The Student Room Group

York this year, or Oxbridge/UCL next year?

Hey all, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. This year I achieved AAB in my A-Levels and went through the adjustment program to turn down my offer at Newcastle University to go to the University of York to study History. I'm studying History because A) I enjoy it, and B) I don't know what I want to do for a career.

Thing is, recently my school's exams officer rang me up and told me that two of my papers deserved a remark, so I agreed to have them put forward and re-evaluated. One of the papers has returned and my overall grades are now AAA. The other paper, English Literature, is only one mark of an A* and I'm currently waiting on it coming back. If I've went up to A*AA which is possible (touch wood) I'm stuck between two options and I'm having a hard time choosing. Either I go to York anyway because I have my heart set on there now and I move in in less than two weeks, or alternatively I take a year out and apply to LSE, UCL, Durham, Oxford or Cambridge next year and in the mean time do work experience.

Thing is, is the workload at the top-band uni's so intense that there's high levels of stress and little time to enjoy yourself? I don't know if I'll be studying history then, maybe English or Law, and in all honesty I want to go to uni to have a good time as well as get a good degree (in balance, of course). I'm also a city lad, and think I'd probably be more suited to LSE and USL/ISL's scene and culture.

My A-Levels are Biology, Literature and History.

Any advice is appreciated, basically what I'm facing is a conflict between two things: Happiness and certainty with good career prospects; potential unhappiness and uncertainty with excellent life-time career prospects.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks all.
Original post by scurr
Hey all, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. This year I achieved AAB in my A-Levels and went through the adjustment program to turn down my offer at Newcastle University to go to the University of York to study History. I'm studying History because A) I enjoy it, and B) I don't know what I want to do for a career.

Thing is, recently my school's exams officer rang me up and told me that two of my papers deserved a remark, so I agreed to have them put forward and re-evaluated. One of the papers has returned and my overall grades are now AAA. The other paper, English Literature, is only one mark of an A* and I'm currently waiting on it coming back. If I've went up to A*AA which is possible (touch wood) I'm stuck between two options and I'm having a hard time choosing. Either I go to York anyway because I have my heart set on there now and I move in in less than two weeks, or alternatively I take a year out and apply to LSE, UCL, Durham, Oxford or Cambridge next year and in the mean time do work experience.

Thing is, is the workload at the top-band uni's so intense that there's high levels of stress and little time to enjoy yourself? I don't know if I'll be studying history then, maybe English or Law, and in all honesty I want to go to uni to have a good time as well as get a good degree (in balance, of course). I'm also a city lad, and think I'd probably be more suited to LSE and USL/ISL's scene and culture.

My A-Levels are Biology, Literature and History.

Any advice is appreciated, basically what I'm facing is a conflict between two things: Happiness and certainty with good career prospects; potential unhappiness and uncertainty with excellent life-time career prospects.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks all.

Funnily enough my English Lit A level is one mark from an A* too (I'm also waiting to hear back about my remark)! And I'm about to study History :biggrin:

Basically, I think with the grades you have, York for History is fantastic and it's certainly well respected so you should feel proud about what you have achieved. Indeed, any future employer is likely to care far more about your final degree mark than where you actually attended university so don't worry about that.

Worrying about applying to a new university seems silly if you're still waiting to hear back from your remark, which might not change at all. If it does change then the option is completely up to you. You have to weigh up the benefits of a higher ranked uni against the stress and hassle of having to apply again. Add to that the pressure of having to organise relevant work experience. Essentially, are you happy with York? What are your motivations for going to UCL, Durham, Oxbridge etc aside from reputation? Do you want to take a gap year? Do you feel obliged to go to a top 5 uni because of the grades you might end up with? I also think you have to address the reasons behind your hesitation of starting at York... are you entirely happy with the course?

UCL and LSE are hugely selective and A*AA is not a guarantee of a place, in fact only 1/12 get a place at UCL for History. You also have to justify the additional cost of attending a London university. I applied to UCL last year for History and declined my offer because accommodation was £7,500 a year which was just way too much for me. Also, UCL and LSE have a reputation for being a bit socially disconnected, as London universities they don't have the same student community as can be found almost anywhere else in the country.

Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest