The Student Room Group

How do you tell when you don't want to do your course any more?

So I am currently in the second year of my physics degree and I honestly don't know if it's still what I want to do. I had to do a foundation year to get in, and during that year I was incredibly motivated and passionate about doing physics. I studied constantly and achieved grades of 90+ % in most of the modules, I "knew" that I wanted to do physics and it drove me.

Then in the first year of the actual degree I got really disillusioned, I made some dumb mistakes like partying too much in the first semester which meant I pretty much spent the whole year in a miserable state of catch-up. I had to resit two modules only just managing to bring my GPA up from a 2-2 to a 2-1. I told myself that the reason I was so disillusioned was because I was playing catch-up and that, when second year rolled around, I would be on top of everything and I'd enjoy physics again.

But I'm not sure I do. I got sick in the first week and I've caught back up with the work, however the labs and my quantum mechanics module are about the only two bits of the ocurse I enjoy at the moment. I never ever think about physics in my free time, it's like it doesn't exist. My friends all say it's healthy to have a range of interests, but I feel like I should at least think about the thing I "want to do for the rest of my life" at least sometimes? Most of my extra-curricular activities revolve around mental health volunteering and it's something that I actually actively think about even when I'm not doing it.

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I don't really want to do physics anymore and perhaps I should pursue a career in psychology or psychiatry or something else entirely. But I can't change what I'm doing based of ifs and maybes.

So I'm wondering, other people at uni, when you aren't sure what you want to do anymore how do you decide? What do you do to help you figure out what's an interest and what's a passion?
Original post by skyeistrying
So I am currently in the second year of my physics degree and I honestly don't know if it's still what I want to do. I had to do a foundation year to get in, and during that year I was incredibly motivated and passionate about doing physics. I studied constantly and achieved grades of 90+ % in most of the modules, I "knew" that I wanted to do physics and it drove me.

Then in the first year of the actual degree I got really disillusioned, I made some dumb mistakes like partying too much in the first semester which meant I pretty much spent the whole year in a miserable state of catch-up. I had to resit two modules only just managing to bring my GPA up from a 2-2 to a 2-1. I told myself that the reason I was so disillusioned was because I was playing catch-up and that, when second year rolled around, I would be on top of everything and I'd enjoy physics again.

But I'm not sure I do. I got sick in the first week and I've caught back up with the work, however the labs and my quantum mechanics module are about the only two bits of the ocurse I enjoy at the moment. I never ever think about physics in my free time, it's like it doesn't exist. My friends all say it's healthy to have a range of interests, but I feel like I should at least think about the thing I "want to do for the rest of my life" at least sometimes? Most of my extra-curricular activities revolve around mental health volunteering and it's something that I actually actively think about even when I'm not doing it.

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I don't really want to do physics anymore and perhaps I should pursue a career in psychology or psychiatry or something else entirely. But I can't change what I'm doing based of ifs and maybes.

So I'm wondering, other people at uni, when you aren't sure what you want to do anymore how do you decide? What do you do to help you figure out what's an interest and what's a passion?

Hi @skyeistrying,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this. It sounds like a very tricky situation.

Before you make your choice I would consider talking to someone at your university about how this would work financially and see if you would be able to get to sit in a Psychology lecture for example. I currently study Psychology (in my final year) and I hope to pursue research. I discovered my passion through my placement year that I did with the university. I would recommend trying to get work experience with psychology related fields (which you already seem to be doing) and reading Psychology related articles to see if it something you might enjoy. I would also recommend exploring which careers you can go into with physics and trying to get work experience in those areas as you might find you enjoy the practical side over the theory that you do at university.

Do you know any students who changed degrees or anyone doing the degrees you want to do? Do bear in mind that people have different experiences of university.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck! Happy to answer any questions you have about Psychology. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by skyeistrying

@skyeistrying

Great question! ( "What's an interest and what's a passion?")

I think you can be passionate ( feeling) and that you can be passionate (committed) and that sometimes you can have the feeling and the commitment!

First, I think that you can be passionate about a subject without enjoying every module that you have to do. A subject has many different areas and so you are bound to enjoy some areas and dislike others that's perfectly normal.

It sounds like really went for it in foundation year, tried to relax more in first year but then fell behind and that now perhaps you are worried about falling behind again/ not being able to maintain a good grade-point average. It sounds like you have got the balance back this year with some volunteering work which allows you to think about something else outside of physics while also being committed to your studies.

You have just recovered from being ill, but your priority was to get on top of your work so I think you still have focus and drive. I think you are still passionate but I think you might be a bit fatigued with your subject, so it's nice that you can take a break from it all with your voluntary work. I think at some point you will be more energised again with physics, but I don't think you've lost your passion.

For example, a writer might go through a season where they really struggle to find the words to write. Nothing seems to come together and it feels like their talent or skill has gone. They are still making time to write, but it's just not happening but they are still committed ( it's a sign of their passion) even if they are not gushing about writing!

Perhaps they start volunteering with a food bank. They have time away from their desk and the chance to meet different people and to not think about writing. Maybe they do this for a few weeks, and eventually come back to trying to do their three hours a day writing. They find that now the words come. Now they have an idea. Now they are inspired. Now different things from their experience at the food bank finds a way into their work. Now they feel passionate again. They never stopped being committed to writing. They were passionate about writing: if someone had asked them at the food bank they would have said they were a writer, but now they feel like a writer.

What I am trying to say is: don't let your feelings be the judge of your passion, let your commitment be.

While you are still committed to attending your lectures, getting the work done (even for the modules that don't interest you much) then I think you still have your passion for physics. I think your volunteer work is an interest that is helping you relax and helping you to not constantly be thinking about physics, which wouldn't be healthy!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending