The Student Room Group

Book or Kindle???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
Personally I want to burn all kindles, there is nothing like a real book!

I totally agree
Reply 21
There's just something about having a physical book that you can't get from a kindle- so, book
Reply 22
Book, DUH! Why would you read on a kindle it's not the same... Nothing is better than the feel or smell of a new book
I prefer books, but love my Kindle. For travelling, there is no comparison, Kindle is just easier.

Still, nothing compares to sitting by the window on a rainy day with a cup of tea and a book :cool:
I'm not completely burn-your-bras against Kindles, but I do definitely prefer books. I do, however, have a nice collection of Kindle books sat on my iPad that I read on planes, trains (and automobiles bahaha) when I can't physically carry a lot of books to wherever I'm going. Also the iPad came in handy when I went to Marrakech for a week and I managed to read 7 books in 5 days. Yessss for Morroccan rain....
Books over kindles, books over people!

:danceboy:
After reading books all my life , it feels weird to use a kindle.

Would prefer a book over a kindle , any day.
I love books. My personal library consists of the better part of two thousand books, on absolutely anything and everything you could imagine, spanning five centuries. I have similar interests in palaeography, philology, palaeolinguistics, among others, which add up to this: I not only read books of any age on any subject, but I read books in around ten languages, and write, and know how to bind books using most of the techniques that have ever been in use, and I can make pens and ink from scratch.

However, I use a Kindle because it is practical, and have no patience for the codicentric snobbery that 'inspires' people to think of Kindles and/or their users as inferior or vulgar.

How do you think it would have gone down when the codex form was first introduced circa two thousand years ago, if readers had shunned them because there's nothing like the feel of a fine leather scroll - or if the scroll had been shunned because there's nothing like the feel of a pile of painstakingly inscribed clay tablets?

So at the end of the day, while a pile of clay tablets is nice, I can't carry a whole work with me when I'm out and about. Neither is it practical to carry a scroll with me, because of the inherent fragility of the scroll form. Yes, I can carry a book, but if it's more than one I want to carry (in case I'm reading more than one book at once and decide to look at another for a while), my pockets get bulky very quickly. Enter the Kindle. It doesn't get bigger or more bulky, however many books I have on it.

And if my Kindle gets damaged or broken, I can take comfort from the knowledge that my codices are safe at home, where I can read them ad libitum.
I like both, but at the moment, I'm leaning more towards Kindle. That's mostly because all of my textbooks come much cheaper on Kindle (plus there's nowhere local that sells second-hand books) and it's portable and lightweight in comparison - imaging bringing two/three heavy textbooks on a 45-minute walk to university where I have back problems.

However, it doesn't mean I dislike books. And I almost always buy a new book everytime I visit a Waterstones anyway.
Book. Every single time.

I do own a Kindle and it's really convenient for trips/holidays when you physically can't travel with anywhere near as many actual books as you can have on your Kindle. Nothing beats a new book though.
With great art, the medium is just as important as the message, it's the skeleton upon which your reality is woven.

I personally love the feel of a wood pulp based format.

Book! Nothing like real pages and I LOVE the smell of books :love:

Down with Kindles!:colondollar:
I think Kindles are great in theory, but I just can't seem to immerse myself the same was as with a normal book.
I prefer books. Gave most of mine away a few months ago. Just have the essentials or stuff I've not read yet, left.
Kinde is just easier. I have roommates and have only a certain amount of space in ma room and I like to have more titles than the ones I'm just reading atm around.

Original post by Aivicore
I think Kindles are great in theory, but I just can't seem to immerse myself the same was as with a normal book.

Yeah and some of the theory doesn't make sense either. Like when people say they can take a 100 books on holiday... what's the actual use of that?
Original post by simonbosley
Yeah and some of the theory doesn't make sense either. Like when people say they can take a 100 books on holiday... what's the actual use of that?

It makes perfect sense. Kindles take up much less space than even just a handful of books. I don't have a kindle but I can see why lots of people do.

Especially if someone is on a longer holiday or travels a lot - carrying lots of books around all the time just wouldn't be practical. I don't go on holiday much and I prefer to read at home, so this doesn't apply to me.
You can't read a book in the dark! That's got to be the biggest disadvantage of books against Kindles. In addition, the enormous library a Kindle can contain is second to no book. I absolutely adore my Kindle, but I also agree that the experience of reading a hardcover/paperback book is a more authentic experience, where the Kindle seems much less so because of the weird feeling of reading from a machine (but who doesn't!). I must say though, I do read a hell of a lot more from my Kindle, simply because of the ample amounts of books I have stored within it, for a fraction of the price of the same real-book library. But, in fact, I would rather read many of the books on my Kindle in paperback format.
Original post by Lordbrown
You can't read a book in the dark! That's got to be the biggest disadvantage of books against Kindles. In addition, the enormous library a Kindle can contain is second to no book. I absolutely adore my Kindle, but I also agree that the experience of reading a hardcover/paperback book is a more authentic experience, where the Kindle seems much less so because of the weird feeling of reading from a machine (but who doesn't!). I must say though, I do read a hell of a lot more from my Kindle, simply because of the ample amounts of books I have stored within it, for a fraction of the price of the same real-book library. But, in fact, I would rather read many of the books on my Kindle in paperback format.

A light bulb, candle, or wind up lamp is cheaper than a kindle. I used a wind up lamp in a tent, simple and very cheap. If you're going on a longer holiday you can share books with other travellers that you meet, it's a great way to interact with the world around you and you could start-up a conversation with a stranger who could be your new best friend! There's always room for a few books in the luggage, too. Also books are extremely cheap second hand, or when you swap with friends.

Like so much of technology today, it's a solution to a problem that never existed until Amazon CEO wanted to put his hand in your wallet. Still can't find a reason to buy a kindle!
Original post by simonbosley
A light bulb, candle, or wind up lamp is cheaper than a kindle. I used a wind up lamp in a tent, simple and very cheap. If you're going on a longer holiday you can share books with other travellers that you meet, it's a great way to interact with the world around you and you could start-up a conversation with a stranger who could be your new best friend! There's always room for a few books in the luggage, too. Also books are extremely cheap second hand, or when you swap with friends.

Like so much of technology today, it's a solution to a problem that never existed until Amazon CEO wanted to put his hand in your wallet. Still can't find a reason to buy a kindle!

Haha yes very true. Yet, I've saved myself a bit of hassle by simply buying a Kindle, no doubt! Using a wind-up lamp and simultaneously reading a book is unarguably less comfortable when you're in your bed! Night on night, I read in the comfort of my own bed, flicking through countless books with minute movements.
Moreover, here's a few amazing features: whenever you highlight a single word, the Kindle provides an Oxford Dictionary definition (the dictionary I chose), a Wikipedia page, and a translation function.
I have the Kindle fire, so not only can I read virtually any book from its never ending library store, but I can also browse the Internet and browse the Amazon app store for apps, such as Netflix and YouTube.
The technology of today is supposed to make your life easier, so if Amazon are the ones supplying such products then, by all means, they can have my money!
Original post by Lordbrown
Haha yes very true. Yet, I've saved myself a bit of hassle by simply buying a Kindle, no doubt! Using a wind-up lamp and simultaneously reading a book is unarguably less comfortable when you're in your bed! Night on night, I read in the comfort of my own bed, flicking through countless books with minute movements.
Moreover, here's a few amazing features: whenever you highlight a single word, the Kindle provides an Oxford Dictionary definition (the dictionary I chose), a Wikipedia page, and a translation function.
I have the Kindle fire, so not only can I read virtually any book from its never ending library store, but I can also browse the Internet and browse the Amazon app store for apps, such as Netflix and YouTube.
The technology of today is supposed to make your life easier, so if Amazon are the ones supplying such products then, by all means, they can have my money!

Well if you're in your own bed you wouldn't need a wind-up torch, unless you don't have electricity I suppose. Wind-up lamps/torches are typically for where electricity isn't available, mine has a cord to hang from a tent hook.

The only useful reason for a kindle that I can think of is if you'd like to store a reference library for research on the move, since you wouldn't necessarily be reading the entire library but you might suddenly need a quote or two. Personally it's not something I require.

Maybe the debate should specify which version of Kindle/Book :-)

However you read the most important thing is... enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending