The Student Room Group

So confusing! Mid-year, final reports and extracurricular recommendations?

I'm asking a lot of questions about applying to the US here, but please bear with me, it is very very confusing :frown:

1. I see that my 'counselor' (or head of 6th form) has to write up a mid-year report and a final report for the Common app, but I can't find information about when or how my counselor should write them! And please don't just give me this link, because it really doesn't talk about either of those. (sorry Fulbright)

2. If I get the reference from my music teacher for the music portfolios, do I still have to get him to write me a separate recommendation for the Common app/MyMIT? I mean, they're kinda different but very very similar too.

Please help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
*Just to clarify, I'm confused especially about the final report, because by the time I have my 'final grades', won't the Universities have already given out their offers? So why would they want our grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Pilz
*Just to clarify, I'm confused especially about the final report, because by the time I have my 'final grades', won't the Universities have already given out their offers? So why would they want our grades?

Regarding this, they want you to send in your final Year 13 grades to verify that you've maintained the same academic level, as in your grades haven't slipped after you received your acceptance letter. This may also be used to award credits for your A Level classes (usually for A*/A and sometimes B) depending on the universities.
Reply 3
Original post by pbunny
Regarding this, they want you to send in your final Year 13 grades to verify that you've maintained the same academic level

Ahhh I see, thanks! But could you help me out with how I should ask my counselor to write my mid-year and final report? As in, the report format and what they should include. Also, when is the mid-year report supposed to be sent anyway?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a gap year applicant so I already have my A-levels and I am no longer at school. Do I still need to submit the Mid-Year & Final Year Report or what do I do?
Reply 5
Original post by megan_edwards
I'm a gap year applicant so I already have my A-levels and I am no longer at school. Do I still need to submit the Mid-Year & Final Year Report or what do I do?

I really do hate this. There never is one place where you can get all the information and Fulbright, I'm afraid, is very limited with the guide they give :angry:
Reply 6
The colleges that require the mid-year report usually have a deadline for them on their websites.

When I did mine, my Careers Advisor just updated on what I've been up to and how I've been doing since the initial application.

I didn't submit my Final report as the system was taken down before then. Theoretically, they could rescind their offer if you bomb your A Levels but I've never heard of that happening (possibly because I've never heard of anyone bombing that hard). My uni didn't ask for anything from me after I committed. Others may vary.

There is nothing against shooting the colleges you are applying a quick email asking about what to do in specific scenarios, by the way. They will be more than happy to help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending