Turn on thread page Beta

List of "tacky" tech such as Apple, Dr.Dre etc watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And after putting the resolution on windows up to 4k and seeing how atrocious the UI scaling is I've been completely put off until they fix it.
    At the moment, 4k is just a good way to heat your graphics card up and not a lot more.

4k streaming really gets me. I'd rather a higher bit rate 1080p really.

Ultrawide, now that is something I could get in to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    At the moment, 4k is just a good way to heat your graphics card up and not a lot more.

4k streaming really gets me. I'd rather a higher bit rate 1080p really.

Ultrawide, now that is something I could get in to.
    Given how cool Maxwell runs even under heavy load and with a slight Oc (not bothered going heavy yet) I have no issue with pushing it up to higher res for the marginal increase in quality of some aspects of some scenes (unless you know what you're looking for in a side by side image 1080p vs the pseudo 4k you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference) and given how little power it draws (and that I'm in halls) I don't really mind running at the higher resolutions in game when it doesn't compromise frame rate. As I said in the previous post, given how close 1080p 23" is to the human limit, even for somebody with fairly exceptional vision, I have limited interest in 4k when I get some other tech for the same price with more noticeable effects, namely a smaller resolution increase (for a fair bit less) and/or higher refresh rates.

Already dropped windows back to 1080p because I had a slightly less elegant but far more practical (in that it gave me back a usable UI) solution to the problem I was having. Well, less practical too until I get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Tacky isn't really the word I'd use to describe that tech. Apple products and gaming peripherals are luxury items, tacky is a word I'd use to describe cheap knock-offs.

I used to be wooed by cold hard technical specs instead of going with what's popular, feeling smug I'd done the research and therefore know better. Also it's cool to hate Apple,Microsoft whatever's popular right ?

I bought the IRiver instead of the iPod, the Sony reader instead of the kindle, an android after my iPhone. And you know what ? It was often a mistake. Kindle was better than the Sony reader and IMO my old iPhone feels far more polished and better quality than the new android, iOS is far better.

Also I'm not convinced that gaming branded peripherals are inferior. My mechanical "gaming" keyboard was only £50 at overpriced pc world(I went for cherry blues being a coder). I'd be interested in links to mice you think are better at the same price point as the gaming mice from Logitech, Razor, Steelseries.

I think the lesson here is you can't just assume the masses are ignorant idiots who can't read a spec sheet. Sometimes the popular products actually deserve the rep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 26, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.