The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's more inconsistencies than stupidity in most cases

There's a 10m cut-through corridor that save you having to walk round to the far side that no one can use(Not even teachers) because it's like a visitor entrance and office adjoining it( I never saw it used)

Lower school dress code is enforced like living in a police state, Upper School/Sixth form no one cares

No Electronic devices in sight on lower school,lesson or other. Upper school, fine to have out on your desk as long as they're on silent and you pay attention and do the work
We had to ask to take our jumpers off. When it was really hot, we were allowed to just take them off.

The no mobile phones baffles me. What happens if you live quite far away from the school and need to contact your parents to let them know you're going to be late home? Phone boxes are pretty much non-existent now.

Although, it does make sense to some extent - the amount of people who'd play with them in lessons, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by OU Student
We had to ask to take our jumpers off. When it was really hot, we were allowed to just take them off.

The no mobile phones baffles me. What happens if you live quite far away from the school and need to contact your parents to let them know you're going to be late home? Phone boxes are pretty much non-existent now.

Although, it does make sense to some extent - the amount of people who'd play with them in lessons, etc.

you were allowed it in your bag turned off, for just that reason, so after school you could contact people but the moment it was in sight on lower school grounds you were breaking the rules and were in danger of having the phone confiscated and a detention
No more or less than 6 stripes on a tie.
Could not wear coats TO AND FROM school (even in winter).
No make-up (although tell this one to the girl that came in looking like an Oompa Loompa every day - no joke).
Entertainment at lunchtime classed as 'disrupting education'.
Forced to pray regardless of religion.
Fast-tracking students to do GCSE RE at Year 10, instead of a different subject.
Had to do a GNVQ ICT course rather than BTEC or GCSE.

A friend of mine attends this school now. Apparently, due to him being atheist, he is being forced to sit in a room by himself during RE lessons.
I'm in sixth form and we're not allowed to have our shoulders uncovered because we 'wouldn't want the young lads around here to get the wrong idea'. It's a shoulder, I mean, cmon. :')
Original post by Jgco2chem
For me, to stand up when a head of department enters the classroom...I'm in sixth-form and it disrupts my thinking during maths lessons!

For me, from secondary to Sixth Form at the same place; turning up was the only relatively lenient rule they had. They couldn't even enforce that properly.
Dance and drama lessons in the school hall - we didn't get changed but had to take our shoes and socks off... school uniform and barefoot, what was that all about?
Original post by SophieSmall
My school had a no mobile phones allowed on the school premises rule. Whilst I completely agree with schools being able to say no mobiles during class ect and being able to confiscate them for the duration of the lesson or even the day, I found the no mobiles on school premises a bit too far. It meant if you were found to have a mobile anywhere in school at any point of the school day (even say at lunch time in the lunch hall, or in the corridor leaving school for the end of the day). They could confiscate your phone. A second add on to the rule (which was my main problem with it) was that is a phone was confiscated it was taken to the school office and HAD to be collected by a parent and they made no exceptions with this rule.

I once had my phone confiscated from me at lunch time in the hallway, I was told to get a parent to come and collect it. I told her my mum is disabled and cannot get to the school to pick it up, she said to get my father to pick it up I said I didn't have one. She didn't care she said get your mum to come in, so there is my mum disabled to **** having to pay money for a taxi to come in and collect a phone that was taken off me despite me not being of any disruption with it.

Now you may say "oh don't take your phone to school". Due to my mums disability and possibly needing to contact me at any time and also because I had to walk a long distance home often times in the dark my mum would not allow me to leave the house without my mobile for safety reasons. There were many other students with similar reasoning for needing to have mobile phones on their person, such as students needing to travel home via a couple of buses or a bus then train who may have needed to contact parents in the event of a train delay or cancellation stuff like that.

Your mam could have rang the school's office during the school day and you should have just used the mobile phone outside school.You also could have tried to set up some alternative arrangement with the teachers/school.Did you have any excuse for using your mobile phone in the hallway?

Generally this sounds like a good rule because mobile phones caused so much disruption in classes at school and are in most cases unnecessary, when students need to concentrate in classes.Preventing students from using them at all in school is extremely important in teaching students to learn to do without them/not become addicted phone addiction is very bad and can cause a lot of deaths from dangerous driving using a mobile phone, not looking at the traffic when crossing the road due to talking on mobile phone etc.

Your mam shouldn't have encouraged you to break the school rules as a general rule you should always obey the school rules unless it breaks the law as they have the authority not you or your mam over the school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
Not 'stupid' as in inconvenient, but the Head Boy is allowed to keep a goat on one of the school's lawns.

Nothing wrong with that, whatever floats his goat.

Original post by flutterby-x303
We also HAD to sing religious songs even if you claimed you weren't Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was this primary school? We had to sing hymns and stuff in primary school assembly. I used to keep my head down so no one would notice I wasn't singing, though I don't remember what the punishment was for not singing. We also all had to go down to church some time in December for Christmas carols.
Original post by LaughingKitsune
No more or less than 6 stripes on a tie.
Could not wear coats TO AND FROM school (even in winter).
No make-up (although tell this one to the girl that came in looking like an Oompa Loompa every day - no joke).
Entertainment at lunchtime classed as 'disrupting education'.
Forced to pray regardless of religion.
Fast-tracking students to do GCSE RE at Year 10, instead of a different subject.
Had to do a GNVQ ICT course rather than BTEC or GCSE.

A friend of mine attends this school now. Apparently, due to him being atheist, he is being forced to sit in a room by himself during RE lessons.

They actually tried to enforce uniform rules outside of school?

Original post by Dalek1099
Your mam could have rang the school's office during the school day and you should have just used the mobile phone outside school.You also could have tried to set up some alternative arrangement with the teachers/school.Did you have any excuse for using your mobile phone in the hallway?

Generally this sounds like a good rule because mobile phones caused so much disruption in classes at school and are in most cases unnecessary, when students need to concentrate in classes.Preventing students from using them at all in school is extremely important in teaching students to learn to do without them/not become addicted phone addiction is very bad and can cause a lot of deaths from dangerous driving using a mobile phone, not looking at the traffic when crossing the road due to talking on mobile phone etc.

Your mam shouldn't have encouraged you to break the school rules as a general rule you should always obey the school rules unless it breaks the law as they have the authority not you or your mam over the school.

By the looks of it the rule said no phones allowed on the premises at all. Fair enough confiscating it if they use it in lessons, but confiscating it because they used it outside of lessons (or even just having it on them anywhere in school) is incredibly stupid of the school. A mobile phone is important to a lot of pupils, they may need them for contacting parents during school time. e.g. If they decide to go to a friend's house after school, it's just a quick text or call. Or if the bus is delayed, etc. Any school that simply bans all phones from the premises is being very unreasonable, possibly downright irresponsible in some cases.
Original post by RFowler

Hell yes. They wanted us to be representatives of their schools - so that we get bullied by the rival school for being 'Bible Bashers'.
Original post by LaughingKitsune
Hell yes. They wanted us to be representatives of their schools - so that we get bullied by the rival school for being 'Bible Bashers'.

Were they successful? I would have thought a school would have absolutely zero power to enforce that rule outside the school premises.
Original post by RFowler
Were they successful? I would have thought a school would have absolutely zero power to enforce that rule outside the school premises.

Nope, we all wore coats and hoodies and stuff to and from school anyway. It was just way too cold. The problem is that they enforced the rule during the winter.

It wasn't that much of a problem for Yr 7-10s, they could wear both a jumper and blazer. But Yr 11s (I was a Yr 11 at the time) only had jumpers with the school badge on. So we were practically going to freeze otherwise.
Original post by RFowler

By the looks of it the rule said no phones allowed on the premises at all. Fair enough confiscating it if they use it in lessons, but confiscating it because they used it outside of lessons (or even just having it on them anywhere in school) is incredibly stupid of the school. A mobile phone is important to a lot of pupils, they may need them for contacting parents during school time. e.g. If they decide to go to a friend's house after school, it's just a quick text or call. Or if the bus is delayed, etc. Any school that simply bans all phones from the premises is being very unreasonable, possibly downright irresponsible in some cases.

They could ring on the school phone and things like that should usually be agreed face to face with a parent anyway.I would be very annoyed if my child just rang and said something like that the only possible excuse for not coming home early would be something school related and its unlikely transport delays like buses would cause your child to come home too much later.
Original post by TajwarC
We flicked through a teachers "handbook" and saw that "Study leave" is a banned phrase...

But what else is it supposed to be called? :redface:
Original post by JustBeing
But what else is it supposed to be called? :redface:

Unfortunately we don't get it :frown:
Reply 56
in college right now is not to wear hats at all (pisses me off because of my headshape)

When i was school it was no extremely haircuts or if your late 5 minutes... yes thats right FIVE MINUTES LATE :mad:
Boys and girls aren't allowed to be within six inches of each other. Stupidest rule ever.
Original post by Dalek1099

And if my mum needed to contact me after school? Say when I was walking home or somewhere else in between finishing school and going home? The school was very clear of no exceptions. And as for the "you could just use your phone outside of school" there were sometimes random bag checks so they would find your phone even if you weren't using it in school. I was literally just checking the time on my phone in the hallway.

I already said I completely agreed with mobiles being confiscated if used in class. If they are being confiscated in class already there is no need to implement a school wide ban.

Eh, she had good reason to encourage me to take my phone with me. Once I ended up stranded at a bus stop with no mobile phone, no information service at the bus stop and no nearby area for me to contact someone in need of assistance, I had to knock on a strangers door to ask them to phone me a taxi...pretty dangerous if you ask me and could have been avoided had I had my mobile phone.
Reply 59
We have a split site school so at our lower site there was a one way system that you couldn't break which was extremely annoying when you had classes next door to each other but had to go all the way around again!

At our upper site they were really strict on enforcing uniform rules: you weren't allowed coats, scarves etc. on inside school and everyone had to stand up in assembly once a half term to check the length of their skirts and the tightness of their trousers etc. My friend was once told, four weeks before the end of term in year 11, that her jumper was too small and she needed to buy a new one for the last month (which was mainly exams anyway!!)

Now at sixth form they're more lenient with uniform, but short skirts and low cut tops are still offences that require you to go home and change, regardless of lessons or where you live, and you're still not allowed hair dye or a small nose piercing! We were also told at AS that we would have no study leave and be required to attend lessons as normal... but the amount of complaints received made the school back down thankfully!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending