The Student Room Group

PPE @ University of York vs Economics and IR @ University of St Andrews

Hey all,

I am currently at the University of York studying PPE, however, I have decided to re-apply through UCAS to the University of St Andrews to study Economics and International Relations.
I was wondering if people could give me their opinions on whether I should stay at York or change to St Andrews?
Also, which of the two courses has a higher reputation and prestige given the university they are being studied at?
Thank you for your help.
The fact that you have reapplied to UCAS despite already being at university would suggest that you are not happy on your course for whatever reason. With that in mind you should probably move. The danger is that the grass always seems greener on the other side, when often it isn't. A friend of mine moved to a slightly different university and whilst he was happier on the course his social life went from booming to poor.

Both good universities, probably St. Andrews is slightly more prestigious.
Reply 2
Original post by Eboracum
The fact that you have reapplied to UCAS despite already being at university would suggest that you are not happy on your course for whatever reason. With that in mind you should probably move. The danger is that the grass always seems greener on the other side, when often it isn't. A friend of mine moved to a slightly different university and whilst he was happier on the course his social life went from booming to poor.

Both good universities, probably St. Andrews is slightly more prestigious.

Any thoughts on the change of course? e.g. which one do you consider to be of more prestige?
Original post by Miguel1996
Any thoughts on the change of course? e.g. which one do you consider to be of more prestige?

Generally I don't accept the view that certain courses from certain universities attract more prestige than others. I just don't think employers would know, that's been my experience applying for grad schemes. I'd base any "prestige" solely on the course. They are similar courses anyway so it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd rather study at York than at any of the Scotland universities, but St. Andrews is probably (slightly) more prestigious.
I see YORK as a very prestigious uni. But St Andrews is just slightly better. York is a Russel Group uni, while St Andrews isn't. York is a beautiful city don't know anything about St Andrews.

I'd personally go with York. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending