The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceco_moev
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank you that you will look at my questions.

1)Given that I apply for HSPS and in my PS I write only about politics and sociology, would I be asked any questions in the interview regarding Social and Biological Antrophology, IR, etc.?

2)Since I have been ranked in top 3 in many math contests, should I only mention 1 or 2 more important and asked my teacher to put the rest of them in my referance? Or is it better not to mention any particular competitions?

I really appreciate taking your time to answer those questions.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there and thank you for your questions.

1) The interviewers can come from any discipline within HSPS and they may discuss things related to their own subject but it would be in a general way and would not presuppose any knowledge on your part. Given your interest in Politics and Sociology, however, it is likely that a significant chunk of the interview/s would focus on those areas.

2) You should certainly mention the more prestigious of these in your PS as they are good evidence of further study.
Original post by chuenstefani
Hello there,
First of all thanks for starting this thread, hopefully you'll have time to answer my questions. :-)
1.I'm looking to apply for philosophy, however i haven't studied it at AS, so what kind of questions will be asked if I'm going to submit a college essay from another subject?

2. The three subjects i am now studying are maths,econ and sociology, in which i got 286/300, 178/200 and 164/200 ums marks respectively. That averages out to just under 90% so hopefully I'll get an interview. But what is a slight concern is that 1) the distribution is quite uneven (95% in maths and 82 in socio) 2) the scores i got on different papers also vary. Would these be factors that the admission officers consider?

3. i got an A* in A level chinese back in high school, but I've heard that since it's my native language it can't be used as one of the grades IF i get an offer. Is that true? Or does it can it still be considered as one of my a levels?

4. I made a huge mistake in paying little attention to my GCSE's and ended up with 1 * 4A and 5B excluding Chinese. i know that Cambridge doesn't require a magnificent set of A*s and A's, but I'd like to ask, would i get credit for improvement...? (Or am i being a bit too optimistic)

Thanks for taking your time and reading this. I hope my questions are clear. :-)

1) If the essay has philosophical elements in it, we might ask about those and the relations between the subject of the essay and Philosophy. Alternatively we may just ask you further questions on the essay that are not necessarily related to Philosphy. We may not ask you about it at all.

2) We will consider all these things. Uneven performance across and within subjects can mean a number of different things and we would think carefully when assessing the paper application and at interview about your strengths and weaknesses.

3) The A* in Chinese won't form part of your offer if you got one.

4) You will get some credit for improvement yes, though I can't put a figure on it.

I hope this is helpful and good luck in your application.
Original post by Fifa97
Hi,
If I retake my biology and chemistry coursework and rise from 47/60 to 60/60 and 51/60 to 58/60 then my average will rise to about 94.2% from 91.9%. Do you recommend this or would it not make a difference due to my exam performance being the same? Or should I just mention in the additional personal statement my concerns about my coursework marks causing my ums % to not represent my true potential?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, your retakes will not come through before your application is considered and decided upon so I should just mention it in the additional PS.
I have a question about filling in the SAQ. I sat an AS maths module in june year 10 and got a C(63). I resat in jan year 11 and got a good A (100). Do i need to show that i retook it on the SAQ, as i understand if you sat something in year 12 jan but retook in june then you dont need to show that you had to retake?
I have another question regarding references. I was a private candidate this year and I taught myself the entire A level course however I don't have any referees as such who could provide with a proper reference.
I have my registered educator, who is my mother (she is actually a teacher as well but she did not teach me any A levels apart from Russian) as well as a teacher from a center where I sat my exams who supported me with my coursework essays.
Prior to this I had went to a school but they are in another country and have no knowledge of the A level course, also the teacher who taught me is, as I'm told, retired.

I guess I'm in a pickle here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1885
Original post by Christ's Admissions
At Christ's all our students with 97%+ best three average for Economics received offers from Christ's.

Did all these students have further maths AS?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1886
Original post by sr-96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FanaticEV
I have a question about filling in the SAQ. I sat an AS maths module in june year 10 and got a C(63). I resat in jan year 11 and got a good A (100). Do i need to show that i retook it on the SAQ, as i understand if you sat something in year 12 jan but retook in june then you dont need to show that you had to retake?

You need to submit both the original and the retake.
Original post by sr-96

Posted from TSR Mobile

All our A Level offers for Economics this year at Christ's had or went on to take Further Maths to at least AS.
Original post by AlexKay99
I have another question regarding references. I was a private candidate this year and I taught myself the entire A level course however I don't have any referees as such who could provide with a proper reference.
I have my registered educator, who is my mother as well as a teacher from a center where I sat my exams who supported me with my coursework essays.
Prior to this I had went to a school but they are in another country and have no knowledge of the A level course, also the teacher who taught me is, as I'm told, retired.

I guess I'm in a pickle here.

That is a tricky situation. I suppose that the reference should come from your mother, as your registered educator, but will unlikely form a large part of our deliberations.
That is a tricky situation. I suppose that the reference should come from your mother, as your registered educator, but will unlikely form a large part of our deliberations.

Could I put two references in, just in case? Because my mother will probably write a reference on my work/study ethic as well as my Russian A level which she taught me etc however the teacher who supported me with my coursework can write about my actual work because it is the subject I am applying to, so I figure admissions tutors would like to read about my work in English Literature.
Also, would being a post- a level candidate put any ease on the references requirement?
(edited 9 years ago)
You need to submit both the original and the retake.

Will i be disadvantaged a lot by this considering it was sat in year 10 and retake was in year 11
Original post by AlexKay99
Could I put two references in, just in case? Because my mother will probably write a reference on my work/study ethic as well as my Russian A level which she taught me etc however the teacher who supported me with my coursework can write about my actual work because it is the subject I am applying to, so I figure admissions tutors would like to read about my work in English Literature.
Also, would being a post- a level candidate put any ease on the references requirement?

Right. What you should do, then, is to get the other teacher to write the reference but using some comments from your mother as your other teacher. It is usual that the reference writer will use comments from subject teachers in the reference and this will get round your mother actually writing the UCAS reference.
Original post by FanaticEV
Will i be disadvantaged a lot by this considering it was sat in year 10 and retake was in year 11

No, you won't be disadvantaged.
Hello,
I have a question regarding the Human, Social and Political Sciences Tripos. While studying the course is it also possible to take optional papers in economics? I would like to specialize in politics and international relations but I find economy to be very useful in this domain, so I would like to study it too.
It's fine to have your UCAS PS more about Economics, we expect Land Economy applicants to have a UCAS PS aimed at other courses. You can discuss Land Economy in the additional PS box in the SAQ if you wish.

Well, you haven't provided me with a great deal of information to go on but from what you have, I would expect you to be reasonably competitive at any college you wished to apply to for Land Economy.

Thank you so much for creating this thread and answering my question, I was afraid that you would just ignore me due the lacking in information I provided.:colondollar: (let me remind you since you helped so many candidates, I got AAA* in AS, oh, and by the way I'm an international student, please don't get annoyed by my poor word choice and grammatical mistakes. )

I'm not very confident to compete since my average percentage is only 86 and my economics surprisingly is the weakest one(81%) mainly because of my serious anxiety about exams which has been haunting me my whole life. I really want to reveal more of my ability on land economy, and the ranking thing is just pulling me backwards, so do you think interview can help me prove myself and minimise the negative effect of my test results?

Am I still a competition in Land Economy based on my current data? According to your professional experience.
Again, thank you so much!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there and thank you for your questions.

1) The interviewers can come from any discipline within HSPS and they may discuss things related to their own subject but it would be in a general way and would not presuppose any knowledge on your part. Given your interest in Politics and Sociology, however, it is likely that a significant chunk of the interview/s would focus on those areas.

2) You should certainly mention the more prestigious of these in your PS as they are good evidence of further study.

Thank you for answering my question. Unfortunately, I have forgot to ask one more thing so you would have to again pay attention to me :smile: So, given that in my PS for Philosophy, I write that, for example, I am interested in Middle age and Modern philosophy, would I be asked something about Greek or Roman philosophy? I suppose I made my question clear...

Than you in advance for answering!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sir, if i do get called for interviews (for medicine), am I expected to read a lot out of syllabus, like journals and stuff? Or would work experience be enough to provide meat for the interviews?

Thank you :biggrin:
In my personal statement, should I discuss an issue raised in a book that I read and succinctly discuss my views on the issue?

I am not able to dedicate a lot of space to discussing my views but I could mention them. Should I state my opinion in my personal statement? My teachers are saying that it is unnecessary and a waste of precious characters.
Reply 1899
I am also an international student in Jakata but we do the IB. Is this a problem? I am sure it is not.
Also do you think that this is a suitable advice for the personal statement as a summary?

Again thank you for your help, sometimes feel literally on the other side of the world?

Latest

Trending

Trending