The Student Room Group

What would you have done differently if you could do your GCSE'S again

Hi guys, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong place, but I wanted to talk to people who have done their GCSEs, which is why I put it here. I'm just embarking on the ride, and I would really appreciate any tips, or regrets that you share!
Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've done half of my GCSE's yet so far. No regrets:smile:
Just try your best.
What I regret is freaking out so much..
I (and a huge number of people) got so nervous and scared of those weeks, I shouldn't have let it affect me so much haha :colondollar:
For example, before a lot of exams I would revise all night like crazy and felt terrible the next day...

You should try to be organised, not as in having a perfect revision timetable but just make sure you don't leave it until the last minute like I kinda did

I still got pretty good grades though.. (4 A*s, 6 As and a B).. most people do better than they expect :smile:
First of all, I'd have taken physics instead of home economics. This could be seen as silly bc I've actually won an award for my grade in GCSE H.E but it is absolutely nowhere near as respected as physics is. Furthermore, I want to apply for medicine and my options are limited as a large number of medical schools require it for entrance.

Secondly, I'd have tried not to dislocate my knee :biggrin: I missed a lot of school in year 11 down to the vast amount of time I was in hospital/physio and my further maths GCSE especially suffered (came out with a B, predicted an A*).

But thirdly, and most importantly, I wish I'd have fretted much less. In the end I did very well, came out with 7A*s, 3As, 1B despite having a hard time that last few months. Now knowing how tough AS levels are, I wish I'd taken more time to enjoy myself throughout my GCSEs!

Best of luck over the next two years, I hope you get everything you deserve and more :smile:
I'm only in year 11 but I would try to get the work/leisure balance right so you can fit the work in but don't burn out. I ended up doing too much work last year and I made myself ill. Prioritise on the core subjects and the ones you find most important. Also take the coursework you do in year 10 seriously so that you don't have to retake it whilst doing exams at the end of year 11.

Ask the teacher as soon as you are confused- the more you don't ask the bigger the problem gets and the more far behind you get.

Keep up to date and organanised with your books and homework. Cover anything at home that is not covered in the lesson.

Most importantly make time to relax and have fun :smile:
Only a few things. As the poster above said I regret stressing out so much as I think I spent more time panicking than I did revising.
I also would have resat my first year science coursework, to get me the one UMS which would have gotten me another A*, backed out of it because I was too panicked about my other exams :frown:
I also wouldn't have resat GCSE English Literature (resat a B grade only to get the same grade, compete waste of time)

I got 4A*, 5A's and 3B's at GCSE, which wasn't bad and better than I expected but looking back I think I could have done better if I had just stopped panicking and calmed down a little bit to let me focus :smile:
Original post by trabajador
Hi guys, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong place, but I wanted to talk to people who have done their GCSEs, which is why I put it here. If just embarking on the ride, and I would really appreciate any tips, or regrets that you share!
Thanks!

I regret my procrastination - I watched way too many HIMYM episodes during my GCSEs and if I'd spent more time working then I could have got much better grades, especially with German (the only subject in which I got less than an A in). Law is very competitive, and while AS levels/predicted grades are key it would be reassuring to have more than 3 A*s. Basically, work hard.
I wish I hadn't put so much time and effort into it, all I got was 4As 7Bs and a Cs I stressed so much over it. I could have gotten those grades if I was more laid back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing.
A few things:
1) Spent less time worrying and more time actually revising. I started revision in Easter but 90% of that time was spent freaking out because of my constant procrastination (on this site, ironically) and only 10% was revision. Don't waste your time worrying, seriously. It's always best to stay calm and have a positive outlook on how the exams will go.
2) Started revision earlier. A lot of people started in February. I started properly after Easter and spent most evenings (and mornings!) before exams cramming.
3) Put more effort into my food technology coursework. I got an A in the exam which I was super proud of, but my coursework grade (a C) dragged it allllll the way down to a B. Sigh.
4) SLEEP. I should have slept a heck of a lot more. Before GCSE exam period started, I had got into the nasty habit of going to sleep at 12:30 and getting up at 5:15. Veeeeryy hard to break out of that sleep cycle.

All in all, looking back at my GCSEs, there's lots more I could have done. But I'm happy with the way they went, and I'm glad I didn't spend 3/4 of year 11 revising like a lot of people I know did. I actually got to enjoy Year 11, and that's important :smile: It also means that I can really knuckle down this year for AS/

I ended up with 11A*s and 1B
(edited 9 years ago)
I would have read more books, considering that my only B was in English. I used to think I had no spare time but now doing my AS subjects I know that I had loads... Hopefully it will go up in remark!
Original post by thechemistress

I ended up with 11A*s and 1B

Sounds like you didn't need to change much haha, those grades are incredible!
Original post by TomWeller
Sounds like you didn't need to change much haha, those grades are incredible!

Thanks :smile: However, I believe that you can always improve. My work ethic definitely needs improving xD
Btw you've got a nice username :wink:
I would try
Whatever you do, don't procrastinate (this is true for both GCSEs and A-levels) and avoid TSR like the plague near exam revision time...
Reply 16
I wouldn't do short course GCSEs or BTECs. Annoyed to find out that some universities don't consider them
I'm 21 now,I missed all of year 10 a lot of yr 11 being in hospital, I would have revised more instead of feeling sorry for myself, I managed to get 1 A , 2 B's and 3 C's but im in the process of resitting maths & science, I would have studied hard to hopefully get into med school, alas I have different priorities now there's no point dwelling in the past.
Only thing I was annoyed about was out chemistry/physics coursework getting moderated down to a B from an A* (happened to everyone).

Luckily I still got an A* but a lot of people who deserved A*s had to resit the coursework in jan of year 12.

Managed to get 9 A*s so I think my work ethic was ok however I did step it up a few gears at A2 level.
Actually revised.

Quick Reply

Latest