The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCAssistant93
Just gunna put it out there but I don't think grad med will be around In 3/4 years time. I guess it is too late now but I will ask anyway, why boimed then medicine and not just medicine from a level. Why do a first degree to throw it away really?

As for UKCAT, if you have the funds to do it every year then I don't think that is a bad idea. The more times you do it the better you get, in general, and you'll be very familiar with the way it's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont have the right GCSE grades nor the correct AS grades for undergraduate entry 😔 if i could I really wouldn't have done a degree in biomedical science but i really want to become a doctor so its the only way I can see right now I do know that there are courses such as bradford and leicester where I can do 1 year and then transfer if I get the grades and pass the interview but the big question is what if i dont get a space i'd have wasted a whole year so i'd much rather do grad med if its still around! warwick are a grad med only medical school so i reckon they wont change?

(sorry for c&ping) i dont know how to add lots of quotes into one reply
Original post by wciselko
Hi,

Biomedicine will really help you when starting a degree in Grad Med (saying that it still exists). I would pick a volunteering job somewhere where you can observe a medical setting to draw on examples on how you have developed working in a team, communicating well etc. Regularly read medical journals or medical news.
I am not sure about the UKCAT - I took it once - I just made sure to study beforehand - but I am not one of the people who got 800+, so better ask them.

Bare in mind though that Grad Entry is more competitive than normal entry medicine, so think carefully (I am not sure about your reason for choosing this route - it might be suitable). If it is about your GCSE grades than make sure you look at grad entry requirement as I think some of them look at your GCSEs unfortunately. If I had to go back in time, I would still choose this route as I do not see my first degree as time wasted and I know that I made the right decision, but it depends on your individual situation and circumstance.

You can PM me if you need more help and advice and good luck with it all! :smile:

thank you so much! i hope it is still around when i finally reach there.
my gcse grades are fairy average for a normal applicant but not a medicine applicant. forever wishing i took year 10&11 seriously!!
i think if i do biomedical science first i wont struggle as much as I would of if i did medicine straight away but i cant do that anyways
thank you again xx
Original post by Alexdaman93
I definitely wouldn't recommend intentionally doing another degree then doing GEM. Personally, I regret not quitting my degree when I realised it wasn't for me and that I wanted to do medicine. I could've got in to medical school relatively easily then compared to now as a graduate. If you don't want to volunteer now, that's fine, but how do you know you'll want to in your final year at uni (which is when it's going to matter, as that'll be when you apply)? You would be much better off taking a gap year now and doing some voluntary / care work for a year, and apply for a 5 year course.

Also, realistically I think you need to think about the likelihood of there actually being GEM courses by the time you've graduated. Last year saw the closure of one course, this year has seen the closure of Bristol's. With potential changes in EU legislation on medical tuition, it's unlikely there will be a graduate entry medicine route in the future. (In my opinion!)

I am doing some volunteering now, i help out at my old primary school but thats compulsory as its during school hours. I enjoy it and I will definately carry on with it.
Hopefully grad med schools wont close but im sure warwick wont but if thats the only school around it will be super competitive!!
i wish wish wish I could apply to the 5/6 year course but I dont have the right academic profile or I wouldnt have applied to biomedical science.
thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by xoharrypotter
I am doing some volunteering now, i help out at my old primary school but thats compulsory as its during school hours. I enjoy it and I will definately carry on with it.
Hopefully grad med schools wont close but im sure warwick wont but if thats the only school around it will be super competitive!!
i wish wish wish I could apply to the 5/6 year course but I dont have the right academic profile or I wouldnt have applied to biomedical science.
thank you for your reply :smile:

If the legislation changes even Warwick would have to adapt. They bought the course from Leicester and Leicester have scrapped it. Ideally, if accelerated courses go, the funding situation would adapt so that a loan could be taken out by those wishing to take a second degree and willing to live with 100k of student loan debt.

If GEM doesn't exist, it would only take a year or two working full time and living with parents/fully financially supportive partner to be able to self fund a 5 year medical degree. It's not an option many could rely on but could be worth having as a back up plan. Some A100s have different academic criteria if you apply to them as a graduate - like Leicester, a good ukcat and 1st class honours could counteract average A Level results.
Original post by HCAssistant93
I know people who studied for a year, people who studied for 6 months and some who did it for 2-3 months. There is no definitive answer. If you have a science degree then for the next two months work on essays and write loads. Practice all the gamsat papers and practice timing it as the biggest restriction for section 3 typically.

I improved my score massively from having 6 weeks revision with a full time job, to revising for 3 months and not cramming and also knowing what to expect second time round.

If you're going to do it, start now and fully commit. If you have the funds to do it twice then I would do it this March and then in September if you need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice I have a pharmacy degree so science background, guess I'll go for it and if it's poor go again later in the year. Are there any books you would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone post the link to the kings college gem discussion? Can't seem to find it! 😖
Original post by Gaara Sama
Can anyone post the link to the kings college gem discussion? Can't seem to find it! 😖

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3635029
Trying to get stuck in to writing my dissertation to take my mind off anything medical school related. It's super interesting but I'm finding it so hard to focus! I fear this will continue for the next few months until I've heard back from everywhere :colondollar:

Thank you! It's so quiet compared to the others I wasn't so sure!
Original post by Shellfish002
Hopefully! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

They just sent me an invite!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Congratulations.
Congratulations :smile:
Original post by LilithSternin
Trying to get stuck in to writing my dissertation to take my mind off anything medical school related. It's super interesting but I'm finding it so hard to focus! I fear this will continue for the next few months until I've heard back from everywhere :colondollar:

I know that feeling: I'm in the middle of a few exams for my final year and it's hard to focus on revision... Then will come my dissertation writing in the run-up to Easter which will inevitably be the same :P
Watching the doctors' picket line from my window. Looks bloody cold but there's a reasonable turnout.
Original post by Quilverine
Watching the doctors' picket line from my window. Looks bloody cold but there's a reasonable turnout.

Me too! We did a collection in R&D and provided lots of Comfort food!
Just got a date for interview at SGUL - hooray for that. And they've been kind enough to work around my (considerable!) timing constraints. An enormous amount of paperwork required on the day. Is there an SGUL-specific thread, by the way?
Original post by rosalita
Just got a date for interview at SGUL - hooray for that. And they've been kind enough to work around my (considerable!) timing constraints. An enormous amount of paperwork required on the day. Is there an SGUL-specific thread, by the way?

I got one too :smile: ! 9th of Feb at 3 :smile:
Don't think there's a specific thread as far as I'm aware
There does seem to be a lot of stuff to bring along though !
Original post by Amywool
Me too! We did a collection in R&D and provided lots of Comfort food!

Lush :smile:

The hospital is coping beautifully today (A&E is always mental so no real difference there) it's a great atmosphere and things are working efficiently, consultants everywhere. Some of them aren't dressed in their usual suits so possibly they aren't even working just come in to support. Our department had a proper lunch break for only the second time since April and saw the on call HO medic, she was having a good shift-even had time to eat which is super unheard of!
St George's interview!!

Original post by kethan
I got one too :smile: ! 9th of Feb at 3 :smile:
Don't think there's a specific thread as far as I'm aware
There does seem to be a lot of stuff to bring along though !

Here is the thread :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3729065
Original post by rosalita

Congrats!

Now the email refreshing begins again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending