The Student Room Group

Did you find your results to be different to your predicted grades?

I know that results day is in two weeks but I'm referring to those who are in Year 12 or older now, or those who have results from exams they did in Year 10. :tongue:

*Sorry if there's already a thread like this! I'm new :biggrin:*

We recently did end of year exams and I got 4 A*'s and 5 A's with some night-before revision for each exam. Subsequently my predicted grades as of my most recent report (summer term) were the same, plus an A* in English Language- we didn't sit an end of year exam in it.

I keep thinking more about GCSE's recently and what I'll get (I know there's a while still to come) but I'm even thinking about results and A-levels and everything. You'll probably tell me to relax but I over think everything. I'd quite like 10 A*'s however I'm not sure if it's an unrealistic thought because the girls who get straight A*'s in my school are super clever- top set for everything whereas I am in middle set for science and maths.

So- were your results different to your predicted grades? Do you think it's possible to get 10 A*'s without being a genius?
Original post by lotusflower99
I know that results day is in two weeks but I'm referring to those who are in Year 12 or older now, or those who have results from exams they did in Year 10. :tongue:

We recently did end of year exams and I got 4 A*'s and 5 A's with some night-before revision for each exam. Subsequently my predicted grades as of my most recent report (summer term) were the same, plus an A* in English Language- we didn't sit an end of year exam in it.

I keep thinking more about GCSE's recently and what I'll get (I know there's a while still to come) but I'm even thinking about results and A-levels and everything. You'll probably tell me to relax but I over think everything. I'd quite like 10 A*'s however I'm not sure if it's an unrealistic thought because the girls who get straight A*'s in my school are super clever- top set for everything whereas I am in middle set for science and maths.

So- were your results different to your predicted grades? Do you think it's possible to get 10 A*'s without being a genius?

I think I was predicted A*A*ABB but I achieved better than that.
I think it's possible to get 10A*s without being a genius.

At my school EVERYONE made or exceeded their predicted grades for igsce. The only person who did not exceed her predicted grades was already predicted 8a*1a and achieved 10a*1a.
My friend was predicted 4as and 4bs and achieved 10a*. I was predicted 3a*6a and achieved 10a*. (We had taken subjects in previous years that's where the extra a* come from)
I actually found year 11 easier than year 10 cos year 11 was more focused on academics and studying while in year 10 we had projects. So don't worry too much. And if you're already achieving 5a*5a I'd say you're well on course to 10a*-I actually failed my add maths end of year 10 exam but achieved an a* in it in the end. Don't worry, it's not massively difficult, I didn't put that much effort in. The best advice I could give you is do a lot of past year papers.
It's good to think about this early, but don't get too stressed. Gcses aren't everything but having a good set of them means one less thing to worry about when applying to competitive universities. Good luck! Hope this was useful:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I got my IGCSE results yesterday.

My predicted grades were:
Maths A*
Double award science A*A*
English language A/B
English literature B
History B
Geography A
French A

And I came out with:
Science A*A*
English language A
English literature A
History A*
Geography A*
French A*
Maths still pending

So yes, my results were better than expected. Pretty surprised as I did almost no revision.
(edited 9 years ago)
Most predicted grades are lower than actual results... Im not sure if this is to stop getting peoples hopes up or whatever. But at gcse, I was told i could fail english and maybe only get a D, possibly C. I in actual fact got an A in English and exceeded my other predicted grades.. :smile: so relax, anything is possible
Reply 5
Original post by C0balt

Maths A*
English language A/B
English literature B
History B
Geography A
French A

And I came out with:
Science A*A*
English language A
English literature A
History A*
Geography A*
French A*
Maths still pending

So yes, my results were better than expected. Pretty surprised as I did almost no revision.

you got so good results when did you do your gcses oh soz just saw it was yesterday whats igcse
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Chocofan
you got so good results when did you do your gcses oh soz just saw it was yesterday whats igcse

Thanks

IGCSE is international GCSE, which is mainly taken by students outside of UK. But some students in UK also take them.
Cambridge International Examination (CIE) is the major exam board for IGCSE, and they release their results a lot earlier than other boards for some reason. This year, it was 12th onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I didn't have much variation between my prelim/predicted grades and my official ones but I went from 7As to 6As and a B in physics :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by C0balt

Maths A*
English language A/B
English literature B
History B
Geography A
French A

And I came out with:
Science A*A*
English language A
English literature A
History A*
Geography A*
French A*
Maths still pending

what sources of revision did you do in order to get such good grades??
Reply 9
Original post by suhena
what sources of revision did you do in order to get such good grades??

Nothing, really. You may not believe it but seriously next to nothing.

I have this lucky ability that I can absorb majority of information in class, and once I do past paper for class test I can sort of remember what sort of mark scheme each type of question will have. So I just need to skim through my notes from class a day before exam to refresh my memory and cram equations/names in, then I'm ready to go. That's all I did, really. Except for history I made notes but it's also nothing compared to what so many people do.

I guess I need to thank my mum for educating me at really young age. The hardwork my mum and I put in at such early age is now paying off in the way of being 'naturally' intelligent. The work I did at early age isn't maths and humanity and all that, it's sort of like the IQ test we do to measure our IQ.

The only things I tried to do for GCSE are:
- pay attention in class
- do (almost) every homework (tbh I couldn't care less about literature lol)
- ask after or during the lesson if you're unsure of anything at all and make sure you understand eveyrthing you learnt on the very same day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest