The Student Room Group

Could Ebola be a hoax?

http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/ebo-lie-man-living-in-ghana-confirms-ebola-is-a-hoax/

http://mic.com/articles/100618/one-powerful-illustration-shows-exactly-what-s-wrong-with-media-coverage-of-ebola

Now I'm not trying to push any of you to believe Ebola is actually a lie created by the US government, nor am I completely 200% certain Ebola is a hoax, but these are worthy reads that contain extremely valid arguments.

I've always questioned why the UK, US and other Western countries haven't bothered shutting off all outgoing and incoming flights to Ebola affected zones.

Now it could all be the truth, that Ebola really is out there and the US government isn't involved whatsoever. But it is equally possible that they are in some way.

The point that really got me going was the footage of that plain clothes man literally feet away from the nurse supposedly affected with Ebola.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord_Syndicus
http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/ebo-lie-man-living-in-ghana-confirms-ebola-is-a-hoax/

http://mic.com/articles/100618/one-powerful-illustration-shows-exactly-what-s-wrong-with-media-coverage-of-ebola

Now I'm not trying to push any of you to believe Ebola is actually a lie created by the US government, nor am I completely 200% certain Ebola is a hoax, but these are worthy reads that contain extremely valid arguments.

I've always questioned why the UK, US and other Western countries haven't bothered shutting off all outgoing and incoming flights to Ebola affected zones.

Now it could all be the truth, that Ebola really is out there and the US government isn't involved whatsoever. But it is equally possible that they are in some way.

The point that really got me going was the footage of that plain clothes man literally feet away from the nurse supposedly affected with Ebola.

Thoughts?

Don't worry a tinfoil hat provides complete protection from Ebola.

Thoughts?

Well I think you'd better loosen up that tin foil hat!

And, yes, the plainclothes man IS feet away from the nurse, but EBOLA ISN'T TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE AIR! As long as he doesn't hug, kiss, bathe, share a needle with, or have sex with the nurse, he will not get Ebola. Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever is transmitted THROUGH BODILY FLUIDS ONLY! That means: blood, ****, saliva, and cum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Schmeckel
Well I think you'd better loosen up that tin foil hat!

And, yes, the plainclothes man IS feet away from the nurse, but EBOLA ISN'T TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE AIR! As long as he doesn't hug, kiss, bathe, share a needle with, or have sex with the nurse, he will not get Ebola. Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever is transmitted THROUGH BODILY FLUIDS ONLY! That means: blood, ****, saliva, and cum.

Have you seen the video?

He was seen packing what seemed to be the vics clothes into a red disposable bag. Plenty of body fluids can be found on your clothes, notably sweat.

Like I've said, I don't believe in the hoax, I just found the article very interesting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you seen the video?

He was seen packing what seemed to be the vics clothes into a red disposable bag. Plenty of body fluids can be found on your clothes, notably sweat.

Like I've said, I don't believe in the hoax, I just found the article very interesting.

Ebola isn't transmitted through sweat, though. Even if it were, if he doesn't have broken skin on his hands and scrubs up afterwards, there is zero chance of transmission.
Original post by Schmeckel
Ebola isn't transmitted through sweat, though. Even if it were, if he doesn't have broken skin on his hands and scrubs up afterwards, there is zero chance of transmission.

Nor can it be transmitted through saliva according to http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/782611-overview ... unless blood is present.

But anyway, this is beside the point, what is someone, in a right state of mind, is going to want to stand near someone who has a lethal disease? No one.
anyone who believes ebola is a hoax should get on a flight to an infected zone and see for themselves. Do it without protective clothing and qualify for a Darwin award.

As for not stopping flights - probably will happen if many infected people manage to fly out but at the moment no reason to do so and you might trap people away from home who are not infected. A lot of people will stop travelling anyway so there will be fewer flights for commercial reasons.
Original post by parentlurker
anyone who believes ebola is a hoax should get on a flight to an infected zone and see for themselves. Do it without protective clothing and qualify for a Darwin award.

As for not stopping flights - probably will happen if many infected people manage to fly out but at the moment no reason to do so and you might trap people away from home who are not infected. A lot of people will stop travelling anyway so there will be fewer flights for commercial reasons.

You hope harm on me then? I've said I don't agree with the hoax, I just find the article very interesting ...
Yep of course it is. You'll see, all those Africans will be winning Oscars later on this year.
You hope harm on me then? I've said I don't agree with the hoax, I just find the article very interesting ...

No - I hope that you'd have the sense, faced with the prospect of reality, to see stupidity for what it is.
If anyone really thinks it is hoax, they can test their beliefs. Find several people allegedly diagnosed with ebola and get in contact with their bodily fluids. Wait... and ... I will nominate them for a posthumous Darwin Award.
'Spirit Science and Metaphysics'. I stopped reading there.
Reply 12

Thoughts?

Biggest reason that conspiracy theories are *******s is because they always fall down on why. This ebola outbreak is costing.billions, in medical costs, aid and long term economic damage. What would be the point all this?

Secondly flights have not been stopped because there is no point, it stops aid workers and the easy movement of aid. It also is nigh on impossible to do. Air travel really does not cause the disease spread people think it does. there are very few direct flights to the UK from thst region of the world. To stop air travel here from those regions would involve sealing the uk off completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Biggest reason that conspiracy theories are *******s is because they always fall down on why. This ebola outbreak is costing.billions, in medical costs, aid and long term economic damage. What would be the point all this?

Secondly flights have not been stopped because there is no point, it stops aid workers and the easy movement of aid. It also is nigh on impossible to do. Air travel really does not cause the disease spread people think it does. there are very few direct flights to the UK from thst region of the world. To stop air travel here from those regions would involve sealing the uk off completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure the article is talking about passenger flights. Aid workers usually take separate, private flights to the affected countries.

Money? The governments have trillions in hand.

The screening that the UK is doing, instead of preventing flights from that part of the world, isn't going to stop an outbreak here, it's just slowing it down.

The article isn't denying the existence of Ebola, it's trying to convince us that it's being used by the US as a weapon - whether this is true or not, it could and it couldn't be.
Reply 14
Pretty sure the article is talking about passenger flights. Aid workers usually take separate, private flights to the affected countries.

Money? The governments have trillions in hand.

The screening that the UK is doing, instead of preventing flights from that part of the world, isn't going to stop an outbreak here, it's just slowing it down.

The article isn't denying the existence of Ebola, it's trying to convince us that it's being used by the US as a weapon - whether this is true or not, it could and it couldn't be.

No they don't. Most go out on commercial flights, private flights would be a ridiculous expense, money that could be put into stopping the epidemic. Their considering it now because they have few other options, but it is expensive and pretty much being funded by one man.

So? Governments have lots of money so are willing going to blow away billions for little point or gain? Come on if you don't have a motive the entire conspiracy theory falls down.

Screening does nothing and is a waste of resources I agree.

Ok lets take your idea, how does one stop air travel from that region? The amount of direct flights is tiny, stopping air travel requires more than sealing off one area. You need to seal off every country that has Ebola and every country people can travel to from those countries, including neighboring and any that have flights to them. Do you propose we do this? Because it would involve cutting off most of Europe. I suppose we could try to convince other nations to seal off outbreak countries but what do we do if they refuse?

Ebola is not a bioweapon, it'd be a useless one at that, it does not spread fast enough and is too visible, also not airborne. The US does not have a bioweapons program.
There are far more effective weapons to use, go google the Russian bioweapons program, they have stuff that makes Ebola look like a common cold.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
No they don't. Most go out on commercial flights, private flights would be a ridiculous expense, money that could be put into stopping the epidemic. Their considering it now because they have few other options, but it is expensive and pretty much being funded by one man.

So? Governments have lots of money so are willing going to blow away billions for little point or gain? Come on if you don't have a motive the entire conspiracy theory falls down.

Screening does nothing and is a waste of resources I agree.

Ok lets take your idea, how does one stop air travel from that region? The amount of direct flights is tiny, stopping air travel requires more than sealing off one area. You need to seal off every country that has Ebola and every country people can travel to from those countries, including neighboring and any that have flights to them. Do you propose we do this? Because it would involve cutting off most of Europe. I suppose we could try to convince other nations to seal off outbreak countries but what do we do if they refuse?

Ebola is not a bioweapon, it'd be a useless one at that, it does not spread fast enough and is too visible, also not airborne. The US does not have a bioweapons program.
There are far more effective weapons to use, go google the Russian bioweapons program, they have stuff that makes Ebola look like a common cold.

You prevent people from that country taking flights to ours. You give special passes to aid workers to fly over there - much like a visa.

You can easily trace the movements of people coming in and out of your country. When I went to Chile, I was asked by their authorities why I'd been the US, why I'd been to France, why I'd been to Portugal (this was 8 years before).

Does a common cold kill you? I'm sure it may, but how can you compare it to Ebola lol

Come on, the first thing you'd do if there was a high potential of Ebola getting into our lands you'd do anything and everything to stop it, not screening. The US have done **** all to stop it, Spain is useless, France are sure that they won't be affected by it.

We're not doing enough.
Reply 16
I have heard that they are using it to frighten the public and send troops into Africa
Reply 17
You prevent people from that country taking flights to ours. You give special passes to aid workers to fly over there - much like a visa.

You can easily trace the movements of people coming in and out of your country. When I went to Chile, I was asked by their authorities why I'd been the US, why I'd been to France, why I'd been to Portugal (this was 8 years before).

Does a common cold kill you? I'm sure it may, but how can you compare it to Ebola lol

Come on, the first thing you'd do if there was a high potential of Ebola getting into our lands you'd do anything and everything to stop it, not screening. The US have done **** all to stop it, Spain is useless, France are sure that they won't be affected by it.

We're not doing enough.

As I've already explained it's not that simple. Very few people come here via direct flights and things get more complicated if someone flies from Liberia to Dubai from Dubai to Brussels, Paris or any ferry port on the coast and comes over via a ferry or Eurostar. And I commend the border authorities of Chile for being so vigilant. On a wide scale it is simple not practical. Ask yourself if the CDC, the organisation trying to stop this spreading and the airline industry are both against travel bans as well as every charity fighting the disease in West Africa, do you not think maybe it's a bad idea?

Brilliant lets have hundreds of air workers sitting at airports waiting for paper work to clear, that'll sure help things.

You were talking of bio-weapons, if you want to discuss bio-weapons you need to understand that Ebola is nothing compared to some of the viruses designed to kill on a mass scale. If the US had created a bio-weapon everyone in West Africa would be dead by now, going by the standards of the Soviet weapons programs.

Yes if there was a high chance of the virus coming here you would do that. Perhaps they aren't because that chance is incredibly small. West Africa is a very poor region, there aren't that many people hopping on flights to the West. And those that are tend to be picked up before they board a flight. Hence why there has only been one case that flew out of Africa to the West. If we were having dozens of cases on a constant basis coming here through flights they would stop them, and its still an option being considered. But as of now there is no point and it will do far more harm than good. And even if they implement it, unless its done on a global scale and with neighboring regions it won't achieve anything.

Yes the response has been useless, but don't assume malice where stupidity will suffice.

Thoughts?

You have issues.

Original post by al_94
I have heard that they are using it to frighten the public and send troops into Africa

Just like the good old days.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19

You do yourself no credit referencing a website with articles such as "7 Tips To Awaken Your Hidden Psychic Power", "How To Decalcify And Detoxify Your Pineal Gland" and "New Study Scientifically Proves Psychic Ability".

Thoughts?

Why?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Plain-Clothes-Man-Perplexes-Viewers-279357962.html

"Davis said the man, who he did not name, is the team's medical safety coordinator. Standard protocol is for him to wear street clothes, Davis said, because the suits can block field of vision and hearing. Davis said the man has been trained on keeping safe distance from patients and is ready to "suit up" if needed."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending