The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samba
:lolwut: Why, why would you?

What else is there? I've never been a fan of The Times and I don't want to read a tabloid for anything other than ****s and giggles. Apart from the s*n which isn't worthy of being used as a toilet paper.
Reply 4341
Original post by sr90
What else is there? I've never been a fan of The Times and I don't want to read a tabloid for anything other than ****s and giggles. Apart from the s*n which isn't worthy of being used as a toilet paper.

FT or nothing for me lol. Other than that, just the interwebs.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Makovic will have a similar learning curve like that Lamela dude in SPurs.

I just don't get the lovren guy. Crap face didn't displaced Agger instead of replacing him.

I rate Markovic as a player and I think he has a lot of potential but Lamela scored 15 goals in 30 Serie A starts before he joined Spurs at the age of 21. Markovic hasn't done anything as impressive as that so far.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
I rate Markovic as a player and I think he has a lot of potential but Lamela scored 15 goals in 30 Serie A starts before he joined Spurs at the age of 21. Markovic hasn't done anything as impressive as that so far.

But didn't Lamela cost 30million?

Annd it's always disappointing to realize that Kroos cost Madrid 20 million..
But didn't Lamela cost 30million?

Annd it's always disappointing to realize that Kroos cost Madrid 20 million..

Only because of his contract situation and he's on mega wages.
Original post by Zerforax
Only because of his contract situation and he's on mega wages.

We bought Markovic and Lallana for 45 million and that's excluding wages. It's not like we had the financing power
looking forward to tomorrow.
at some point we will literally have to improve - i don't think there's any way for a team including the players we have to consistently be this poor for an entire season.

i think the big difference is that balotelli will surely not be playing.
i'd give lambert a full game tbh - might not be awesome quality wise but he knows how to work with the players around him.
i've watched him for a long long time and i'm just amazed that rodgers has given balotelli so many chances while lambert is just sitting on the bench.

i know we bought him as an "impact sub" but we have to understand that with sturridge out, balotelli useless and borini not good enough, who else do we have?
I wish I shared all of your faith in Markovic but I really don't.
We bought Markovic and Lallana for 45 million and that's excluding wages. It's not like we had the financing power

I presume you meant "it's not like we didn't have financing power"

I can't believe you seriously think Kroos would have come to Liverpool. You're delusional if you think he would have.

If you're trying to use Kroos' transfer fee to explain how we overpaid for others, I already explained that his transfer was significantly lower than the market value as he only had one year left on his contract (and he still fetched 20mil).
Original post by Lúcio
looking forward to tomorrow.at some point we will literally have to improve - i don't think there's any way for a team including the players we have to consistently be this poor for an entire season.i think the big difference is that balotelli will surely not be playing.i'd give lambert a full game tbh - might not be awesome quality wise but he knows how to work with the players around him.i've watched him for a long long time and i'm just amazed that rodgers has given balotelli so many chances while lambert is just sitting on the bench.i know we bought him as an "impact sub" but we have to understand that with sturridge out, balotelli useless and borini not good enough, who else do we have?

I have watched every Hull game this season and tbh it doesn't really matter who Liverpool play at striker because they will probably do very little. With the 5 at the back formation it is so difficult for 1 forward to get anything from any of the defenders. The danger is coming from Sterling and Lallana getting in behind the full backs when they get forward and Coutinho picking them out. A lone forward against Hull should only be used for holding the ball up.

If you aren't a fan of Balo or Lambert in that way then I would seriously consider not playing a striker. Put Coutinho in the false 9 and tell him not to get too close to the defenders. He will get a lot of space as the centre backs will not want to push up to pick him up and the midfielders will have too many players to deal with to pick him up. If the centre backs do push up then they would be playing such a high line that Sterling would destroy them (Davies, Chester and Bruce/McShane aren't fast.)

In terms of the defence I would be a lot more worried for Liverpool. The main thing that you can't defend is crosses and that is what Hull are best at. It has been made very clear this season that Liverpool are absolutely incapable of defending any type of cross. Mignolet is superglued to his line, Skrtel just abuses the striker and Lovren gets lost. Given the fact that Hernandez, Diame, Dawson, Chester, Bruce/Mcshane are all very good in the air this could be a nightmare for your defence. Elmo puts in the most crosses in the league and Robertson is very good at picking someone out. If you can't stop it once it has been put in then you have to stop the crosses. That means playing Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho right on the shoulder of the full backs. If you stop them from getting forward then Hull have almost no width (apart from possibly Ben Arfa drifting wide but that is unlikely.)

Other than that, you just need to not give away cheap set pieces and you might be allright. No stupid kicks out out at Ben Arfa or Hernandez because they will go down. Also you have to play 3 in the middle of midfield (presumably Gerrard, Henderson and any of Lallana/Can/Coutinho/Allen or you will be overrun by actually not a bad midfield unit.

If i'm honest I think Hull will get a result which could just be blind faith but mostly because Liverpool just can't defend crosses. Score prediction is probs 2-1 Hull but if Liverpool do stop the supply of crosses then they should win.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alex Doran
I have watched every Hull game this season and tbh it doesn't really matter who Liverpool play at striker because they will probably do very little. With the 5 at the back formation it is so difficult for 1 forward to get anything from any of the defenders. The danger is coming from Sterling and Lallana getting in behind the full backs when they get forward and Coutinho picking them out. A lone forward against Hull should only be used for holding the ball up.

If you aren't a fan of Balo or Lambert in that way then I would seriously consider not playing a striker. Put Coutinho in the false 9 and tell him not to get too close to the defenders. He will get a lot of space as the centre backs will not want to push up to pick him up and the midfielders will have too many players to deal with to pick him up. If the centre backs do push up then they would be playing such a high line that Sterling would destroy them (Davies, Chester and Bruce/McShane aren't fast.)

In terms of the defence I would be a lot more worried for Liverpool. The main thing that you can't defend is crosses and that is what Hull are best at. It has been made very clear this season that Liverpool are absolutely incapable of defending any type of cross. Mignolet is superglued to his line, Skrtel just abuses the striker and Lovren gets lost. Given the fact that Hernandez, Diame, Dawson, Chester, Bruce/Mcshane are all very good in the air this could be a nightmare for your defence. Elmo puts in the most crosses in the league and Robertson is very good at picking someone out. If you can't stop it once it has been put in then you have to stop the crosses. That means playing Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho right on the shoulder of the full backs. If you stop them from getting forward then Hull have almost no width (apart from possibly Ben Arfa drifting wide but that is unlikely.)

Other than that, you just need to not give away cheap set pieces and you might be allright. No stupid kicks out out at Ben Arfa or Hernandez because they will go down. Also you have to play 3 in the middle of midfield (presumably Gerrard, Henderson and any of Lallana/Can/Coutinho/Allen or you will be overrun by actually not a bad midfield unit.

If i'm honest I think Hull will get a result which could just be blind faith but mostly because Liverpool just can't defend crosses. Score prediction is probs 2-1 Hull but if Liverpool do stop the supply of crosses then they should win.

I'm liking the analysis
So everyone is saying Lambert should start against Hull over Balotelli but what about Borini?
Reply 4352
So everyone is saying Lambert should start against Hull over Balotelli but what about Borini?

I'd play lambert and Borini and revert back to the diamond
I presume you meant "it's not like we didn't have financing power"

I can't believe you seriously think Kroos would have come to Liverpool. You're delusional if you think he would have.

If you're trying to use Kroos' transfer fee to explain how we overpaid for others, I already explained that his transfer was significantly lower than the market value as he only had one year left on his contract (and he still fetched 20mil).

Yes..

Even though Kroos' personal preference may not be Liverpool, it shouldn't have deterred Liverpool from pursuing him.

The contract situation hardly matters if the buying party identifies someone as a valuable addition to the team.

But whatever.
Original post by Stirlo
I'd play lambert and Borini and revert back to the diamond

I don't understand the obsession with the diamond. It only worked last season because Sturridge and Suarez were so good that it was impossible to drop either of them.

We play a diamond with those 2 up front and we're very narrow and are asking our midfield to cover a lot of ground.

Although when we attack, it still ends up being a 3-4-3 I guess.
Yes..

Even though Kroos' personal preference may not be Liverpool, it shouldn't have deterred Liverpool from pursuing him.

The contract situation hardly matters if the buying party identifies someone as a valuable addition to the team.

But whatever.

Haha you actually think Kroos might have picked Liverpool over Real Madrid/staying at Bayern Munich?

There are plenty of conversations in football and no doubt someone spoke to his agent and heard he wasn't interested or we heard his wage demands and didn't follow up.

Wtf? The contract situation makes every difference. If a player only has 1 year left on his contract and can leave on a free the following summer, his value dramatically drops compared to a player who still has 3+ years to run.

If Kroos still had 2-5 years left on his contract, Bayern wouldn't have sold unless it was 30-40mil+
Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Gerrard, Lallana, Sterling, Allen, Balotelli

Subs: Jones, Toure, Johnson, Henderson, Coutinho, Markovic, Lambert
Reply 4357
im befuddled. How many chances does mario deserve?
Hendo??!?!?!?!!?!!?!!!!!??!?!?!
Drops Johnson. Good
Keep Balo. Bad
Drops Coutinho. Bad. Why?

Henderson is a fit youg lad, pointless resting him this early on in the season. aking him of early if we're winning (lol) fair enough but we need fast starts and a large part of that is from Henderson's intensity.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest