The Student Room Group

What are the pros (and cons) of having a collegiate system in a university?

I watched a YT video where the graduate from a university with a collegiate system mentioned that they really enjoyed it. I was wondering what will it differ from a non collegiate system uni? Is there more emphasis on inter disciplinary studies? and to what extent?

I am looking at applying to Cambridge this year, so I am deciding if the culture is right for me.
Massive con which doesn’t have to be one is that there is absolutely no coordination/communication between colleges and the central faculties buildings. Every term when I get my timetable there are multiple things clashing and I constantly have to reorganise/miss things when each tutor is insisting that theirs is the more important of the two clashing things
Original post by FiftyPeachy
I watched a YT video where the graduate from a university with a collegiate system mentioned that they really enjoyed it. I was wondering what will it differ from a non collegiate system uni? Is there more emphasis on inter disciplinary studies? and to what extent?
I am looking at applying to Cambridge this year, so I am deciding if the culture is right for me.

Hi @FiftyPeachy,
I'm in my 3rd year at Lancaster which is a collegiate university, however i believe the college system here works a bit differently to cambridge so i'll try to provide a general insight.
Personally the main pro with the collegiate system if that there feels like there's lots of smaller communities on campus which helps you to get to know lots of people, especially when starting university as you live with people from the same college.
The colleges tend to have their own study space, which can be sometimes quieter and more relaxed than the library.
As there is the SCR (senior common room) within the college, these members of staff are really good to go to for support as they get to know you over your time at university and are good for providing wellbeing support ect.
Further, there tends to be lots of events going on within the colleges, so they provide an extra way to socialize outside your course and societies.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Username123ab
Massive con which doesn’t have to be one is that there is absolutely no coordination/communication between colleges and the central faculties buildings. Every term when I get my timetable there are multiple things clashing and I constantly have to reorganise/miss things when each tutor is insisting that theirs is the more important of the two clashing things

oh! how come you need to go to another college? for lectures? supervisions? most if not all supervisions should be in your home college rights?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending