The Student Room Group

Year 12 ucas exams & clearing ( v much panicking )

I haven't finished all my year 12 UCAS exams yet so obviously haven't received my results but im really curious about clearings and what to do if I don't get the results I want ( ABB ). If that does happen then I wont be able to apply to any unis I really want to unless through clearing and leaving it so last minute with so much pressure isn't ideal. It would be so helpful to get advice and help from people disappointed with UCAS prediction exams ( maybe couldn't get into their dream schools ), who were able to do better in A-Levels. V anxious about the whole process, especially seeing the high grades that good unis require
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 5555YTJ
I haven't finished all my year 12 UCAS exams yet so obviously haven't received my results but im really curious about clearings and what to do if I don't get the results I want ( ABB ). If that does happen then I wont be able to apply to any unis I really want to unless through clearing and leaving it so last minute with so much pressure isn't ideal. It would be so helpful to get advice and help from people disappointed with UCAS prediction exams ( maybe couldn't get into their dream schools ), who were able to do better in A-Levels. V anxious about the whole process, especially seeing the high grades that good unis require

Hey 👋 year 13 here just finished my a levels. I did absolutely terrible in my year 12 mocks that decided my a level predicted grades (I got CCC). However I asked and I turned in extra work and managed to get predicted AAB instead so I think if you miss out and you prove that you’re willing to put work in to get your grades up then they’ll predict you a grade higher than you achieved or even two grades higher as they did for me (but they may have been a bit more lenient with me because I was in the hospital the weekend before the exams).
I think if you’ve shown that you can do better then they will predict you what you need for university as they don’t want to hinder your prospects and I put in effort and managed to maintain my predicted grades in in-class assessments sometimes even surpassing them. Don’t give up and prove to them you can do better if they are lower than you wanted.
Reply 2
Thank you for sharing I appreciate it!
Original post by 5555YTJ

Hi @5555YTJ

I'm not a current student, but hopefully, I can help give you some clarity around Clearing.

Of course, we are hoping for the best that you get the grades to go to the university of your choice.

In the event that you don't get the grades you were hoping for, going through Clearing could mean you're matched with a university you'd never considered or one that you may want to still go to. University Clearing is a system that matches university applicants who may have missed their conditions, anyone who has changed their mind about where they wish to study or anyone who hasn’t had an offer with institutions that still have unfilled places. It is also for anyone who is applying to university a year or more after their exams, and after a break from study, that may now feel ready to find a course.

The thought of it can definitely be daunting; so I can understand how you may be feeling but it doesn't have to cause any hassle or panic. Good universities will make sure the process is easy and they give you all the support you need to apply to a course through Clearing. They will likely have a dedicated team to talk you through it.

It's also important you also prepare for the process too. Here are some good tips/ things to know:

This year A level results day is on 17 August.

Clearing runs from 5 July to 19 October and applies to applicants who:

-Have not met the conditions of their offers
-Have not received any offers
-Have rejected all their offers
-Have applied after the 30 June

You will know whether Clearing is available to you if your UCAS Track status says 'You are in Clearing' or 'Clearing has started'.

Make sure you check your UCAS application as soon as you get your grades to know whether you’ll need to go through Clearing or not.

1. Check your Firm and Insurance places first

You should receive an email from your Firm and Insurance universities confirming whether you've been successful in obtaining a place.

If you have missed the grades you needed for both your Firm and Insurance offers, you may still have been accepted, so check UCAS first before you start applying through Clearing.

2. Calling university hotlines

If you do need to find a course in Clearing, you can start calling university hotlines.

If you've been offered a place on a course and want to accept, you need to add the course as your Clearing choice in UCAS Track.

Note: You can only enter one Clearing choice in UCAS Track.

Clearing moves at a rapid pace, so if you do want to apply to universities you should be ready to make calls and find out which courses are available at different universities quickly. Don't let this put you off though. Use your support network to help you through the process, your parents, family or friends.

3. Have questions ready to ask when you contact universities

This will help you get all the information you need to make the right choice.

Here are a few examples of what you might want to ask:

What accommodation can I apply for?
What are the typical living costs in the town/city?
What learning, personal and career support is there?
Am I eligible to apply for bursaries?
Are there any Clearing building tours coming up so I can visit the university?
Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

Hopefully, this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to advise or point you in the right direction.
Wishing you the best!

Ravensbourne University London
Almasi
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending