The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
aliel
So, have you considered what options you will choose for History?

Only in the sense of "I wish I could do all of these". The historiography paper (1st year) just looks so amazing - I'm split between doing the primary sources stuff (Tacitus to Weber) and the foreign language texts. As for the General/British history stuff, there's just too much choice to know yet. The Med Hist tutor at my colleges is absolutely amazing though, so I'll just do what he teaches (he ran the Hist open day in September if you went to that). As for stuff after that...not sure. Would like to do a thesis though.
Reply 61
H&E
Only in the sense of "I wish I could do all of these". The historiography paper (1st year) just looks so amazing - I'm split between doing the primary sources stuff (Tacitus to Weber) and the foreign language texts. As for the General/British history stuff, there's just too much choice to know yet. The Med Hist tutor at my colleges is absolutely amazing though, so I'll just do what he teaches (he ran the Hist open day in September if you went to that). As for stuff after that...not sure. Would like to do a thesis though.

I change my mind daily- i'm a modernist by preference- but think it's important if try something new!
I think all the Unit 4 options are great- will be a hard choice!
Reply 62
aliel
I change my mind daily- i'm a modernist by preference- but think it's important if try something new!
I think all the Unit 4 options are great- will be a hard choice!

You should definitely do some medieval stuff, Oxford's really strong at it + it's slightly different coz there's so little evidence so your whole approach is slight different. Similarly, I'm looking forwarding to doing modern history properly for the first time in a couple of years.

As for Unit 4 - yeah it's amazing. One of the (many) big plus point over the Cambridge course.
H&E
You should definitely do some medieval stuff, Oxford's really strong at it + it's slightly different coz there's so little evidence so your whole approach is slight different. Similarly, I'm looking forwarding to doing modern history properly for the first time in a couple of years.

As for Unit 4 - yeah it's amazing. One of the (many) big plus point over the Cambridge course.

The lack of evidence is what makes ancient history good. I can't stand learning about Hitler et al, it bores me stiff, no imagination.
Reply 64
matthew
Shows what you know......I didn't break a single law. :tongue:

Arrest your tongue before your hurt yourself.

You know I have been a member of this board for 3 years and have never posted, and today I posted twice.

Was that you - out in the Far East! Coola!
Reply 65
aliel
Yeah, it's pretty. Look at in Jan 2004 during the snow:

http://www.pmb.ox.ac.uk/visitors/snow1.html

Pretty, huh!

How much did Pembroke charge for admitting students this year? :wink:
Reply 66
d750
Would you at least concede it was morally wrong?

(I'm still not convinced it wasn't fraud. Unless you get £1,000 of change it's not really the same thing)

It's actually incredibly funny.
Reply 67
Fluffy
How much did Pembroke charge for admitting students this year? :wink:

A coin or two went flying from my coat pocket as I tried to take it off...didn't try to retrieve it...i am sure it gave them an indication of the kind of money that would grace Pembroke...and they liked what they saw :biggrin:
Reply 68
Fluffy- what the hell is your avatar? It look's like a black dildo, with a napkin and a yellow hairband wrapped around it? :redface:
Reply 69
Lord Huntroyde
It's actually incredibly funny.

Not really. Just immature.
Reply 70
d750

Wow! How dull are you? There must be no joy in your life at all.
Reply 71
matthew

Hey, enough of that boys. It's his opinion and quite a few people agree with him. And quite a few people agree with you too... :tongue:
Reply 72
matthew

Look, my point is just that you treated the Chinese pretty shabbily. You may have enjoyed it, but they certainly didn't and you shouldn't have done it. I wasn't making a personal attack on you.
Reply 73
d750
Look, my point is just that you treated the Chinese pretty shabbily. You may have enjoyed it, but they certainly didn't and you shouldn't have done it. I wasn't making a personal attack on you.

I'd agree.
Reply 74
JUSTaGIRL
So would I.

I also do not think it's particularly honourable to sneak around in bushes with a videocamera trying to film other candidates when standing for election.

He did that? :eek:
Reply 75
aliel
He did that? :eek:

Well, he got someone else to do it. Not the worst conduct in that election, 'though. :eek:
Reply 76
d750
Well, he got someone else to do it. Not the worst conduct in that election, 'though. :eek:

What else happened? :frown:
Reply 77
d750

I don't think the process of pretending to be an economics expert, going to China, giving lectures out of an A-level text book until you run out of material, then being frowned upon by a load of Chinese people can be described as immature.
Reply 78
aliel
What else happened? :frown:

There seemed to be a vendetta against one of the candidates - seemingly with a racial motivation.

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2004-04-22/news/6
Reply 79
JUSTaGIRL
Yes. And he had his Union membership temporarily withdrawn because of it.

Jeez, this site is turning into OxfordGossip.... :rolleyes:

Man, even OxfordGossip is more accurate than this. Where do you get your information, Mystic Meg?

I have never had my membership withdrawn or suspended or anything like it. Nor did I film any one.

If anyone is interested in finding out what the official record says happend it's all here http://daniel.matthewrichardson.com in the tribunal report section.

If you want to know what really happened wait for my memoirs. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending