The Student Room Group

Extended Project relevant?

As part of my personal statement I am mentioning that I have completed the extended project qualification (EPQ).
I feel that the experience gained from this will help me with the later year research projects of my chosen courses, however my mentor has suggested removing the sentence where I state that I think it would be helpful.
Should I take my mentors advice or would it be beneficial to state this point in my personal statement?
Original post by Andybro
As part of my personal statement I am mentioning that I have completed the extended project qualification (EPQ).
I feel that the experience gained from this will help me with the later year research projects of my chosen courses, however my mentor has suggested removing the sentence where I state that I think it would be helpful.
Should I take my mentors advice or would it be beneficial to state this point in my personal statement?

I don't see why they'd say remove it completely, maybe they didn't like the wording that you chose?

But believe me if it wasn't for an EPQ I wouldn't have gotten into my current course (Dentistry) it gave me an opportunity to stand out from the crowd via my personal statement and I discussed it in vigorous detail during my interviews. Thus, from my own experience I dissuade you from removing it.

I do however believe, it will be good to talk more about it. MY EPQ was more than 1/5 of my personal statement xD
I agree with the above poster. If you think the EPQ has inspired you, definitely mention it - doing the EPQ shows that you've got a wealth of experience and it can give you something to talk about at interview. Maybe it was the wording your mentor didn't like rather than actually mentioning the EPQ?
Is the content relevant to your chosen course? If it is, briefly explain what you did and why it was interesting. Otherwise it's not really necessary as the admissions tutors will know the sorts of skills you gain from it and it will be elsewhere in your application thst you are doing it
They probably just think it's a bit cocky, in practice it's only going to help with reports early on which are a dime a dozen. It's better to talk about how it widened and extended your knowledge on a particular subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending