The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for Medicine

Hello,

I am currently in the process of writing my personal statement for medicine.
I was told by my teacher that I need to include bits about my A level subjects and what skills I have learnt from them, even though some of the skills she mentioned I have discussed elsewhere in a different context.
Could anyone give me a hand as to whether this is indeed correct? It seems like a waste of characters to discuss A levels when they know what A levels I am doing as they are already on my UCAS form.

Many thanks
Natalie
If you'd just be repeating skills you've already mentioned, don't bother.
I just briefly mentioned a couple of modules I found interesting- e.g. I did work experience in a lung clinic type thing, and wrote i enjoyed the module on lungs in biology.
Really doesnt need to be much, just mention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to go on about all your subjects, or try and link distantly related subjects to your passion for medicine, but a line or so saying "I really enjoyed the heart topic in biology because it [x reason]" is advised.
Personally, if you've got space left over I would perhaps include something about your A Level Subjects, talk about the modules or aspects of the course which you enjoyed and found interesting or alternatively, talk about why that subject (e.g. Chemistry) interests you. I wouldn't necessarily include skills unless, it is different to what you have already said. Maybe try to think of other skills which you could relate to medicine which you haven't mentioned already e.g. working well under pressure, time keeping, team working, etc. and then reflect this back to why its necessary for medicine. However, if you have space left over and you have more to say about your life experiences such as work experience or volunteering, I would use that space to expand on these rather than your A Level Subjects.

Have you had a look at the medicine personal statements which are on the student room wiki yet? They will give you a good idea of what you should put in your personal statement? Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
At AS, I had AAAB in Biology, Maths, Music and Chemistry
Reply 6
2 A*s and 9 As at GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest