The Student Room Group

Mathematics at the university of Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
That's quite harsh. Though I agree with your first paragraph, but a lot of people overseas do not know this (that is to say if the OP isn't currently studying in UK).

I wasn't aware that Universities had websites which only worked within the UK...
Reply 21
Original post by davros
Keep it civilized, guys :smile:

OP - you should be able to find the answer to most of your questions from the links provided already.

If anything's unclear, post back :smile:

Yes I've found my answers, also I like the way Warwick give everyone (95%) of applicants an offer and it is up to them to meet the offer, anyone know of any other university course which works this way?
Reply 22
Original post by Sal11
Nope, I'd go for the easiest option which is grade- AAA and S in step.

That is the hardest option. A* in Maths A-level is easy, all you need is 90 in C3 and C4. FM is harder, but still doable if you've been revising for STEP.

Original post by TeeEm
or apply to UCL or IMPERIAL which have lower requirements

UCL want a language GCSE. And Imperial is not easier than Warwick.
Reply 23
Original post by Sal11
Nope, I'd go for the easiest option which is grade- AAA and S in step.

Since people are replying to this, I think it's important to clarify that this is not one of their standard offers.

In general, if a university specifies their offer in terms of grades (instead of points) then decreasing one grade and increasing another grade correspondingly would, in general, not meet the offer.
I know the offers are A*A*A and 2 in step or A*AA and 1 in step. But I think I'm likely to get A*A*B and aim for a 1 in step by any chance would they still give me a place at Warwick?
Original post by apple cakes
I know the offers are A*A*A and 2 in step or A*AA and 1 in step. But I think I'm likely to get A*A*B and aim for a 1 in step by any chance would they still give me a place at Warwick?

I doubt it, the people I knew who missed the offer hadn't got the STEP grade, but had made their A-Levels. Like ttoby just said, you can't compensate by losing an A-Level grade here and doing better on STEP, it doesn't really work like that. If anything, I'd say make sure your A-Levels are good and that should take precedence over STEP, both for getting into Warwick (or possibly your insurance) and applying for jobs later - employers ask for your A-Levels but won't know about STEP.
Original post by jameswhughes
I doubt it, the people I knew who missed the offer hadn't got the STEP grade, but had made their A-Levels. Like ttoby just said, you can't compensate by losing an A-Level grade here and doing better on STEP, it doesn't really work like that. If anything, I'd say make sure your A-Levels are good and that should take precedence over STEP, both for getting into Warwick (or possibly your insurance) and applying for jobs later - employers ask for your A-Levels but won't know about STEP.

Thanks for the help I am aiming to meet the requirements. Just wanting to know if something like that occurred if there was still a possibility to make it.
Reply 27
Original post by apple cakes
Thanks for the help I am aiming to meet the requirements. Just wanting to know if something like that occurred if there was still a possibility to make it.

It's impossible to say for certain - it all depends on how close you came to meeting the offer, how well the other applicants did and the strength of your application overall.

Quick Reply

Latest