The Student Room Group

Am i making the right choice?

Hello all,

I am 19 years old and i currently have an apprenticeship in heating and gas.

I am in my 3rd year and in September i shall be starting my 4th and final year. However, i really don't enjoy this line of work. I applied for a quantity surveying apprenticeship and since then i have attended 2 interviews and just recently got the job offer sent out! :smile:

Obviously this means starting again from scratch and starting on a lot less money than i am currently on. however, i find this to be an excellent opportunity and i need some advice of you guys!

The apprenticeship is 4 years and once the apprenticeship is completed they then fund you to go to uni and get your degree if they think it will benefit you and the company.

so people.. am i making the right decision quitting my current apprenticeship and starting a new one in quantity surveying?

Thanks!
Original post by DanTheMannnn
Hello all,

I am 19 years old and i currently have an apprenticeship in heating and gas.

I am in my 3rd year and in September i shall be starting my 4th and final year. However, i really don't enjoy this line of work. I applied for a quantity surveying apprenticeship and since then i have attended 2 interviews and just recently got the job offer sent out! :smile:

Obviously this means starting again from scratch and starting on a lot less money than i am currently on. however, i find this to be an excellent opportunity and i need some advice of you guys!

The apprenticeship is 4 years and once the apprenticeship is completed they then fund you to go to uni and get your degree if they think it will benefit you and the company.

so people.. am i making the right decision quitting my current apprenticeship and starting a new one in quantity surveying?

Thanks!

I'd say start the new one, personally, i'd rather enjoy what i do for less money, rather than do something i hate and get paid more, it feels more of a chore if you dislike it.

Plus the new oppurtunity has the potential option of University which is only going to be a bonus to you if they feel you need it !!

TAKE THE NEW ONE
Reply 2
Original post by ProppaNutty
I'd say start the new one, personally, i'd rather enjoy what i do for less money, rather than do something i hate and get paid more, it feels more of a chore if you dislike it.

Plus the new oppurtunity has the potential option of University which is only going to be a bonus to you if they feel you need it !!

TAKE THE NEW ONE

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Hell no. Heating and Gas engineers earn a fortune. At least qualify before you decide.
Reply 4
Original post by Old_Simon
Hell no. Heating and Gas engineers earn a fortune. At least qualify before you decide.

hmm.. i live in the north east of england (Newcastle) average annual salary here for a qualified heating and gas engineer is 27k..

for a Quantity surveyor its 22k when qualified and with experaince 35k+

dont get me wrong heating and gas engineers can make a lot of money but they have to really really work there ass off for it haha

where as with being a QS its a more relaxed approach obviously i understand there is a lot of pressure to meet targets but the overall working day is much less physically demanding and tiring than being a heating engineer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending