The Student Room Group

What can I study at university with these A-Levels?

Hey guys. I'm an international student currently doing Maths, Economics & History for my A-Levels.

I have never really been passionate about anything. I sort of have an interest in film production but that's just out of the question (parents would never support me)

I'm really having a hard time deciding what to study. I've never really liked anything.. Any suggestions as to what sort of degrees I can get into with those A-Levels as well as career prospects?

sorry. just a bit lost.
Reply 1
Anything linked to maths or economics. Business studies, maybe law (not 100% certain on that one), History...
To be honest, if you don't know what to do then it's worth taking a year out. There's no point wasting your money and time by going to university and doing something that you don't enjoy and won't therefore be successful in.
Reply 2
I'm considering it. But my parents would never budge.
Can't you compromise, say something like Film engineering (If that even exists)?
What has been your favourite subject at school? If no one subject pops into your head right away, draw up a list and eliminate from worst upwards.

What would be your dream job/career? Regardless of activities involving money (unless of course, that's all you want, in which case look at accountancy/banking/finance) what would you have fun doing?
Reply 5
My favorite subject would probably be History.

My dream job would be to work as a film director. It ain't realistic though
Original post by Abdo332
My favorite subject would probably be History.

My dream job would be to work as a film director. It ain't realistic though

I'm sure there are a lot of History and Film Studies degrees floating around, have a look into them and see if you like the sound of it. Regardless of what comes out of it, you will probably regret not going for what you really want to do in the end. I've changed my mind myself and gone for what I really want to do, and I've seen a few friends do the same this year, such as going from getting an offer to Physics to going to do Music through clearing.

The majority of people on here will say that they're idiots, and you should do a "good" degree at a top 10 or at the very least top 30 uni aka a STEM subject.. don't fall into that trap, do what YOU want to do, it's not the choice of people on TSR or your parents, it's your choice and your future :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by blackened_sky
I'm sure there are a lot of History and Film Studies degrees floating around, have a look into them and see if you like the sound of it. Regardless of what comes out of it, you will probably regret not going for what you really want to do in the end. I've changed my mind myself and gone for what I really want to do, and I've seen a few friends do the same this year, such as going from getting an offer to Physics to going to do Music through clearing.

The majority of people on here will say that they're idiots, and you should do a "good" degree at a top 10 or at the very least top 30 uni aka a STEM subject.. don't fall into that trap, do what YOU want to do, it's not the choice of people on TSR or your parents, it's your choice and your future :smile:

thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about all my options now thanks to you.

Again, thank you.
Original post by Abdo332
thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about all my options now thanks to you.

Again, thank you.

Happy to be of help :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest