's sort of like programming for maths. There really is a large range of skills that you will use, so don't panic if you lack one of them as you may have more experience in a different area. As a student you can get Autodesk CAD software for free, so you could try creating some things and documenting your successes in the PS.

Have you considered changing the French for design technology or electronics a more practical subject? You don't have to, but it may reinforce or otherwise help you to decide on what course is right for you.
Reply 2
Original post by TomC123
I am considering studying mechanical engineering for entry in 2015 and have just completed my AS levels which were maths, physics, economics and french in which I am predicted an A in all four. I have briefly read a book that introduces some basic mathematic problems of mechanical engineering; a lot of which seems similar to the mechanics modules of maths as well as new topics like thermodynamics and fluid dynamics which both sound interesting. Academically I believe i can tackle the theory of a mechanical engineering degree however the problem is i have no 'hands on' experience with engineering. Many mechanical engineering personal statements seem to offer hands on experience such as working on physical projects as well as people who are car or motorbike enthusiasts. Once I'm at university I would have no problem working on projects with other students but would I be disadvantaged due to a lack of experience now? I have organised work experience to do over summer. Would I be more suited to another discipline of engineering that is less hands on? I am also considering civil engineering but the modules that are studied as part of a uni course are not as interesting to me.
Thanks.

I am doing mechanical engineering at heriot watt, my alevels: maths chemistry spanish and physics.

I did not apply because im a car enthusiast, or when i was a child i played with lego or its all ove ever dreamed of.. or any of those other stories that people put down on their PS's because they think thats what they need to be.
i applied because i looked at the modules and i got interested. i love solving the problems thrown at you during uni and though i know less about machinery than some of my peers the course is thaught to you as if you know nothingso dont worry about never having taken an engine to pieces before it isnt all about cars ( you're not studying to be a mechanic ! ) in fact very little so far has been.

email the uni about your a level subjects. i was told to get ABB but they didnt care what i got in spanish, only the technical subjects. make sure your french counts or that economics will get you the grade you need.

the best thing for a personal statement, show you've really researched the course, mention modules you particularly think you'll find interesting and why. talk about your vision for the future, what you hope to gain from a degree from their university, how it will help you achieve your career goals etc they dont care if youre not an obvious engineer now, they want to see you desperately want to become one and what you will do with yourself once you are.

Quick Reply

Latest