Original post by keynes24
It would be easier if you type you answer

mm that is effort brah
Original post by Super199
mm that is effort brah

you are asking for help
you are asking for help

And I have uploaded a photo not going to write it up in an exam am I?
And I have uploaded a photo not going to write it up in an exam am I?

I am not trying to be picky, got a mobile phone and the attachment doesn't look clear. Maybe someone else can check it for you.
Any suggestions on where to improve this would be appreciated. I haven't finished yet as I can't think of any other L4 arguments. Thanks :smile:

P.s sorry about the handwriting haha

Ok.
Level 1 is ok but give a proper definition for regulation
Level 2 - you need 4 applied points, e.g cigarettes sunbeds fast food alcohol
Level 3 - explain 2 of the examples above with a diagram
Level 4 - discussion of costs/benefits in detail AND an alternative form of intervention, indirect tax would be a good example but say the drawback is that its heavily influenced by PED and most demerits goods are price inelastic
EE: the highest you could get is 15 as you have to explicity state whether you think REGULATION IS or ISNT the most effective solution

I would give 12 out of 18 because:
For all L2 marks you need 4 applied points
Your l4 evaluation is waaay to brief because you havent explained any of the points
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Ok.
Level 1 is ok but give a proper definition for regulation
Level 2 - you need 4 applied points, e.g cigarettes sunbeds fast food alcohol
Level 3 - explain 2 of the examples above with a diagram
Level 4 - discussion of costs/benefits in detail AND an alternative form of intervention, indirect tax would be a good example but say the drawback is that its heavily influenced by PED and most demerits goods are price inelastic
EE: the highest you could get is 15 as you have to explicity state whether you think REGULATION IS or ISNT the most effective solution

I would give 12 out of 18 because:
For all L2 marks you need 4 applied points
Your l4 evaluation is waaay to brief because you havent explained any of the points

L1 and L2 are not needed if you have a good L3 analysis.
L3 does not require the use of examples but explanation of the policy + reference to the impact on market failure to reach L3 band 2.
There is no cap on 15 marks if you don't mention whether is effective or not. The EE could be suggest an alternative or combination of policies
Any suggestions on where to improve this would be appreciated. I haven't finished yet as I can't think of any other L4 arguments. Thanks :smile:

P.s sorry about the handwriting haha

Handwriting is readable no need apology! Better than mines becos I rush at the end of the exam plus tiredness

A really nice and clear essay...
Id recommend you to mention the examples of harm from cigarettes than just saying harm ie risk of cancer, bad teeth etc just to show apart from application, you also identified and explain...

Maybe you can add another point referring to the diagram to say what does the fall in quantity mean ie Q1 to Q2, which I would say the reduction of consumption thus reduces market failure/neg exter thus it is effective to an extent ...then start you argument

The reason I said that becos my teacher often tells me to link back to the question, which mentioned the key words ie effective, extent and market failure so then you have answered the question clearly

Cant really give a marK as you stated that you have not finished :biggrin:

End of the day, Im not an examiner so dont take my words too seriously :P But I also learn stuff from you, I tend to repeat and repeat and write too much irrelevant stuff :L

Ahhh remember to read off the mark scheme when you finish, btw my analysis of your essay is not accurate, I did not use a MS ...

Ah I hope I didnt offend you, Im a nice person xD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 187
HELP!!! I was doing the june 2009 past paper, and for question 2b, i noticed in the mark scheme they didn't show a shift for the demand curve. I have no idea why, as in the case study it gave clear reference to an increase in binge flyers.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59758-question-paper-unit-f581-01-markets-in-action.pdf

Makscheme:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59754-mark-scheme-june.pdf
Original post by Yousf
HELP!!! I was doing the june 2009 past paper, and for question 2b, i noticed in the mark scheme they didn't show a shift for the demand curve. I have no idea why, as in the case study it gave clear reference to an increase in binge flyers.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59758-question-paper-unit-f581-01-markets-in-action.pdf

Makscheme:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59754-mark-scheme-june.pdf

Because the question indicates the impact of a rise in the number of firms. It is not asking you to look at the extract.
Original post by Makashima
Handwriting is readable no need apology! Better than mines becos I rush at the end of the exam plus tiredness A really nice and clear essay...Id recommend you to mention the examples of harm from cigarettes than just saying harm ie risk of cancer, bad teeth etc just to show apart from application, you also identified and explain...Maybe you can add another point referring to the diagram to say what does the fall in quantity mean ie Q1 to Q2, which I would say the reduction of consumption thus reduces market failure/neg exter thus it is effective to an extent ...then start you argumentThe reason I said that becos my teacher often tells me to link back to the question, which mentioned the key words ie effective, extent and market failure so then you have answered the question clearlyCant really give a marK as you stated that you have not finished :biggrin:End of the day, Im not an examiner so dont take my words too seriously :P But I also learn stuff from you, I tend to repeat and repeat and write too much irrelevant stuff :LAhhh remember to read off the mark scheme when you finish, btw my analysis of your essay is not accurate, I did not use a MS ...Ah I hope I didnt offend you, Im a nice person xD
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Ok.Level 1 is ok but give a proper definition for regulationLevel 2 - you need 4 applied points, e.g cigarettes sunbeds fast food alcoholLevel 3 - explain 2 of the examples above with a diagramLevel 4 - discussion of costs/benefits in detail AND an alternative form of intervention, indirect tax would be a good example but say the drawback is that its heavily influenced by PED and most demerits goods are price inelasticEE: the highest you could get is 15 as you have to explicity state whether you think REGULATION IS or ISNT the most effective solution I would give 12 out of 18 because:For all L2 marks you need 4 applied pointsYour l4 evaluation is waaay to brief because you havent explained any of the points

any help with l4? Thanks for the advice
Did anybody else get an unexpected poor result in this exam last year? I was on track for a high 90% but only got a D. Understandably I am worried about this happening again despite feeling confident. Anybody else in the same situation or does anybody have any advice. Thanks
Original post by anorris13
Did anybody else get an unexpected poor result in this exam last year? I was on track for a high 90% but only got a D. Understandably I am worried about this happening again despite feeling confident. Anybody else in the same situation or does anybody have any advice. Thanks

Did you get your script back? Did many people in your class do bad? Advice depends on what caused your low grade.
Did you get your script back? Did many people in your class do bad? Advice depends on what caused your low grade.

Yeah got the script back, I felt quite hard done by, only got 7 on the essay because I missed a point that kept my in L2. My result was pretty standard, the whole centre did poorly, although so did other centres in the region. Could someone explain the level system as we were never told the difference between L1/L2/L3/L4 etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah got the scrip back, I felt quite hard done by, only got 7 on the essay because I missed a point that kept my in L2. My result was pretty standard, the whole centre did poorly, although so did other centres in the region. Could someone explain the level system as we were never told the difference between L1/L2/L3/L4 etc

If the whole centre did bad then I would say it was more to do with exam technique and probably the teaching. You don't need L2 and L1, you can go straight to L3. I am assuming you got only L2 because you did not do a correctly labelled diagram with explanation. L3 has 2 bands (Band 1 and Band 2), even if you have very good evaluations if you cannot reach Band 2 L3 your evaluations will not count and you are stuck at 10 marks which is the highest for L3 Band 1.
If the whole centre did bad then I would say it was more to do with exam technique and probably the teaching. You don't need L2 and L1, you can go straight to L3. I am assuming you got only L2 because you did not do a correctly labelled diagram with explanation. L3 has 2 bands (Band 1 and Band 2), even if you have very good evaluations if you cannot reach Band 2 L3 your evaluations will not count and you are stuck at 10 marks which is the highest for L3 Band 1.

What is the criteria for the bands?
What is the criteria for the bands?

Depends on the question. For the paper you sat:
L3 band 1 was correct diagram, rise in cost of production, rise in P (p1 to p2), lower quantity (q1 to q2)
L3 band 2 negative externalities will be internalised, reducing overconsumption, achieving allocative efficiency.
Yeah got the script back, I felt quite hard done by, only got 7 on the essay because I missed a point that kept my in L2. My result was pretty standard, the whole centre did poorly, although so did other centres in the region. Could someone explain the level system as we were never told the difference between L1/L2/L3/L4 etc

Assessment objective 1 -Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the specified content.
Assessment objective 2 -Apply knowledge and understanding of the specified content to problems and issues arising from both familiar and unfamiliar situations.
Assessment objective 3 -Analyse economic problems and issues.
Assessment objective 4 -Evaluate economic arguments andevidence, making informedjudgements.

Basically, L1 is giving definitions and describing the relevant economic theories.

L2 is being able to show how these theories relate to the given problem, explaining possible links and conflicts.

L3 is analysing these theories: explain what each of them is meant to do, what its purpose is and what the possible outcomes of its application may be.

L4 is explaining why these theories may not work the way they are intended do -ie reasons why they may fail. For example, if the PED of a product is elastic, raising the tax threshold would decrease the quantity demanted of said product (ANALYSIS -L3). However, this may not be the case as the PED values are estimates and may well be wrong (EVALUATION -L4).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 197
Any ideas of what the 18marker might be based on? Just have a guess!
Original post by Yousf
Any ideas of what the 18marker might be based on? Just have a guess!

Not taxation
Pollution permits, regulations or any other policy to reduce market failure
Can there be an 18 marker on tradable permits, or is there not enough scope for a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending