The Student Room Group

£50k @ 18 vs £150k @ 25 vs £1mil @ 30 vs combi.

Scroll to see replies

Option C. By 30 your much wider and less likely to go snorting with Lindsey Lohann.

Plus life is cheap when your young.
Original post by samba
Looking back, I'd have taken D. These days I'd take C.

So I hear you take the D :sexface:
C. And I will invest it in the most ardent anti-Israel groups.
I'd probably take B as it would clear my student loan (university) and give me some leftover cash to save. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
So I hear you take the D :sexface:

You offering? :sexface:
Original post by Rakas21
Option C. By 30 your much wider and less likely to go snorting with Lindsey Lohann.

Damn i hope im not too much wider at 30 :/
Original post by Pryender
Damn i hope im not too much wider at 30 :/

Wiser of course.

Original post by samba

He's a Welshman, no money.
Option C definitely. 50K is peanuts after tax and you can quite easily make 150K over a few years.
Original post by Inzamam99
C. And I will invest it in the most ardent anti-Israel groups.

Yes, I'm sure £1 million funding will be a match for the USA's $600 billion defense budget. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid the exchange rate isn't quite that generous. :biggrin:
Original post by samba

Original post by Rakas21
Wiser of course.

He's a Welshman, no money.

No sheep, no D. Sorry.
Reply 30
Original post by tengentoppa
Option C definitely. 50K is peanuts after tax and you can quite easily make 150K over a few years.

It is nett so no taxes need to be paid.
Reply 31
I can't believe anyone is choosing A or B!

I'd probably pick D after some thought. C would be very tempting, but with D it's much lower stress than trying to consistently invest a huge chunk of money well. Would be nice to have that guaranteed stream of income without strings attached.
Reply 32
Myself, my late granddad offered all his grandchildren something similar. Today the youngest of my cousins who was born when he was still alive gets to choose which way it would be for her. She opted for option B, almost every single one of my cousins took that option and most today has near nothing to show for it beyond part of it going towards a deposit for a house. Of the 22 of us, only 5 didn't opt for option B, 4 opted for option A 2 then switched to option B and a further 1 decided to wait for option C, one of those who opted for option B passed away 2 weeks after receiving his money as he bought a brand new BMW M3 with the money and he flipped it at high speed before slamming it into a tree.

I was that one who opted for option D, though one major difference was I opted not to take the monthly payments and instead left it to grow together so the payments at 18, 25 and 30 were much bigger. The money I took at 18 I bought a small car (an Austin Metro that was 10 years old and I used it to pay for a trip for my 18th birthday) The money I received at 25, I put all of it towards a house which my other granddad sold to me at a discount and another part of it I put it towards buying a farm in Sweden. The money I received at 30, I must say I was very tempted to buy a Ferrari 360 Modena. Why I didn't? Well I said I would buy one when the new model was released the F430 and there was this American woman who worked for a real estate developer, she was essentially trying her utmost best to "steal" me away from my ex-wife, therefore she lured me by offering some rather nice pieces of real estate I could buy, I bought 4 of them from her off-plan, it was ultra attractive because it was a pre-launch so I received a 20% discount and a further 5% discount she gave me through her employee discount. Best part, she even helped me secure and guarantee the mortgages on it and told me after it was completed I could sell it and buy a better Ferrari outright. After completion it went up 20% and after it was tenanted it went up a further 25% and when the developer launched the 2nd phase it went up a further 28% ...... those were the days when real estate in SE Asia as a whole was one turbo-charged bubble. I did sell all of it but somehow or rather I forgot about buying a Ferrari as had different priorities.

Looking at it now, I'm glad I'm one of those that took option D as the money came to me in the right amounts at the right time. I suppose I should thank that American woman for trying to make those moves on me. If I had opted for option C, I'm pretty sure that Ferrari dealership would had been my first stop and then it would had been the Maserati dealer.

My cousin that opted for option C, she bought herself a flat and 4 rental properties in Singapore. She never stopped working when she received the money, she still works as a kindergarten teacher.
Reply 33
Original post by Jelkin
I can't believe anyone is choosing A or B!

I'd probably pick D after some thought. C would be very tempting, but with D it's much lower stress than trying to consistently invest a huge chunk of money well. Would be nice to have that guaranteed stream of income without strings attached.

There are many reasons people opt for B, one of it is £150k at 25 has lots of utility factor to it and will be a big boost to your finances thus enabling you to get onto the property ladder sooner. Also at 25 there are many things that you can only do before you are 30 but without the finances it would be all but a dream.
Reply 34
Original post by Alfissti
There are many reasons people opt for B, one of it is £150k at 25 has lots of utility factor to it and will be a big boost to your finances thus enabling you to get onto the property ladder sooner. Also at 25 there are many things that you can only do before you are 30 but without the finances it would be all but a dream.

Like what?

The difference between 25 and 30 is not that big. I would happily wait 5 years to get over six times the amount!
Reply 35
Original post by Jelkin
Like what?

The difference between 25 and 30 is not that big. I would happily wait 5 years to get over six times the amount!

Anything with an element of risqué behaviour, anything that requires a certain amount of physical fitness or stamina, anything that requires quick reflexes and anything that you shouldn't be doing should you have a certain amount of commitments or responsibilities to someone else which you tend to have once you are 30 such as kids, long term spouse or other dependants.
What did you do to earn that kind of money?

Professional betting
Which would you choose and why?

Option A : £50k in cash at 18.
Option B : £150k in cash at 25.
Option C : £1mil in cash at 30.
Option D : £200 per month at 16, £1k cash + £300pm at 18, £450pm + £70k at 25 and £900pm + £250k cash at 30, the £900pm will then go up every year at CPI and every 5 years CPI+5%

If you select option D then you can't change it but it doesn't prevent you from taking up any steps to gain more in income.

If you select any other then for as long as you had not taken the money you could opt not to take it and wait till the next option.

Zionist!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending