The Student Room Group

Can I still do medicine/dentistry?

Hi all, I've always wanted to do either medicine or dentistry but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades will disadvantage me a lot as I expected to do better. I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and economics for AS and I know I can do really well if I work my socks off. I've also been doing and arranging volunteering/charity work in order to boost my chances.

I got -
RE - A*
Maths - A
Physics - A (getting remarked)
Chemistry - A
English Lit - A
Geography - A
Biology - B (getting remarked)
English Lang - B
Spanish - B
Business Studies - B

So atm,I've got 1A*, 5A's and 4B's but if my remarks are successful it could end up looking like 2A*'s, 5A's and 3B's. Do you reckon that I still have a chance of doing what I want?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ahhhhh, The classic asian

Yeah, you still have a chance:smile:
Volunteering and Charity work isnt really going to boost your chances. You need to have experience dealing with people. The universities need to know you can care for people in a correct manner. My advice, is to go get some work experience, or do your volunteering at a hospital
Original post by Rizqhy
Hi all, I've always wanted to do either medicine or dentistry but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades will disadvantage me a lot as I expected to do better. I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and economics for AS and I know I can do really well if I work my socks off. I've also been doing and arranging voulunteering/charity work in order to boost my chances.

I got -
RE - A*
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
English Lit - A
Geography - A
English Lang - B
Spanish - B
Business Studies - B

So atm,I've got 1A*, 5A's and 4B's but if my remarks are successful it could end up looking like 2A*'s, 5A's and 3B's. Do you reckon that I still have a chance of doing what I want?

Hopeless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jakebarker1605
Volunteering and Charity work isnt really going to boost your chances. You need to have experience dealing with people. The universities need to know you can care for people in a correct manner. My advice, is to go get some work experience, or do your volunteering at a hospital

I recently did a week of work experience at a local dental surgery and I'm going try and use contacts there to arrange further work experience eg at an orthodontist's.
Original post by Rizqhy
I recently did a week of work experience at a local dental surgery and I'm going try and use contacts there to arrange further work experience eg at an orthodontist's.

That's exactly what you wanted to do. Well done. The more you get, the higher the chances.

Sarcasm?
Reply 7
Original post by Rizqhy
Hi all, I've always wanted to do either medicine or dentistry but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades will disadvantage me a lot as I expected to do better. I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and economics for AS and I know I can do really well if I work my socks off. I've also been doing and arranging volunteering/charity work in order to boost my chances.

I got -
RE - A*
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
English Lit - A
Geography - A
English Lang - B
Spanish - B
Business Studies - B

Medicine isn't just about GCSE grades. Getting into medicine depends on other factors: AS/A levels, UKCAT/BMAT and Personal statement.

GCSE's grades are a hoop you need to jump through for pretty much every medical school. Some hoops are harder than others. You need to do your own research and find out which medical schools are not GCSE heavy and place less emphasis on this aspect of the application. Your GCSE grades are fine for quite a few med schools.

Your chances are as good as anyone else if you apply smartly and too your strengths!
Medicine or Dentistry ? Sounds like you haven't even made up your mind yet as these are 2 completely different career choices!! Is this what YOU want to do or has a family member pushed you towards these 2 careers?
Reply 9
I got in with just 1 A* and the rest all As. This was 4 years ago though. So requirements might have changed but I doubt they have changed to all A* at GCSES.

I will say that I had 4 As at AS-level a 775 UKCAT and tons of work experience. My dad's a doctor so he arranged a lot of it for me. Nepotism is the best thing ever.
Original post by Rizqhy

I got -
RE - A*
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
English Lit - A
Geography - A
English Lang - B
Spanish - B
Business Studies - B

Firstly congratulations on the results, secondly you are still in with a shout. You just have to be very tactical when it comes to your applications. As someone said above, there are plenty of med schools (no idea for dentistry as I'm a medic) that those are fine for; there are however some which you should definitely avoid (Cardiff, Oxford and Birmingham spring to mind). Somewhere on TSR there is a med school guide so give that a look and then just nail AS, BMAT/ UKCAT, volunteering, PS etc.

Good Luck
Reply 11
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Medicine or Dentistry ? Sounds like you haven't even made up your mind yet as these are 2 completely different career choices!! Is this what YOU want to do or has a family member pushed you towards these 2 careers?

Haha, no they are entirely my choice. I've always wanted to have a career which involves helping people and both medicine and dentistry offer that.
Reply 12
Original post by Rizqhy
Haha, no they are entirely my choice. I've always wanted to have a career which involves helping people and both medicine and dentistry offer that.

yes this!! just because someone wants to do medicine it doesn't mean people should assume it's the parents' decision XD

Why is it that asian parents want their child to do medicine or dentistry?
Original post by Azula
yes this!! just because someone wants to do medicine it doesn't mean people should assume it's the parents' decision XD

You'd be surprised by the sheer number of medical students that solely did it to impress there folks.
Original post by ando181
Why is it that asian parents want their child to do medicine or dentistry?

Fame, money, popularity within the society. Asian parents love to boast about there children.
Original post by Rizqhy

I got -
RE - A*
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
English Lit - A
Geography - A
English Lang - B
Spanish - B
Business Studies - B

I'm in a similar kind of situation...just SMASH your A levels then you will have a chance. InshaAllah.
Fame, money, popularity within the society. Asian parents love to boast about there children.

Holy ****, being a doctor or dentist means that much to asians?
Original post by ando181
Holy ****, being a doctor or dentist means that much to asians?

its the money really.

says 18 year old forced into doing medicine.
Original post by ruthlessv
its the money really.

says 18 year old forced into doing medicine.

Medicine doesn't make any money until you're a consultant or a GP, dentistry makes more money than medicine (which explains why so many asians decide to do dentistry instead)

Guess you're right then lol

Quick Reply

Latest