The Student Room Group

A-level biology- is it worth it?

I am currently doing Politics, Biology and English Language and am in my first year of college. I'm getting A's in Politics, B's in English Language and recently got an E in biology. I plan to do international relations or law at university and biology isn't necessary for either of those degrees. Still, it is a good A-level, so I have reservations about removing it. However, I'm starting to believe that doing another A-level (open to recommendations) that I can do well at will be more beneficial. I have some reservations about double blocking but I'm sure I can handle it. However, I do want a biology A-level is there any way I can move my grade up as the recent test I did will be worth 40% of my predicted grade and if the stress is even worth it?
Original post by Amelianekita
I am currently doing Politics, Biology and English Language and am in my first year of college. I'm getting A's in Politics, B's in English Language and recently got an E in biology. I plan to do international relations or law at university and biology isn't necessary for either of those degrees. Still, it is a good A-level, so I have reservations about removing it. However, I'm starting to believe that doing another A-level (open to recommendations) that I can do well at will be more beneficial. I have some reservations about double blocking but I'm sure I can handle it. However, I do want a biology A-level is there any way I can move my grade up as the recent test I did will be worth 40% of my predicted grade and if the stress is even worth it?

i do politics psychology and bio and TRUST ME if you're struggling with bio now and it's not necessary for international relations it's not worth it - my situation would have been similar to urs this time last year however i was unable to switch biology as it was too late and it's now one of my biggest regrets and i don't even need it to study international relations at university..
Reply 2
Original post by sshoooooooo
i do politics psychology and bio and TRUST ME if you're struggling with bio now and it's not necessary for international relations it's not worth it - my situation would have been similar to urs this time last year however i was unable to switch biology as it was too late and it's now one of my biggest regrets and i don't even need it to study international relations at university..

How's psychology? I'd consider switching to it but I'm not sure because I am terrible at maths.
How's psychology? I'd consider switching to it but I'm not sure because I am terrible at maths.

Hey!
I do psychology at alevel, its is an amazing alevel and if you are good at recall it’s literally just remembering the content!
Also there is barely any maths at all- (at least in my board which is aqa) just easy gcses maths like work out the range, mean, median or mode, which I am sure you can do!
And i find it very interesting, you sometimes have to create your own research and its so fun!
So if you think you are good at absorbing/ learning information and then applying to scenarios, you will find it easy.
I forgot to mention it is a very essay based and you already do eng lang so you might want to consider that before making a decision.
I hope it works out for you,
Good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
Hey!
I do psychology at alevel, its is an amazing alevel and if you are good at recall it’s literally just remembering the content!
Also there is barely any maths at all- (at least in my board which is aqa) just easy gcses maths like work out the range, mean, median or mode, which I am sure you can do!
And i find it very interesting, you sometimes have to create your own research and its so fun!
So if you think you are good at absorbing/ learning information and then applying to scenarios, you will find it easy.
I forgot to mention it is a very essay based and you already do eng lang so you might want to consider that before making a decision.
I hope it works out for you,
Good luck!

Also, I do Biology too and in my personal opinion, psychology is muchhh easier to get an in A in and has extremely less maths compared to Bio

Hi @Amelianekita,

No law degree I know will ask for Biology A Level, however, the law profession does rely on high academic grades and A levels are sometimes looked at even when applying to a job having done your undergrad and vocational training. Therefore, I would recommend doing a subject which you think you can do well in but will also enjoy. If you love Biology then perhaps stick with it but be aware it will require a lot of work and could result in lower grades overall. Equally, if you do not want to do another subject then be aware that this may not result in a better grade as all A levels require a lot of work and it is hard to do well in something you do not enjoy or are interested in!

Sorry this isn't majorly helpful but, ultimately, it is a decision you will have to come to on your own depending on what you think you will enjoy more and how this may impact your grades looking forward.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

i was sooo bad at maths at gcse but the maths in psychology is really not much difficulty!

Quick Reply

Latest