The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Writing my personal statement and I was wondering if it's worth mentioning certain achievements just for the sake of this or if this is unnecessary?? e.g. do I mention my D of E and EPQ (I can link it to the development of skills but I feels a lot like pointless listing??))
Original post by tillie06
Writing my personal statement and I was wondering if it's worth mentioning certain achievements just for the sake of this or if this is unnecessary?? e.g. do I mention my D of E and EPQ (I can link it to the development of skills but I feels a lot like pointless listing??))

Hey @tillie06 👋

It's definitely worth listing your achievements, but try to relate it to how it has helped develop your skills & strengths to prepare you for university.

For example: "I achieved a silver duke of Edinburgh award, which gave me valuable teamwork experience and improved my resilience and confidence in completing tasks and challenges"

Don't just list things if you can help it, but there's a way to spin any achievement and qualification and tailor it to how useful your experience will be for life at uni

Best of luck!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Depends if you're applying to Oxbridge - they focus on super curriculars, like additional reading or subject-specific competitions. For any other university, as the previous poster said, try "and tailor it to how useful your experience will be for life at uni".

Good luck!

Including achievements like your Duke of Edinburgh Award (D of E) and Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) in your personal statement can be valuable if you can connect them to the development of relevant skills or experiences that are pertinent to your academic or career goals. Avoid listing achievements just for the sake of it; instead, focus on how they have shaped you or provided you with skills that make you a strong candidate for your chosen path.

What degree subject are you applying for?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
What degree subject are you applying for?

BSc/BA geography
BSc/BA geography

That's an academic degree - there's no need to waste space on your PS talking about soft skills from a DoE.

Was your EPQ on a topic linked to Geography at all? If so then that could be beneficial if you want to talk in detail about your topic and how you approached your research and write up.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
That's an academic degree - there's no need to waste space on your PS talking about soft skills from a DoE.

Was your EPQ on a topic linked to Geography at all? If so then that could be beneficial if you want to talk in detail about your topic and how you approached your research and write up.

my EPQ discussed the continued use of prison sentencing relating to social/class divides so it has relevance to my preferences within human geography - unsure if it's a bit of stretch?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending