The Student Room Group

English Literature AS Level?

Hello,

I started my AS levels in September doing Maths, Psychology, Biology and History. I originally chose English literature before I enrolled but I changed it as I achieved a Grade B at GCSE (I wanted at least an A if I were to continue). However now I am regretting not choosing English Literature, I feel that this course could have benefited me immensely in my reading, grammar and analytical skills. I do not read a lot but I do enjoy reading and analysing content. It is far too late to enroll onto the course now, so I was wondering whether I should do the AS level next year?

Will this be useful? I am looking to study Maths at University, I doubt English will really help with my application but I think I would find it enjoyable. Will it be too much work to do English Literature AS alongside 3 A2 levels? I am not too sure if this would be a wise move for me or not. Any opinions would help and is there any other options for me?
Reply 1
Seeing as school is soon going to break up for the Christmas holidays and because english lit isn't the easiest A-level, I think it might be too late to pick it up now, but that's just what I think. I suggest you pick it up only if you're prepared to fully commit to it once you start and if you're confident you'll be able to get the grade you're aiming for.

If I were you I would consult your peers who do english lit and possibly the teacher because they're more likely to know your strengths and weaknesses to assess whether or not you can pick it up now. Do you want to pick it up because you're unhappy with one of your other subjects?
Uhhh, I'm not in your college or nothing, but I am sure that it is too late to pick it up now. There is a lot of terminology, and reading which you must do and the teachers may state that it would put too much pressure on you to join in now. But its worth a try.

As for English Literature it is a fun subject, worth taking it!
Reply 3
Original post by Lilyghz
Seeing as school is soon going to break up for the Christmas holidays and because english lit isn't the easiest A-level, I think it might be too late to pick it up now, but that's just what I think. I suggest you pick it up only if you're prepared to fully commit to it once you start and if you're confident you'll be able to get the grade you're aiming for.

If I were you I would consult your peers who do english lit and possibly the teacher because they're more likely to know your strengths and weaknesses to assess whether or not you can pick it up now. Do you want to pick it up because you're unhappy with one of your other subjects?

I already know that picking it up now is not an option, this has been made clear to me. I realise I have made the wrong decision in one of my choices but hey ho, cant change the past. I was really just wondering whether doing the AS in year 13 would be at all beneficial to me?
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
I already know that picking it up now is not an option, this has been made clear to me. I realise I have made the wrong decision in one of my choices but hey ho, cant change the past. I was really just wondering whether doing the AS in year 13 would be at all beneficial to me?

Oh right sorry I misunderstood. Well.. you can if you want for your own personal benefit but in terms of applying to uni with it, it would give you more UCAS points I suppose, but most universities are just looking for 3 A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Lilyghz
Oh right sorry I misunderstood. Well.. you can if you want for your own personal benefit but in terms of applying to uni with it, it would give you more UCAS points I suppose, but most universities are just looking for 3 A levels.

Yeah i was thinking it may just be additional stress... i am so indecisive i chose the wrong a levels 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ben4
Yeah i was thinking it may just be additional stress... i am so indecisive i chose the wrong a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've all been there, don't worry. Though if it's of any relevance to your decision, my friend started a levels wanting to do medicine so she took french, chemistry, biology and history and then at the start of A2 she dropped both chemistry and biology and is now doing 2 years of politics in one because she has decided to apply for history and russian instead. She now has an interview with Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by Lilyghz
We've all been there, don't worry. Though if it's of any relevance to your decision, my friend started a levels wanting to do medicine so she took french, chemistry, biology and history and then at the start of A2 she dropped both chemistry and biology and is now doing 2 years of politics in one because she has decided to apply for history and russian instead. She now has an interview with Oxford.

That gives me confidence thank you. I want to do maths as its the only subject i am passionate and quite good at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest