The Student Room Group

How to do well at Biology a level?

Mostly just memory? My Biology teacher said if we just memorise the max grade we'll get is a C so its no good just memorising?

I do OCR Biology
(edited 9 years ago)
You need to understand it and do exam papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tj789
Mostly just memory? My Biology teacher said if we just memorise the max grade we'll get is a C so its no good just memorising?

Definitely not just memorising at A level. There are a lot of application questions, questions where you have to think for yourself and knowing a few steps will not help. There are also questions that require a certain technique, so past papers are vital. (Something that by not doing, stopped me from getting an A) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Bit of exam technique. They tend to be picky on the mark scheme regarding the wording, that's why memorisation-type learning comes into play a fair bit. Past papers make the biggest difference.

Understand and explain something perfectly, but don't use the 2-3 key words they want, they won't give you full marks on a question. I've been caught out like that, it's nonsensical.

You need to follow what's happening, as it will make it easier to remember things, but a lot of the exam questions will be recall - so list the X steps in this process, label this, and occasionally 'explain' questions, which really breaks down to just linking a couple of points together.
Reply 4
Its exam technique all the way and that DOES NOT just mean memorising the textbook (though obviously quick recall of detail is required), the mark schemes typically want a particular style of wording, yet the questions are typically nearly all application questions. It can be frustrating, the grade boundaries are atrociously tight, but hard work and patience does pay off!!!
Reply 5
1) Stay ahead of the class by making detailed notes throughout the year

2) Read these notes regularly

3) Do practice questions when you have time

4) Closer the the exams, do every single practice paper and then learn the nature of mark schemes

The last bit is where the application comes in, memorising alone will get you a C or B at most. In my unit 2 exam in the summer, the exam was about 90% application (interpreting data, etc.) with very few marks available for spilling out knowledge, so people who simply memorised did badly.
Reply 6
Original post by robhughes
1) Stay ahead of the class by making detailed notes throughout the year

2) Read these notes regularly

3) Do practice questions when you have time

4) Closer the the exams, do every single practice paper and then learn the nature of mark schemes

The last bit is where the application comes in, memorising alone will get you a C or B at most. In my unit 2 exam in the summer, the exam was about 90% application (interpreting data, etc.) with very few marks available for spilling out knowledge, so people who simply memorised did badly.

Yep this is so true! Are u talking about AQA Biol2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by 2en1
Yep this is so true! Are u talking about AQA Biol2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the one everyone on here complained about! Luckily it had low(ish) grade boundaries
I did OCR too. I think memorising is another way of saying understanding - the more you memorise the better understanding you get. So obviously it's crucial to memorise necessary details from the text book. Another important thing to do to get a high grade is to understand what the exam questions are testing you, which is done by doing some past papers. Finally if you want to get A* or 100% you need some to think out of the box, which may be improved by some extra reading outside lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest