So I just received my AS results:

CORE MATHEMATICS 1 e 45

CORE MATHEMATICS 2 e 47

STATISTICS 1 d 57

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 1 c 66

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 2 c 68

MATHEMATICS E 149

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS C 134

So to give a little background, I left school at 14 to study at home and I got some pretty good GCSE, IGCSE and equivalent results (B in GCSE Science, A in OCR Nationals IT, A in IGCSE English, B in IGCSE Maths, B in IGCSE Geography plus an A in FCSE French).

Bring on AS levels in Autumn 2012, which I decided to study with NEC for, and things didn't go so smoothly. I wasn't the best of students which isn't great if you're studying at home and I didn't finish the curriculum in time culminating in my failure at my first go at my AS exams.

So I went with a better attitude into my second attempt and thought I did OK. Well turns out my Maths ability isn't as good as I thought it was. :frown: Why I didn't opt for English is anybody's guess.

So I'm stuck where I am now. I don't know what to to about Maths. I've already spent two years of my life on it and all I've got in return is an E halfway through which is going to be hard to improve on with A2. My politics result is OK but not what I was hoping for either.

I'm just after some advice as for what to do now. I'm concerned that I could so easily waste more time and I want to get to the end of these bloody A levels at some point and with grades I'm happy with too! Although this seems too much to ask for at the moment...
Original post by thejrb
So I just received my AS results:

CORE MATHEMATICS 1 e 45

CORE MATHEMATICS 2 e 47

STATISTICS 1 d 57

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 1 c 66

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 2 c 68

MATHEMATICS E 149

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS C 134

So to give a little background, I left school at 14 to study at home and I got some pretty good GCSE, IGCSE and equivalent results (B in GCSE Science, A in OCR Nationals IT, A in IGCSE English, B in IGCSE Maths, B in IGCSE Geography plus an A in FCSE French).

Bring on AS levels in Autumn 2012, which I decided to study with NEC for, and things didn't go so smoothly. I wasn't the best of students which isn't great if you're studying at home and I didn't finish the curriculum in time culminating in my failure at my first go at my AS exams.

So I went with a better attitude into my second attempt and thought I did OK. Well turns out my Maths ability isn't as good as I thought it was. :frown: Why I didn't opt for English is anybody's guess.

So I'm stuck where I am now. I don't know what to to about Maths. I've already spent two years of my life on it and all I've got in return is an E halfway through which is going to be hard to improve on with A2. My politics result is OK but not what I was hoping for either.

I'm just after some advice as for what to do now. I'm concerned that I could so easily waste more time and I want to get to the end of these bloody A levels at some point and with grades I'm happy with too! Although this seems too much to ask for at the moment...

I also studied Maths and got E's at AS, but I stuck with it, and found it easier second time round and got A's and B's. Considering you still got E's on your second attempt, have you considered going college? It can make a big difference! It's probably a lot harder studying at home with all the distractions. College will give you the structure you need. As you said, you didn't finish the curriculum in time either, so perhaps college is the next step?

Good Luck though in whatever you decide! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dreamitout
I also studied Maths and got E's at AS, but I stuck with it, and found it easier second time round and got A's and B's. Considering you still got E's on your second attempt, have you considered going college? It can make a big difference! It's probably a lot harder studying at home with all the distractions. College will give you the structure you need. As you said, you didn't finish the curriculum in time either, so perhaps college is the next step?

Good Luck though in whatever you decide! :smile:

Thanks. I'm considering everything at the moment. I guess I thought I could work my way through it (and I certainly did try very hard to) but so far it hasn't worked out as well as I thought it would. Like I said I'm looking at every and anything at the moment so your advice is a great help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest