The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FasterThanFTL
It's not enough. You're going to need 7 to 10 pounds per day, plus 20 to 40 pounds per week for going out to a restaurant. Plus extra spending money for other items. Thirty pounds won't last for more than 3 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must eat a lot if you spent that much for one person.
Original post by Sulpha
2x £3.49 - 3 Chicken Breasts
4x £0.45 - Can of Chickpeas
1x £2.50 - 12 Large Eggs
1x £1.50 - Bacon
1x £1.50 - 2 Ripe Avacados
1x £0.50 - Tomatoes
1x £0.50 - Lettuce
1x £0.75 - Peppers
1x £0.75 - Cucumber
1x £0.75 - Bread
1x £0.75 - Milk
1x £7.00 - Bottle of Wine

And then let's say an extra £5 for miscellaneous items like crisps, nibble etc just to be safe

That's £30.28

If you're spending £60 per week on one person, you're either rather large or you need to stop shopping in Sainsburys/Waitrose/M&S.

When I'm exercising, how the hell am I supposed to eat 6 small meals per day out of that? Good lord that is shocking. Also, that amount of chicken breast would last 1 day, if that.
Original post by Sulpha
I'm sorry to burst your bubble mate but noone gives a **** about whether or not you exercise. This thread isn't in that section.

Nice observation skills. Maybe you should use them to adjust your shopping to a healthy amount as you're not getting a balanced diet at all.

The thread is in a section asking everyday people for their rough spend weekly spend and most people aren't gym freaks who eat 6 chicken breasts per day.

Regardless, your shopping list was woefully inadequate for someone wanting to eat healthily. Ask any nutritionist.
Reply 43
I usually spend £40 maximum per week but then again I shop at a relatively expensive supermarket.
Original post by Sulpha

With a few minor sauces and the occasional bag of rice/pasta I can make 3 perfectly healthy meals per day and have done for years.

Still doesn't make it a healthy diet. You're missing out on loads.
Original post by tehFrance
Wow, you don't eat do you....

That poster is still trying to claim that this is a healthy diet. You couldn't make it up. :lol:
Original post by Sulpha
Yeah, I'm not going to do that.

With a few minor sauces and the occasional bag of rice/pasta I can make 3 perfectly healthy meals per day and have done for years.

It's not a healthy diet and you can get a lot more for £30/week, hell at Waitrose I can get a fair few chicken thighs, bacon, sausages, steaks, mince plus the usual fruit and vegetables for under £30/week if I buy basic and make sure that each month I top up the sauces and cooking spices.
Original post by Pseudocode
That poster is still trying to claim that this is a healthy diet. You couldn't make it up. :lol:

It's ridiculous :lol:

What's wrong with his diet? Seems perfectly fine to me. Perhaps some more fruit/veg would be good, and some fish instead of chicken occasionally, but that wouldn't add any more than a few pounds and the bottle of wine could be done without.
Original post by Kathiye
What's wrong with his diet? Seems perfectly fine to me. Perhaps some more fruit/veg would be good, and some fish instead of chicken occasionally, but that wouldn't add any more than a few pounds and the bottle of wine could be done without.

You answered your own question.
I think its about right.
When I'm exercising, how the hell am I supposed to eat 6 small meals per day out of that?

People still do this?? :rofl2:
Original post by SmashConcept
People still do this?? :rofl2:

Why wouldn't I? It's a better way of management and stops me from getting hungry after two hours and binging on rubbish. Not saying its the only way to do it but it works for me.
My weekly budget is around £20 per week. Easily done if you shop around (namely the market and Aldi).
You must eat very little then. It's common knowledge that food that is healthier for you actually works out more expensive than purchasing processed food. Please enlighten us as to what your weekly shop consists of. My weekly amount of chicken breast costs around £10 alone.

That's a relative observation. Fruit and vegetables from a market are still exceptionally cheap.
Original post by Rakas21
That's a relative observation. Fruit and vegetables from a market are still exceptionally cheap.

No they're not in comparison to buy 2 pizzas for £2 etc and all the other junk food deals. There is no way you can eat healthily and a true balanced diet on £20. You could probably do it on £30 but you'd be pushing it. I bet the vast majority of people don't get enough protein and eat far too many carbs. Please don't try and tell me pasta and everything is a balanced diet. A balanced diet, a true healthy diet is based on strict ratios of carbs/protein/fibre. If you're not getting enough of them you're not eating healthily and there will be people on here who will go, 'oh well im skinny so i must be healthy', when in reality they're starving their body of key nutrients etc.

Like I said, chicken alone costs £10+ for me and thats proper chicken ordered online, not the crap pumped with water and chemicals to preserve it that you can buy in stores.
Original post by tehFrance
No not just food, why weren't you clear in the OP as food only is roughly £70/w :h:

Nah you have to be obese or doing food shopping for 5 other people too. A weekly food shop? No one person can eat £150 worth of food a week without it being heavily processed and them with a BMI pushing 40
nope unless you are on a budget
Reply 57
i wont lie im seeing all of this about not eating to many unhealthy foods also slating other people eat in a day also a reminder that no everyone eats the same amount or shops in the same place. if you realistically thin about it and focus your main shopping at Aldi and Lidl you could easly manage a budget of £15-25 again depending how much you eat ad ur diet but also when your a uni student most days there isnt the time to cook 3 balanced meals a day.also having food like toast for breakfast will make the amount your spending drop along with buying tinned foods like tinned tomato's or tined veg although not the heathiest way its still better than a pot noodle so its a win. anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk

Latest