The Student Room Group

Publishing your own first book – experiences and opinions?

Heyyo!

Lately at work I recognized that the children are less self- confident in comparison to some years ago. There are so many topics that influences them. For example body issues, right choice of school, friends, social media…. I am working as a psychotherapist and I really want to improve their self- esteem. So I was thinking about writing my own book about this topic. It should be a book for children and young adults with many pictures and practical exercises to improve their self-esteem and self-awareness.

I already published some academic articles- so writing would not be the problem. But I don’t know how to publish a book. I don’t have much time so I can’t to it all by myself.

What are your experiences with this topic? Have you ever published a book? Which options do I have publishing my own first book and which advantages/ disadvantages do they have?

Thanks for your advice!

Scroll to see replies

Are you intending to self-publish or are you aiming for the book to be traditionally published?
Reply 2
@Maggy_ This is a very interesting and profound topic, I must say. I personally haven´t yet published an essay nor a book, but I have a friend who submitted his work for a competition

Well, there are several options. Either you self-publish i.e. on demand, send an excerpt to an agent or contact a publisher.
Reply 3
Thanks for your answers! As I told you children in these days have many problems- so I have a lot of work (not always a good thing :wink:) I think I don't have the time for self- publishing. But I also don't want to do traditional publishing- that took too much time! The process is really long. First you have to send them your manuscript, they check it, the answer you, maybe you have to change something... I really need this kind of book for my work as fast as possible. Are there any other options?
Reply 4
I would definitely try traditional publishers. Self-publishing takes a lot of time, that's where I would look for help. Perhaps a service publisher would also be an option for you.

It looks like your topics fit into the current trend, I suppose publishers will have resources available for your book.
For mine (self pub), the books were set out using InDesign, and then published through Ingramspark / Lightning Source.
Reply 6
Original post by MsFixit
Perhaps a service publisher would also be an option for you.

It looks like your topics fit into the current trend, I suppose publishers will have resources available for your book.

I have never heard of a service publisher before. Can you explain that to me? Whats the difference to the other options?
And yeah- my topic is really important nowadays. But sadly, I don't have the feeling society wants to read such types of books.
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
For mine (self pub), the books were set out using InDesign, and then published through Ingramspark / Lightning Source.

Oh okay- so you designed it all by yourself? Sounds like a lot of work! Did you feel happy with the outcome?
Original post by Maggy_
Oh okay- so you designed it all by yourself? Sounds like a lot of work! Did you feel happy with the outcome?

My husband did the InDesign stuff. He's considerably more technically minded than I am. The books turned out very well, yes.

I think if I were doing it on my own, I'd have to do it through Amazon kdp. The books at kdp aren't anywhere near as widely distributed as they are through the way I did it, (whereas my books are available on TONS of booksellers' websites - Waterstones, WHSmiths, Blackwells, Amazon, etc. etc.) but it's much easier to upload and publish a book to kdp than it is to Ingram / LS
Reply 9
Original post by Maggy_
I have never heard of a service publisher before. Can you explain that to me? Whats the difference to the other options?
And yeah- my topic is really important nowadays. But sadly, I don't have the feeling society wants to read such types of books.

You have to look at what services publishers offer, since there will certainly be differences. That should be checked beforehand. Whether marketing is included or not, what measures that includes ... It also depends on how it looks at the publishing houses. Either there are packages in which everything is included or you pick out the services that you still need yourself. You also have to check carefully, not every publisher will have the same way of working.

Books are published every day, so you might get lost in the crowd. You have to do something to get publicity. Things like a presentation during a book fair.

With service providers such as novum publishing, the author and publisher share the risk. Personally, I think that's a good model, because the publisher is motivated to sell books. Furthermore, launch reading is an issue but initially the process of proof-reading.
You should always take a close look at whether the option you have chosen to have your book published really suits you.

Another thing to keep in mind about self-publishing is that it doesn't necessarily come without a cost. If you want to have the cover professionally designed, use the services of a good editor and perhaps hire a marketing agency afterwards, there will be some costs involved.

With self-publishing, you usually get more money per book sold. With traditional publishers, authors usually get much lower percentages. So you also pay indirectly for the services you use.
Original post by Maggy_
Heyyo!

Lately at work I recognized that the children are less self- confident in comparison to some years ago. There are so many topics that influences them. For example body issues, right choice of school, friends, social media…. I am working as a psychotherapist and I really want to improve their self- esteem. So I was thinking about writing my own book about this topic. It should be a book for children and young adults with many pictures and practical exercises to improve their self-esteem and self-awareness.

I already published some academic articles- so writing would not be the problem. But I don’t know how to publish a book. I don’t have much time so I can’t to it all by myself.

What are your experiences with this topic? Have you ever published a book? Which options do I have publishing my own first book and which advantages/ disadvantages do they have?

Thanks for your advice!

Id deffo look into writing/publishing a book.
I havent published one yet, but i have started writing one.
One book i would recommend is a book called "about writing and how to publish" by cathy glass. Ive got it and its quite useful. It should give you an insight into the world of publishing.
Reply 12
My husband did the InDesign stuff. He's considerably more technically minded than I am. The books turned out very well, yes.

I think if I were doing it on my own, I'd have to do it through Amazon kdp. The books at kdp aren't anywhere near as widely distributed as they are through the way I did it, (whereas my books are available on TONS of booksellers' websites - Waterstones, WHSmiths, Blackwells, Amazon, etc. etc.) but it's much easier to upload and publish a book to kdp than it is to Ingram / LS

I am really happy for you and your good experiences! But I have to admit that I really don't want to deal with all this work to sell the book. Especially because I am not interested in earning money or fame with it in the first place- I am more interested in using it for my children at work.
Reply 13
Original post by MsFixit
You have to look at what services publishers offer, since there will certainly be differences. That should be checked beforehand. Whether marketing is included or not, what measures that includes ... It also depends on how it looks at the publishing houses. Either there are packages in which everything is included or you pick out the services that you still need yourself. You also have to check carefully, not every publisher will have the same way of working.

Books are published every day, so you might get lost in the crowd. You have to do something to get publicity. Things like a presentation during a book fair.

With service providers such as novum publishing, the author and publisher share the risk. Personally, I think that's a good model, because the publisher is motivated to sell books. Furthermore, launch reading is an issue but initially the process of proof-reading.

Thanks for your answer! Now I can remember that I have heard about it already. A college of mine also published something two years ago regarding the Corona Crisis. She spoke about novum publishing and was quite happy with them as partners when realizing her project. Do you have personal experiences with service publishers?
And yeah- I know that I have to do some promotion for the book if I want it to be in the people's mind- but as I said before, earning money or fame is not that important for me.
Original post by Maggy_
I am really happy for you and your good experiences! But I have to admit that I really don't want to deal with all this work to sell the book. Especially because I am not interested in earning money or fame with it in the first place- I am more interested in using it for my children at work.

Popping it into kdp is probably the easiest then. I believe it's quite straightforward.

Trying to get it published through a traditional publishing company (bit of a misnomer tbh because traditionally people self published before publishing companies became the norm, but anyway I digress) can take a really long time and result in a lot of rejections along the way, not to mention that many publishers expect you to have an agent, and won't even look at any manuscripts submitted straight from the author.
Reply 15
Popping it into kdp is probably the easiest then. I believe it's quite straightforward.

Trying to get it published through a traditional publishing company (bit of a misnomer tbh because traditionally people self published before publishing companies became the norm, but anyway I digress) can take a really long time and result in a lot of rejections along the way, not to mention that many publishers expect you to have an agent, and won't even look at any manuscripts submitted straight from the author.

Normally I rarely read something with kindle- maybe that's the reason I haven't thought about that option by now.

Yeah I believe you are right about the traditional publishers, I heard a lot of stories that sounded that way. I think that's really sad, because I am sure there are many good writers outside which don't even get a chance. And it sounds somehow crazy that you need an agent to get some attention.
The advantage is that you can get a package with editing, publicity, book design and so on that suits you. However, I would ask the publisher directly about the conditions in detail, or prior to that read through the information on their website @Maggy_

@PinkMobilePhone I personally have never tried to find an agent, are you experienced with submitting a manuscript via a third party?
Original post by MsFixit
The advantage is that you can get a package with editing, publicity, book design and so on that suits you. However, I would ask the publisher directly about the conditions in detail, or prior to that read through the information on their website @Maggy_

@PinkMobilePhone I personally have never tried to find an agent, are you experienced with submitting a manuscript via a third party?

I've only ever self-published.
Reply 18
Original post by MsFixit

Last two weeks were super heavy at work so I hadn't time to think about my project. But I spoke with my college again and decided to contact novum publishing with some questions regarding their packages, layouts, cover designs.... Now that I mentioned it. If any of you have some ideas for a creative cover design just let me know! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I've only ever self-published.

Amazing! chapeau!! Do you have any advice as for how to avoid - this and that - trap? Do you have e-commerce experience?

@Maggy_ you go!
When it comes to design, I love to play with it, try Affinity designer or ask the publisher. My guess is that they have professionals in their company
Wishing you the best results whichever path you take :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending