The Student Room Group

Leaving PwC "after" training contract, BUT.....

Hi guys,

I have successfully completed all of my ATT exams this May and I am one month away from completing my ATT training contract with PwC (September).

I looked through my training contract and I found the following phrase:

"The circumstances in which repayment may be required include, but may not be limited to:
(a) all learning programme, exemption and examination fees incurred where you voluntarily leave PwC’s employment before the end of your Training Contract, or within 12 months of sitting your last professional examinations, if later".

The last sentence is confusing me, specifically the "...if later" part: My last exam sitting was in May 2014. Does this mean I am locked in until May 2015 i.e. 12 months from my last exam sitting?

The way I'd like to interpret it is; my training contract end date is September, which is "later" than my last exam sitting date (May), hence, I will not have to repay my ATT study fees if I terminate my employment after my training contract.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this, especially from someone who has been through this.

Thanks
I've been wondering this too (not yet started my training contract). I'd suggest you just ask HR.

Let me know if you find out a definitive answer?
Reply 2
I have sent a request to HR for some enlightenment on this topic. I have just found a clause stating that if you break your contract you will only be required to repay costs incurred in the last 12 months of giving notice. This is actually something one could live with rather than having to repay all the costs.

Sure I will drop an update on this thread when I heard back. Good luck with you new job!

Original post by Elasticity
I've been wondering this too (not yet started my training contract). I'd suggest you just ask HR.

Let me know if you find out a definitive answer?
Reply 3
There's no ambiguity here, it's exceptionally clear. You are held at PWC until the later of the end of your training period or 12 months after your last exam. So in your case May 2015.

Whether PWC actually apply that clause is another matter to discuss with HR. For ACA schemes at least you can leave after the 3 year scheme ends.
Original post by M1011
There's no ambiguity here, it's exceptionally clear. You are held at PWC until the later of the end of your training period or 12 months after your last exam. So in your case May 2015.

Whether PWC actually apply that clause is another matter to discuss with HR. For ACA schemes at least you can leave after the 3 year scheme ends.

My ACA scheme has exactly the same wording...
Reply 5
I would have thought most schemes have this wording?

Anyway, this is isn't written in my contract but I found a general employment manual specific for my scheme within our internal portal stating that only the fees incurred in the last 12 months are repayable.
Reply 6
Original post by Elasticity
My ACA scheme has exactly the same wording...

And has anyone been held past 3 years in your experience? I've never heard of that, but granted I'm not at PWC.

The fact remains the wording is clear in it's meaning, what the OP needs to understand is if they enforce it.
Reply 7
Thank you for your clarification. I'm enquiring within to check if they will enforce this.

Original post by M1011
And has anyone been held past 3 years in your experience? I've never heard of that, but granted I'm not at PWC.

The fact remains the wording is clear in it's meaning, what the OP needs to understand is if they enforce it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M1011

I haven't started the role so I wouldn't know. Hopefully it's not enforced :smile:
Original post by Brandon26
Thank you for your clarification. I'm enquiring within to check if they will enforce this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be careful talking to HR about these things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending