The Student Room Group

Law Applicants Profile 2015 (Gathering AS/A2 students for Law)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flossiexx
hello! happy new year and as we all know that UCAS application has now closed. just hoping for a quick update from you guys and see if any of you've received any offers yet :smile:

cheers

Offers from Liverpool and York. Waiting on QMUL, Bristol and Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current Year: Third year at sixth form :frown:
GCSEs: A*AAAAAABBC Dist. Merit
AS Grades: BBCU- Achieved B-Predicted
Retake(s)?: Nope
A2 Prediction/Results: CC-Achieved AB-Predicted
LNAT (if applicable): N/A
Work Experience: Two years charity work, 3 weeks charity work in Kenya, part time job
Extra-Curricular: Bar mock trial, extra reading, court visits, UEA law summer school, prefect
Universities applied to/decisions:
Anglia Ruskin: Law LLB, Conditional offer (280 UCAS points across 4 A Levels)
Nottingham Trent: Law LLB, Conditional offer (280 UCAS points across 3 A Levels)
Nottingham Trent: Law with Advocacy LLB, Conditional offer (280 UCAS points across 3 A Levels)
University of East Anglia: Law LLB, Conditional offer (AA in English Language and Law)
University of Essex: Law and Human Rights LLB, Interview (4th February)

I may be proof that no matter how hard you mess up your first year of sixth form, you can pull it back and still get into a law degree.
Original post by flossiexx
hi:smile: have you got any offers from your unis?

I have! Got four now, just waiting on Nottingham. I'm definitely firming Oxford though! :smile: I'll update my post.
I thought that law was a really difficult degree to do and you have to be passionate and like reading as there is lots of it , surely if one's A levels are not that great how do some think they will ever do a degree in it? Just a question ?:colondollar:
Original post by debs_111
I thought that law was a really difficult degree to do and you have to be passionate and like reading as there is lots of it , surely if one's A levels are not that great how do some think they will ever do a degree in it? Just a question ?:colondollar:

I know that personally my A levels are not so great but that is due to both mental health issues in previous years and the fact I took A levels that were not suited to me. I started off doing Maths, Further Math, Physics, Fine Art and Classical Civilisations. I ended up being kicked off both Maths courses and got my U in Physics because of lack of attendance due to my mental health and I hated them. Then I got my two C's at A2 in Fine Art and Classics, which is mostly due to the fact I was pretty useless at them. My ability to make a successful art project will not hinder me in my legal studies and neither will the fact that I was disinterested in Classics and couldn't get my head around Roman "historical" literature written by men who were just huge gossips.
Reply 25
Original post by debs_111

Exactly, you have to be passionate about law. The practice of retaining information that is spoon fed to us and the ability to sit a very narrow exam does by no way mean that someone will ever be able to 'do a degree in it'. The fact that I find it difficult to retain information on the changing religious position of England under Edward VI does not mean that I do not love medical negligence and want to pursue a career in it.

Unfortunately it does mean my chances of getting into a 'better' university are restricted, which I think is a major flaw in our education system. Personality should count as equally as grades. I wrote about this for my LNAT essay.
GCSE: A* in English, A in Maths, French, Religious Studies and English Lit, B's in Dual Science, History and Drama
A levels: NONE lol
LNAT: Didn't take
Work experience: 10 years in banking of which 8 years are in business banking
Universities applied to: Birkbeck unconditional offer
Update: offers now from Bristol, Warwick, York and Liverpool. Rejected from QMUL (wtf?!). Will be firming Bristol and Insuring either Warwick or York.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending