The Student Room Group

Got my grade back for my first formative assessment and really disappointed

Hey, so, I'm in my first year of biomed at uni of Sheffield. They've given us several online assessments and lab assessments and so far i've got 70%+ in them. We did one the other day in an exam setting and i got my mark back today at 40%...12/30. The message online from our module coordinator said they were the hardest batch of questions ever and last years average was 30% whereas ours was 35%. I was ranked 79/216 and he said to concentrate on rank, not actual grade. I just feel really disappointed and don't even feel pleased by my rank! I know a lot of people will be reading this thinking "stupid first year, it doesn't even count, no need to stress" etc. but i was just wanting some past experience from other science students in terms of formative assessment results and their actual end of year grade. Kind of freaking out (which is probably a bit unnesecary) but we have a test in week 11 which counts towards 10% of our 1st year grade :/
Original post by Katy4341
Hey, so, I'm in my first year of biomed at uni of Sheffield. They've given us several online assessments and lab assessments and so far i've got 70%+ in them. We did one the other day in an exam setting and i got my mark back today at 40%...12/30. The message online from our module coordinator said they were the hardest batch of questions ever and last years average was 30% whereas ours was 35%. I was ranked 79/216 and he said to concentrate on rank, not actual grade. I just feel really disappointed and don't even feel pleased by my rank! I know a lot of people will be reading this thinking "stupid first year, it doesn't even count, no need to stress" etc. but i was just wanting some past experience from other science students in terms of formative assessment results and their actual end of year grade. Kind of freaking out (which is probably a bit unnesecary) but we have a test in week 11 which counts towards 10% of our 1st year grade :/

Well I'm a humanities graduate, not a science graduate so I don't know about your subject/assessment methods but what I can tell you is that most people have 'blips' in their academic careers and most people that I went to uni with either failed an exam/piece of coursework or got a grade that they weren't particularly pleased with. These things happen but it's not the end of the world - the fact that it's got you down shows that you're serious about your degree and working hard, so don't get too bogged down by it. As you say, it won't have a bearing on your degree result - so look at it as a learning experience - something went 'wrong' so you just accept it, take a step back and ask for feedback. That's the most important thing really - look at where marks were lost and look into improving your knowledge of those areas.

Just see it as an opportunity for improvement of you knowledge and an experience of dealing with how to handle setbacks. You'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending