The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cBay
I feel like it's worth pointing out we were only 5 points better off this time last season

I noticed this, not bad considering the start we've had.

If we can get a similar result against Leicester we can carry some momentum into the new year, especially with Chelsea in the League Cup coming up.
what do we think of the 3-4-3 system then?
something to consider for the future or just a lucky game?

i feel like with the attacking nature of our young fullbacks and the fluidity of sterling/coutinho/lallana on the frontline, it's something that could potentially work very well for us.
i also don't think it would be an issue reintegrating sturridge as the spearhead of the attack too.

definitely worth considering since that was one of our best shows of attacking chemistry i've seen this season.
Love this formation (which I suggested a few weeks ago and got laughed at lol)

However just a question of what happens when D Studge comes back, like do we keep this and drop Sterling or Lallana or do we go back to the 4-1-2-1-2 that worked so well last season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just drop Lallana or Coutinho, play Sterling on the wing.
I expect Balotelli and Sturridge to start with Sterling at tip of diamond.

Lucas
Henderson Can/Coutinho
Sterling/Lallana
Sturridge Balotelli

Fairly solid team. You guys should sign Schneiderlin tbh.
Fwiw Gerrard should play when Sturridge comes back and Allen should just stop getting a game for Liverpool entirely. Can looked pretty good today at CB too.
Original post by jam277
Fwiw Gerrard should play when Sturridge comes back and Allen should just stop getting a game for Liverpool entirely. Can looked pretty good today at CB too.

Can was the personification of what we need, calm on the ball, decent passing range.... Just feel he may be wasted there as he seems to be a boss of a DM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7847
Original post by jam277

apart from the goals, Sterling has been poor in recent weeks. The guy needs a rest. Meanwhile, Lallana and Coutinho are on good form and linking up well. I don't see why either should be dropped. Markovic is also playing well and would deserve a place on the wing just as much as Sterling. Ultimately, there will of course be some rotation, but I think if we were to continue playing Sterling it would be at RWB.

Re other posts: Tactically, i don't see why we would switch to a diamond when Sturridge is back. Last season we generally played better as a team with a 4-3-3, but that meant pushing one of our strikers out to the wing where they couldn't be as effective. The diamond was simply a way of getting the best out of both of them. When we have an abundance of quality in 'playmakers' and 'inside forwards', but only one decent striker, it makes no sense to switch back to a diamond.

The reason that the diamond and 3-4-3 work for us is much the same. It's about the front 3 overloading the centre of the park with players that are always on the move. I could go into more detail about exactly how this works and makes us so much more of threatening attacking force, but people on here rarely seem to be bothered about that sort of thing.
Original post by jam277

Can't drop either on current form.

Sterling looks like he's running on empty, though. Need to take him out of the spotlight for a few games in January I think.

He suits playing through the middle in my opinion, he just needs to work on that end product and decision making. What Gary Neville was saying on MNF is true. He doesn't strike the ball like a true forward, but if he learns to, he can play up top for years.

I always thought Walcott would suit being a striker, too.
Original post by JamesR12
The stuff you said about Sterling was off topic and incorrect, so I just deleted it. Nothing you said about the pressing makes sense in the first para, and your post in large parts doesn't seem to address what I said, just some general repetition.

The way the you phrase the idea that Henderson can win the ball back and 'then he can play the simple pass to Sturridge to score' just makes me laugh. Because pressing leads to that and it will always be as easy as that hahaha. And then your assessment that playing Henderson behind the striker is the only solution in order to get some pressing is wrong, the idea that we NEED to press is wrong, the idea that we already do press is wrong, and the idea that Rodgers wants to press is probably wrong as well, because we're now two and a half years in and we've never looked like a proper pressing team.

Bale and Ramsey were both youth prodigies. Absolute monsters at youth level, who showed technique and 'magic' in a way that Henderson never has - and their 'overnight' (in actuality over a period of time) transformations were more a result unlocking the vast, already seen potential in them rather than getting quality levels out of them that never existed, as would have to be done with Henderson. Has Henderson ever shown something similar, other than fat Steve Bruce saying some vague overhyped bull in order to inflate his price tag? The idea that Henderson can do a Ramsey-esque elevation into a top quality goalscorer is just silly, because Ramsey at youth level at least showed he had that top quality. Has Henderson ever shown it? Do you ever see it from him now? No.

Gerrard scored a good amount, even in his younger days. If you look back to when he was 20 he scored 10 goals in a season - he showed the ability at a very young age and it was evident that he always had it. In the Houllier years, and he's quoted this, he primarily saw himself as a defensive player - aka not the role that Henderson is being used in today. Moreover, everyone knew Gerrard had the quality in him - as I alluded to before, his repeated long range wonder goals and cool finishes from the edge of the box showed this.

No. I showed you why Henderson is statistically unproven at all levels, and then I gave you the reasons why his statistics are so poor.

We take a reasonable amount of long shots. Gerrard, Coutinho, Balotelli and Sterling to a lesser extent are all encouraged to shoot from range. Suarez and Sturridge regularly do/did. Henderson is never - because he's not good enough and everyone knows it. Who has highlighted Henderson's runs from the deep as a strong point? Can you give 4-5 examples of them? Runs from the deep work only when your finishing at the end of them is passable and Henderson's isn't.

Comparing anyone to a 23 year old Steven Gerrard is silly because at the age of 23 he was already proven as one of the best midfielders in the league, and he had numerous goals and performances in big matches, finals, and a PFA YPOTY trophy. And at the end of 03-04 he was subject to a £20m from Chelsea, which was £8m more than the bid for Lampard a few years before that (and you can bet that we could have eked that out to £25m if we wanted to). He was magnificent. Naturally talented and playing to a level that Henderson never will, even at the ages of 23-25. Ball control, dribbling, long shots, long passes, headers, tackling, he was the prototype box to box midfielder and as good as it came, even at those ages. What was lacking very slightly was goals and that was due to Houllier's shackles. Enter Rafa, welcome to goals and all time great performances. Henderson already has a progressive manager who's done huge amounts for his game. The truth is that he just doesn't have the talent level that Gerrard did - few ever will. And that means the comparison is silly. If you argue that he can do what Gerrard did to a lesser scale and make a transfer to number 10 anyway, you need to look at the comparative skills required to make the transfer to number 10, the main one of which is finishing and goalscoring, and as addressed above, Henderson's finishing and goalscoring is abysmal, unproven and never seen, in comparison to that young Gerrard.

Pressing high up the pitch means you're closer to goal with the ball and more likely to create a chance. When you win the ball, the opposition are in transition and out of position and therefore you're more likely to create a chance. It's not my fault you can't understand a simple concept.

We pressed more and higher (along with more direct football) with Suarez and Sturridge last season. Admittedly in Rodgers' first season there was more sideways passing and this season there seems to be no discernible tactic but that stems from the team fundamentally having changed in set up due to selling Suarez and Sturridge missing for the season.

Every manager decides how they want to set up their teams but its laughable that you think pressing high is wrong. We've seen Guardiola do it with Barcelona and now with Bayern, we've seen Klopp's Dortmund side do it to great success (other than this season) in recent years, even Simeone's Atletico do it to an extent. Mourinho's Chelsea press to hit on a transition rather than just high up the pitch but that's why he needs pacey and hardworking players and he sells any player who can't fit that model (see Mata).

I'm talking about the Henderson who broke into the Sunderland side aged 19 and was one of their best players for two seasons despite his young age The Henderson who captained the under-21 England side and has now been made our vice-captain. He's obviously caught someone's eye other than Steve Bruce since he was seen was a "young player to watch" in 2011 (http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/136/357/3/index.html). Now I know that has limited meaning but it's an example that he wasn't just some mediocre youth player like you seem to think.

Bale was awful for Spurs for the first 2-3 years at Spurs. He couldn't displace Assou-Ekotto. He played LB for a fair while before he really started putting in top performances. Ramsey was seen as good but Wilshere was seen as a better prospect for a long time. Ramsey looked like he may be set back by that horrific leg break and he was away from the game for a long time. Credit to him for working hard but few Arsenal fans thought he'd be such a regular goalscorer.

So you've picked the one Gerrard statistic that you like and ignored the others? After the one season you've highlighted, Gerrard scored 3, 5 and 4 league goals in 3 seasons between 2001-04 (Henderson scored 2, 5 and 4 in the corresponding years when he was the same age as Gerrard). So Gerrard's statistics showed he was a great goalscorer but Henderson's statistics, which are the same show, he's a terrible goalscorer?

Learn to read. I didn't say Gerrard wasn't one of the best young talents of his generation and I didn't say Henderson is going to become the next Steven Gerrard, very few will do that. All I said was that I can see elements in Henderson's game which are similar to a young Gerrard at 23. Gerrard wasn't the finished article at that point. I don't understand why it's difficult to understand that a comparison does not mean the same as.

Anyway we're not going to agree on this. I think Henderson will become one of our most important players over the next 2-4 years and you think we should sell him.
Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalana :lol:

[video="youtube;wRKhL3lDns8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRKhL3lDns8[/video]
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
You guys should sign Schneiderlin tbh.

Can.You.Not.

I know a few clubs are in for him but I hope he's not top of their target list.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
You guys should sign Schneiderlin tbh.

Liverpool signing a decent player? Won't happen, they're more likely to bid £20m for Jack Cork.
I hope Gerrard isn't starting on Thursday, the team played much more better without him. I hope it's the same team and formation, Hendo did really well in CM and that's his best position. I don't like seeing him shunted onto the right wing as he is just wasted there. 2 goals and 6 assists in the PL from him so far which is good considering we've only scored 23 goals whereas this time last year we scored 43. Last season he managed 4 goals and 7 assists so he should surpass that easily this season.
Original post by The.Joker
I hope Gerrard isn't starting on Thursday, the team played much more better without him. I hope it's the same team and formation, Hendo did really well in CM and that's his best position. I don't like seeing him shunted onto the right wing as he is just wasted there. 2 goals and 6 assists in the PL from him so far which is good considering we've only scored 23 goals whereas this time last year we scored 43. Last season he managed 4 goals and 7 assists so he should surpass that easily this season.

Who are we playing on Thursday ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henderson can become a more prominent member of the team but I see both sides of the argument wrt Henderson, he never really was going to full on replace Gerrard but he can easily add goals to his game as he gets into good positions and makes good runs, as said before his goal+assist tally is quite good for a utility midfielder, he's on track to get 12 assists in the league if not more but he needs to try and turn to a double figure goalscorer to really improve his game, with him taking over freekicks and corners(and possibly pen duty) he can add goals to his game via that alone, I don't think the squad needs immediate improvements bar at DM and at striker. Arguably at CB too but Can seems competent enough there and same for Toure and Sakho.

The rest of the players have time on their side to improve over the season and surely you can't start as badly this season next season once Rodgers finds a working system.

Personally I'd play Henderson and Coutinho together with Gerrard in the deep CM spot, so a 3-1-4-2. There's been a lot of action recently so since Gerrard was rested he should get a start.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AsandaLFC
Who are we playing on Thursday ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leicester.
Original post by Zerforax
Pressing high up the pitch means you're closer to goal with the ball and more likely to create a chance. When you win the ball, the opposition are in transition and out of position and therefore you're more likely to create a chance. It's not my fault you can't understand a simple concept.

We pressed more and higher (along with more direct football) with Suarez and Sturridge last season. Admittedly in Rodgers' first season there was more sideways passing and this season there seems to be no discernible tactic but that stems from the team fundamentally having changed in set up due to selling Suarez and Sturridge missing for the season.

This is pretty much exactly why Balotelli was a calculated risk that failed. Rodgers is right for once - high pressing is simply not in his game. We look so much more dangerous with Sterling up top.
Original post by Mackay
This is pretty much exactly why Balotelli was a calculated risk that failed. Rodgers is right for once - high pressing is simply not in his game. We look so much more dangerous with Sterling up top.

Well it's two part. Balotelli doesn't press up the pitch but also he comes to the ball whereas a player like Sterling and Sturridge will often go away from the ball to get in behind/beat the offside trap.
Original post by sr90
Liverpool signing a decent player? Won't happen, they're more likely to bid £20m for Jack Cork.

Think I heard £23.5m somewhere for Berahino.

Quick Reply

Latest