The Student Room Group

Reference for BPTC scholarship has changed their mind - what to do?

Thanks for the advice and support guys! Really helped :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you really need to get face to face with your GDL tutor and find out why they changed their mind. You should know the reasons in any case. You should also go and ask your dissertation tutor about a potential reference to see what they say. Other than that, where is your personal tutor? Ask them what you should do. What's wrong with your undergrad tutor? Are you thinking that it is better to have a more recent academic reference? Isn't the undergrad tutor OK? If the non-law job boss will give you a good reference, then think about him/her.

But I really would get to the bottom of this not giving you a reference business too.

In short, your best bets seem to be undergrad tutor and non-law work boss. But I would check out the dissertation tutor (you are assuming a lot to think it won't be a good reference) and check out the GDL guy too.

Original post by monokurobuu
So prior to applying I asked my GDL tutor if they'd be a reference for me and they agreed. Now that I've submitted my app and the deadline (for me) has passed, they've changed their mind. They say because I have no results yet for the GDL, they don't have anything to write. What to do? :frown:

I asked my undergrad tutor and an accquaintance I know who is a lawyer to give me references, but I'm still one down. My remaining options are my MA dissertation supervisor (whom I've never met in person) and my former boss from a non-law job. I spoke to the Inn and they said I can change it, but strongly recommended an academic or professional reference.

I'm reluctant to ask my supervisor as my dissertation has not been going well (due to serious IRL issues), they have been understanding, but I doubt that I will get a higher mark than a pass for it. Given my personal circumstances I would be extremely pleased with this, but it does not show me in the best light at a scholarship panel and I want to avoid bringing it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending