The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlevelsLPU
I am really interested in going to the field of marketing. However i keep hearing that its useless and some say its the best degree to take in the future. I am really confused and currently choosing A levels subjects. If it really is that useless then is there any degree i can take but still go into this field such as business administration or human sciences such as anthropology?
Thank You

Do a degree that you think you will enjoy and one that you can see yourself getting a 2.1 or a first in. I wanted to do marketing just because of the money, decided against it because the market for it is saturated and I'd probably find it boring and get a 2.2.

Do what you like and do it well and you'll stand out amongst the others, if you like marketing then do it. **** everybody else.
Reply 2
Original post by KrisCussans
Do a degree that you think you will enjoy and one that you can see yourself getting a 2.1 or a first in. I wanted to do marketing just because of the money, decided against it because the market for it is saturated and I'd probably find it boring and get a 2.2.

Do what you like and do it well and you'll stand out amongst the others, if you like marketing then do it. **** everybody else.

I love marketing and advertising so I will probably end up doing it but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up in a mess in the future.
Thanks for the response
If you love marketing then do it. I'm a current marketing communications student and I adore my course so it's easier to do well in it. I'm obviously biased but it's a really employable subject, particularly if you do a placement year. There are a lot of jobs in marketing, take a look at websites from magazines like Marketing Week or Marketing Magazine and they advertise plenty of opportunities. There are also a lot of opportunities for marketing graduate schemes with companies like Unilever or KPMG.
Reply 4
Original post by staceymkelly
If you love marketing then do it. I'm a current marketing communications student and I adore my course so it's easier to do well in it. I'm obviously biased but it's a really employable subject, particularly if you do a placement year. There are a lot of jobs in marketing, take a look at websites from magazines like Marketing Week or Marketing Magazine and they advertise plenty of opportunities. There are also a lot of opportunities for marketing graduate schemes with companies like Unilever or KPMG.

Thanks, i love marketing so thanks for the insight its just you know most people tell me that its useless but in the end i usually ignore other peoples opinion :P and just do what i want to do. What A levels subjects did you take and where are you studying so i have an idea of what to learn in the two years i have left in school :biggrin: thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
honestly i dont think it is, its a very pracitical degree compared to english, history, geography...so i think jobs for this degree shouldnt be so hard to find
Thanks, i love marketing so thanks for the insight its just you know most people tell me that its useless but in the end i usually ignore other peoples opinion :P and just do what i want to do. What A levels subjects did you take and where are you studying so i have an idea of what to learn in the two years i have left in school :biggrin: thanks :biggrin:

Do the subjects you like the most. After saying that, if you really like marketing, then you should also have some liking for subjects that involve writing. A good subject spread will consist of Maths, and English / History / Psychology / Economics, and can includes one Science subject if you have a science subject you like and are good at.
Reply 7
Original post by GandalfWhite
Do the subjects you like the most. After saying that, if you really like marketing, then you should also have some liking for subjects that involve writing. A good subject spread will consist of Maths, and English / History / Psychology / Economics, and can includes one Science subject if you have a science subject you like and are good at.

I was thinking of taking four subjects and i like all of them :biggrin: they are economics, sociology, psychology, history. I was going to take media studies instead of history or sociology but after researching a lot. Many top unis dont consider it a good subject :P what do you think :P
I was thinking of taking four subjects and i like all of them :biggrin: they are economics, sociology, psychology, history. I was going to take media studies instead of history or sociology but after researching a lot. Many top unis dont consider it a good subject :P what do you think :P

Excellent choice. Just check that universities don't have Maths as a requirement. They should not as only marketing research requires some background in statistics. More likely there may be some requirement for GCSE Maths as minimum.
Reply 9
Marketing is not useless if you want to go into that field.

Have you ever considered doing a joint honours degree...

Say Bsc Marketing and Management

This will complement the marketing you learn and allow you to broaden your career prospects into different fields.
Original post by godd

This will complement the marketing you learn and allow you to broaden your career prospects into different fields.

Very good advice. Check out the marketing related courses at University of Lancaster. http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/
Reply 11
Original post by godd

Oh i didn't know you could do that, that sounds really interesting I'll look into that :biggrin: Thanks
Reply 12
Excellent choice. Just check that universities don't have Maths as a requirement. They should not as only marketing research requires some background in statistics. More likely there may be some requirement for GCSE Maths as minimum.

I have checked plenty of universities they don't require maths, each course usually have statistics but they don't require A level Maths. Just a above C in O level/GCSE maths :biggrin: By the way should i choose History or Media Studies ?
I have checked plenty of universities they don't require maths, each course usually have statistics but they don't require A level Maths. Just a above C in O level/GCSE maths :biggrin: By the way should i choose History or Media Studies ?

History. More respected and gives you more options in case you change your mind to apply for other courses. Not uncommon for students to rethink their degree choices a year later when it is time to apply.

Fair enough, do what you want really. I go to Bournemouth Uni and at AS level I took English Lit, Italian, Psychology and Classical Civilisations :smile:
Reply 15
Not worth doing it at degree level. Do a strong academic degree for undergrad and then do CIM afterwards. Most marketing jobs require it so you'll still need to do it regardless, I know a few people that just have CIM alone and no degree.
Original post by Bsola
Not worth doing it at degree level. Do a strong academic degree for undergrad and then do CIM afterwards. Most marketing jobs require it so you'll still need to do it regardless, I know a few people that just have CIM alone and no degree.

I disagree. CIM is for those with no background in marketing to show employers that they can. A degree in marketing will equip you much better for the job than someone with an Economics or History degree learning the ropes on the job. There is much more to marketing than non marketers think.
Reply 17
I disagree. CIM is for those with no background in marketing to show employers that they can. A degree in marketing will equip you much better for the job than someone with an Economics or History degree learning the ropes on the job. There is much more to marketing than non marketers think.

CIM is a professional qualification, just like ACCA/CIMA/CIPD/CTA, you may have read accounts, HR, tax, marketing at university but you still need to do them if you want to progress in your career. But at the same time, you can have a solid career boycotting the undergrad route & doing any these professional qualifications on their own whereas you can't with just a university degree, hence it isn't really worthwhile, diversify & study something else.

In my experience (5yrs in PR & advertising) no one at the firm I worked for did marketing undergrad, was either MBA/CIM/experience. Marketing is one of those careers you really don't need a degree for & wouldn't suggest anyone spend £27k on. It is more of a promotional job for ex secretaries. The marketing dept is where most of our secretaries transfer to when they want a change.
Original post by Bsola
CIM is a professional qualification, just like ACCA/CIMA/CIPD/CTA, you may have read accounts, HR, tax, marketing at university but you still need to do them if you want to progress in your career. But at the same time, you can have a solid career boycotting the undergrad route & doing any these professional qualifications on their own whereas you can't with just a university degree, hence it isn't really worthwhile, diversify & study something else.

In my experience (5yrs in PR & advertising) no one at the firm I worked for did marketing undergrad, was either MBA/CIM/experience. Marketing is one of those careers you really don't need a degree for & wouldn't suggest anyone spend £27k on. It is more of a promotional job for ex secretaries. The marketing dept is where most of our secretaries transfer to when they want a change.

Well there is marketing and there is marketing. Just like people who dont think one need a management degree but go for an MBA later in career.
Reply 19
Huge difference b/w an MBA (with experience behind you) you & doing a 3yr extended Alevels ops I mean degree :rolleyes: in Business Mgt/Admin.

Latest

Trending

Trending