The Student Room Group

How can people afford to eat healthy?

Scroll to see replies

One can find plenty of cheap, healthy food at a local market and get the rest at somewhere like Aldi.

I spend around £20 per week and get something like..

weetabix
milk

Yougurt (s
Oranges (m
Banana (m
Pear (m
Strawberry
Avacado
WaterMelon

mushrooms
Potato
onion
Carrots
Eggs
Cod in butter sauce
Fish (2)
Lentils
Peas
Spinach
Hello food community; I would suggest that you eat meals created with a lot of peppers, onions, and veggies. Cheap and filling!
Asda do really good portions of salmon in 3 for £10 sometimes. You can also get other types of fish such as cod or prawns in the deal and they do chicken breasts, mince and some other types of red meat in the deal too. Buy frozen vegetables and fruit and keep these in your freezer, use things like lentils and chickpeas and buy them in bulk. Eating healthy can sometimes be a little more expensive but try and be smart about it go to the cheaper supermarkets and try plan out your meals in advance.
Reply 63
Frozen fruit and vegetables; tinned beans; tinned tuna; brown rice; wholewheat pasta; potatoes; cornmeal (trust me!); oats; frozen lean mince; frozen chicken breasts; 100% beef burgers (cheaper version of steak); seasonings; spinach; kale; bananas; apples

This is the bulk of my diet, and for reasons that I'm loathe to go into, I am most likely poorer than you, my friend.
Hey guys, I've got a blog dedicated to students and my latest post is about cheap and healthy meals as a student! You should check it out - http://www.studentbargains.co.uk/2015/01/cheap-healthy-meals.html?spref=tw to get some ideas :smile:
I buy lentils from Asian shops. They do a huge bag of red split lentils for just 2.25 and it lasts me for months. I get my fruit and veg from market stalls, I buy my fish frozen and mackerel in tin (in brine only). Low fat yogurt cost me 20p each from sainsburys.. It is possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We get a ****ing job and think: what would we rather choose? Hard long hours in a position we hate, or the nagging shame when people look at us as inferior slobs, lazy and unattractive, and the realisation we are shaving years off our lives with every bad choice?
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I buy lentils from Asian shops. They do a huge bag of red split lentils for just 2.25 and it lasts me for months. I get my fruit and veg from market stalls, I buy my fish frozen and mackerel in tin (in brine only). Low fat yogurt cost me 20p each from sainsburys.. It is possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you do the lentils? I have some sitting at the back of the cupboard but I have no idea what to do with them. :colondollar:
Original post by Kathiye
How do you do the lentils? I have some sitting at the back of the cupboard but I have no idea what to do with them. :colondollar:

I make Indian spices red split lentil soup :smile:

STICK THE KETTLE ON, FIRST OF ALL!

1 cup of red split lentils
1/2 spoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of cumin seed or powder
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 vegetable stock cube (or any cube, but vegetable works well with this)
1 heaped teaspoon coriander powder
4 pinch of hing powder (optional)
1 onion
4 cloves of crushed and diced garlic
1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes

First, if you are using cumin seeds - add 1 teaspoon of those first into a pan of hot oil (around 2-3 tablespoons, or depends how much onion you have got) - if you are not using cumin seeds but you have got cumin powder - skip this step!!! when you can smell the aroma from the cumin seeds, add the onions until they are brown, then add in the garlic and tomatoes.

Stir thoroughly, and put on low heat with lid on pan for 1 minute

Afterwards, stir again and then add your spices:

- turmeric

- coriander powder

- cumin powder (IF using powder form - do not put this in if you have used cumin seeds)

- hing powder (if you have any)

- vegetable stock cube

Stir THOROUGHLY until the onions and tomatoes are coated in the spices, then make sure the heat is on low and put the lid back on and leave for another 1-2 minutes, or until the oils are separated from the spices.

Add in the lentils, and then fill it with hot water just above half. Pop the lid on and leave to simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes until the consistency is thick and you can always add more water if you like your soup more watery.

Season as appropriate with salt - add any veg you like, spinach? Whatever! This is a fantastic soup and I have it at least 4 times a week! It's good for you, too :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kathiye

HOWEVER... If you have not got the spices stored, or if you want something more simple and less complicated - lentils, salt (to season), vegetable stock and some vegetables will suffice. I just like mine with plenty of spices to make it taste absolutely devine! :eek:
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I make Indian spices red split lentil soup :smile:

STICK THE KETTLE ON, FIRST OF ALL!

1 cup of red split lentils
1/2 spoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of cumin seed or powder
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 vegetable stock cube (or any cube, but vegetable works well with this)
1 heaped teaspoon coriander powder
4 pinch of hing powder (optional)
1 onion
4 cloves of crushed and diced garlic
1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes

First, if you are using cumin seeds - add 1 teaspoon of those first into a pan of hot oil (around 2-3 tablespoons, or depends how much onion you have got) - if you are not using cumin seeds but you have got cumin powder - skip this step!!! when you can smell the aroma from the cumin seeds, add the onions until they are brown, then add in the garlic and tomatoes.

Stir thoroughly, and put on low heat with lid on pan for 1 minute

Afterwards, stir again and then add your spices:

- turmeric

- coriander powder

- cumin powder (IF using powder form - do not put this in if you have used cumin seeds)

- hing powder (if you have any)

- vegetable stock cube

Stir THOROUGHLY until the onions and tomatoes are coated in the spices, then make sure the heat is on low and put the lid back on and leave for another 1-2 minutes, or until the oils are separated from the spices.

Add in the lentils, and then fill it with hot water just above half. Pop the lid on and leave to simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes until the consistency is thick and you can always add more water if you like your soup more watery.

Season as appropriate with salt - add any veg you like, spinach? Whatever! This is a fantastic soup and I have it at least 4 times a week! It's good for you, too :smile:

That sounds really good! Thank you. I definitely need to get some turmeric since it keeps coming up in recipes that I want to cook! How many portions does that make?
Original post by Kathiye
That sounds really good! Thank you. I definitely need to get some turmeric since it keeps coming up in recipes that I want to cook! How many portions does that make?

This would make around 4 portions, but it depends how much you want to eat :wink: you can always double the batch but remember lentils expand so it will appear more thicker.
Reply 72
To catch a salmon cost approximately £90 for a license

Quick Reply

Latest