The Student Room Group

What *are* the holes in biros for?

Hello all,
I know the title is from the bonus on Robbie - Escapology, but I actually really want to know the answer... There must be something.
It seems silly to put holes in biros for no reason at all, so can someone tell me: What *are* the holes in biros for? Is it something to do with pressure and getting the ink to the bottom? Hmmm...

Any speculative, or definitive answers would be much appreciated.

J x

(Oh and ps, another random question - why are the lil portable nail-polish-removing-pads that u can buy from boots and stuff always all greasy n horrible? Maybe it's to stop the solvent drying out in the box... I dunno.. Help?! - not that it's especially urgent, but I'd like to know - I'm full of bizairre questions today.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what hole?
Reply 2
do u mean the holes in the lids of biros? if so, i think thats incase u *accidentally* swallowed it, coz it wud allow u to breathe!
i think this is wot u meant...?! :cool:
Reply 3
You mean the one at the top of the lid to stop the ink drying up?
Reply 4
I put my Biro in a Bunsen burner flame. It's ergonomic now.
Reply 5
The reason they put the holes in is so you can blow through them and make a comedy whistling noise when bored.
Reply 6
The little holes in the sides of the plain-old plastic biro? I have no idea. Either to do with pressure or how they mold it probably. Block it up and see if it still works after a few days.
Reply 7
piginapoke
Its so you can put an straightened-out paperclip in, and twirl the pen around on it.

if u really wanna know lol look it up on the internet. im sure out of all the stupid articles on these days u'll find the answer
Reply 8
alio
if u really wanna know lol look it up on the internet. im sure out of all the stupid articles on these days u'll find the answer

just tried but nothing on it :eek:
Reply 9
hunny bun
do u mean the holes in the lids of biros? if so, i think thats incase u *accidentally* swallowed it, coz it wud allow u to breathe!
i think this is wot u meant...?! :cool:

That's what my mum always told me. ANd not to run with scissors or walk around with pens/paintbrushes in my mouth.
Reply 10
i cant remember excatly but it has something to do with the design, they have to change the design with regularity or something so every time they release a new patch they put teh hole somewhere else.
question answered: the lid of a biro is about exactly the same diameter as a baby's windpipe. One time a baby swallowed one and choked. The parents sued bic for alot of money.

Bic put a hole in the lid to stop babies dying when they swallow biro lids.

Edit: (just realised ur talking about another hole on the pen, i don't have a clue what that is for)
Reply 12
iiikewldude
question answered: the lid of a biro is about exactly the same diameter as a baby's windpipe. One time a baby swallowed one and choked. The parents sued bic for alot of money.

Bic put a hole in the lid to stop babies dying when they swallow biro lids.

i think hes talkin about the holes on the pen
Reply 13
Yes, that was said twice up there^^
Reply 14
so that when u suck the pen u dont suck the ink up because of the hole!!11

FILL IN MY QUESSTIONAIIRE THREAD PLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEEE I NEED SO MANY MORE PEOPLE TO FILL IT IN< IT WONT TAKE A MIN!!
Reply 15
rover
so that when u suck the pen u dont suck the ink up because of the hole!!11

FILL IN MY QUESSTIONAIIRE THREAD PLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEEE I NEED SO MANY MORE PEOPLE TO FILL IT IN< IT WONT TAKE A MIN!!

ok, but can you give me a good rep? coz i dont have any :frown:
Reply 16
Hi people,
Now I'm confused about where the hole I meant was *here's a pretty mess*..lol.. I was talking about holes that i thought there were down near the writing end of the pen, like 3 round the circumference, but now i inspect all my biros, there aren't any! Although calumc seems to have found them :smile: Thank god, i thought i might have been hallucinating - how depressing, to hallucinate extra features on cheap ballpoint pens. Thanks for all the answers on the holes in the lid though... btw hornblower, your biro may be ergonomic, but does it still write?

J x

ps: Fly By >>i think hes talkin about the holes on the pen<< - 'm a gal...
Reply 17
whitefire
btw hornblower, your biro may be ergonomic, but does it still write?
Course it does, now the lines are especially darker with all those carbon deposits
Reply 18
sorry whitefire, you just can't tell whether people are guys or dolls on here. especially with your football shirt!
whitefire
btw hornblower, your biro may be ergonomic, but does it still write?

It worked perfectly. Then it snapped in half.

Doesn't matter - I should have another chemistry practical soon.

Latest

Trending

Trending