The Student Room Group

Should I do EPQ ?

I am doing AS-levels at the moment: Computer science, Maths, Further maths, ICT BTEC extended certificate. Going to drop CS though (not mentally capable of doing the big project in A2). I am thinking of doing computer science in uni as it seems to be the only option for me. I think that I will get A (Further Maths), B (Maths), C (computer science - **** eduqas, to be totally honest), D* (ICT). I am aiming for Uni of Cardiff, uni of Liverpool, Leicester uni, uni of Brighton, uni of Aberystwyth. These unis have achievable entry requirements and seem to have nice modules for CS. However, should I do an EPQ to "impress" those unis or are they not very hard to get into? Will it be a waste of time in my case? I already have quite a few relevant and valuable extracurriculars and I am not sure that I will be able to write a proper essay for EPQ.
Reply 1
Original post by morning_bell
I am doing AS-levels at the moment: Computer science, Maths, Further maths, ICT BTEC extended certificate. Going to drop CS though (not mentally capable of doing the big project in A2). I am thinking of doing computer science in uni as it seems to be the only option for me. I think that I will get A (Further Maths), B (Maths), C (computer science - **** eduqas, to be totally honest), D* (ICT). I am aiming for Uni of Cardiff, uni of Liverpool, Leicester uni, uni of Brighton, uni of Aberystwyth. These unis have achievable entry requirements and seem to have nice modules for CS. However, should I do an EPQ to "impress" those unis or are they not very hard to get into? Will it be a waste of time in my case? I already have quite a few relevant and valuable extracurriculars and I am not sure that I will be able to write a proper essay for EPQ.

check the uni's entry requirements to see if they will offer you reduced grades for an EPQ. Unless your really passionate about the subject your going to write about I dont think its too important. If you worried about how time consuming it will be, I did mine 2 weeks before the deadline (did quite a few all nighters) and still got an A*. If oyu did an hour a day you would be done in no time. JUST FOLLOW THE MARK SCHEME. Trust me read each section and make sure your hitting every point.
Reply 2
Original post by JaCey04
check the uni's entry requirements to see if they will offer you reduced grades for an EPQ. Unless your really passionate about the subject your going to write about I dont think its too important. If you worried about how time consuming it will be, I did mine 2 weeks before the deadline (did quite a few all nighters) and still got an A*. If oyu did an hour a day you would be done in no time. JUST FOLLOW THE MARK SCHEME. Trust me read each section and make sure your hitting every point.

Thank you! I have something to think about now. I feel like I can create an art artefact quite quickly (over summer break), but it won't be relevant to CS in any way. Yeah, I think it would be more useful if I developed a mini-game or smthn. If you don't mind me asking, did you do an essay or an artefact?
Reply 3
Original post by morning_bell
Thank you! I have something to think about now. I feel like I can create an art artefact quite quickly (over summer break), but it won't be relevant to CS in any way. Yeah, I think it would be more useful if I developed a mini-game or smthn. If you don't mind me asking, did you do an essay or an artefact?

I did an essay on virtual reality. Mostly bc I thought it was easier.

Quick Reply

Latest