Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm writing my first a-level essay for RE, Ethics, Philosophy. The question is 'Examine the challenges to the Cosmological Argument.' I've not quite grasped what infinite regression actually is, I keep getting mixed up :/
    So...
    Is Infinite regression the idea that the universe is just a result of a chain of cause and effect? With no real beginning?
    Thank you
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Britt2609)
    Hi,
    I'm writing my first a-level essay for RE, Ethics, Philosophy. The question is 'Examine the challenges to the Cosmological Argument.' I've not quite grasped what infinite regression actually is, I keep getting mixed up :/
    So...
    Is Infinite regression the idea that the universe is just a result of a chain of cause and effect? With no real beginning?
    Thank you
    From a temporal perspective, yes. You should also look at the Big Bang theory and the cyclic Big Crunch.

I found this excellent Stanford University Comological Argument Philosophy description which lays out a historcal overview and should provide a rich source for further exploration.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/co...ical-argument/

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2014

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.