The Student Room Group

Failed my chances of Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayJay-C19
I know how you feel. I had Cambridge as an aim and was peedicted between 4 and 6 A*s and only came out with 2As. Pretty disappointing.

Hey! Did you just get your GCSE results? If so, how did you do?
Original post by Mr...
Oxford itself could be out of the picture but Cambridge might take you if you make a dramatic increase when you do your AS and if you get good predicted grades.

There's no logical reason to think Oxford would be out of the picture for OP, judging from the performance at GCSE so far.
Reply 22
Original post by SummerPi
I got A*AABBBCCDD at GCSE and still got interviews at top universities including Cambridge. Just try and get top marks in your AS-Levels, get top predicted A2 grades and you'll be fine.

Your GCSEs are actually amazing, you've nothing to worry about.

What uni did you go to at the end?
What was the Cambridge interview like?

Thank you for the encouraging words, you dont know how much it lifts my spirit.:smile:
Original post by Noble.
They are fine for a large portion of Oxford's courses. Especially ones with admissions tests, where a good score would override your lower-than-average GCSEs. My GCSEs aren't too different from yours.

Lower than average? Are you having a ****ing laugh?

Allow me to direct you to this useful and insightful thread I made on why it's stupid to cry over high grades.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2811605&p=49649567#post49649567
Reply 24
Original post by Typhoon235

Allow me to direct you to this useful and insightful thread I made on why it's stupid to cry over high grades.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2811605&p=49649567#post49649567

He clearly meant lower than average with regards to what a standard Oxford applicant might offer at the time of application.

Edit: To OP, your grades are fine, concentrate on your AS Levels now.
Original post by Mr...
"could be"
I just thought that because Oxford put a significant amount of emphasis on GCSEs :redface:

It contributes in a candidate tie, but I think the reality for something like Law is a very heavy reliance on LNAT + A levs achievement + interviews.
Sorry if anyone is being deceived but even on the Oxford website they do rely quite a lot on good GCSE's, however it does all depend on your course. This is the case for ANY university.

Some courses for Oxford and Cambridge require admission tests, this added to a potential interview and your personal statement and your A Level results determine your place. So the best thing to do, in my opinion, is see if there's any exams worth resitting or remarking, if not then just go into A Levels and work hard. Try and get an idea of what course you wish to study, check the requirements on the websites for different unis.

And finally, don't give up hope. Oxbridge are the best universities in the UK, in general. If you look and university league tables, you will find that other unis surpass them depending on the course.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Mini Mina
What uni did you go to at the end?
What was the Cambridge interview like?

Thank you for the encouraging words, you dont know how much it lifts my spirit.:smile:

I'll be starting at Warwick this September! :smile: I also got into Durham and Bath.

The Cambridge interviews were terrifying - I really didn't prepare enough at all :frown: Seriously, prepare as much as you can... have mock interview with subject teachers and think about subject questions they could ask you.
I applied for Computer Science with Maths so the best way of preparing for that was to look at really hard maths questions and try to work through them. They give prompts if you get stuck and they don't expect you to be able to solve problems in a split second, they want to know your thought process. Saying everything you are thinking when answering a question is another tip I can give you! I'm not sure what you're planning on studying but I'm sure this relates to all subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
I recieved 1A*, 6A's and 2 B's
I keep getting upset over how much lower they are from my expectations.
Have i failed my chances of Oxbridge?

No. I have a friend that got 2A*s, a few A's, a few B's and a couple of C's and they got into Oxford (the part of Oxbridge that focuses more heavily on GCSEs). Just make sure you do well in your AS's and you'll have as good a chance as anyone else.
Reply 29
Original post by Typhoon235

It should have been blindingly obvious I was referring to the average Oxbridge student. It's entirely pointless talking about a 'national average' in this context when clearly someone who is classed as average on a national scale is not going to be going to Oxbridge.
Reply 30

This is like me, my expectations were high but at least this will motivate me to work SO hard at a level
Oxford are the only uni which care about GCSEs. If you aspire to apply to Cambridge, just be sure to do well and get high UMS in your AS' - GCSEs don't matter too much

My cousin got 3 A* 5 A and 3 Bs and he is in cambridge doing physics.
So I'm sure you have a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jake4198
Oxford are the only uni which care about GCSEs. If you aspire to apply to Cambridge, just be sure to do well and get high UMS in your AS' - GCSEs don't matter too much

Yeah, no. Maybe you ought to put 'the only uni which cares A LOT about GCSEs'.
Original post by Mr...
Oxford itself could be out of the picture but Cambridge might take you if you make a dramatic increase when you do your AS and if you get good predicted grades.

Thnaks for your reply :smile:

Do you think if i dropped maths after AS and still get good predicted grades, will cambridge be still willing to take me, or would they prefer maths as a full A level?

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Reply 36
You're grades are good and as people have said make sure you work hard at a levels and get a good result on the LNAT and it will help your chances. I would also try and get some work experience in law firms as it will make your application and personal statement look better when it comes to applying for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I really should do more research but what is this infamous LNAT that people keep referring to?
Is it some sort of Law exam and how are you supposed to complete it if you are not doing law at A-level.
Original post by SummerPi
I got A*AABBBCCDD at GCSE and still got interviews at top universities including Cambridge. Just try and get top marks in your AS-Levels, get top predicted A2 grades and you'll be fine.

Your GCSEs are actually amazing, you've nothing to worry about.

Woah! Well done! I got 7 As and 5 Bs but really want to do Law at Oxford. Do you think I can get into Oxford with those grades and by trying really hard at my A Levels?
Honestly, very possibly.

The most important part is that Oxbridge don't look at the grades compared to the national average, but instead they compare it to the rest of you're school. So if you did exceptionally well compared to the rest of your year, then it should be fine. Otherwise, yes you have very little chance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending