The Student Room Group

'New grammar schools will kick-start social mobility' - do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
I don't think bring back secondary moderns will improve social mobility.

Put it this way. take two kids both doing the grammar school entrance exam.

One is form a poor home, few books, parents not educated beyond 16 in manual jobs. Both parents not that bothered about education, not interested in helping with homework can't afford a tutor for entrance exam

One is from an average home, both parents have post 18 education and in professional jobs, value education, helps with homework and projects. Lots of books and other resources in the house. Can afford a tutor for entrance exam.

Which kid do you think has the better chance of getting into a grammar school?

The same kid who has a better chance in life full-stop?

So if you are against Grammar schools should we also ban parents from encouraging their kids?
Original post by Pseudocode
No. We should follow a Scandinavian approach. The notion that we need to assess children is ridiculous and this attitude has stemmed from Tory governments wanting to produce cheap labour for their friends in big business. Children do not need to be assessed. They need to be aided to become independent learners in their own environment. They are human beings. Also, there is a tenfold of evidence that this approach works.

You idiot

So how do we know whether a child is actually learning or not? Wait till they reach 16 and they test them? Ooops- just wasted 11 years of their life....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
You idiot

So how do we know whether a child is actually learning or not? Wait till they reach 16 and they test them? Ooops- just wasted 11 years of their life....

Yet Finland has a better education system than ours. Such idiots, aren't they?

objectively? By what measurement?
Original post by Jammy Duel
objectively? By what measurement?

They have a world renown education system. We, along with America, and a load of other nations have sent experts across there to look at how they've done it. The Green Party want to implement a similar system and Labour to a degree based on that research. The Tories do not because they want to produce labour fodder for their rich friends.
They have a world renown education system. We, along with America, and a load of other nations have sent experts across there to look at how they've done it. The Green Party want to implement a similar system and Labour to a degree based on that research. The Tories do not because they want to produce labour fodder for their rich friends.

So the answers are "no" and "I don't know" then?
So the answers are "no" and "I don't know" then?

No. The answer is 'look up the research yourself' as its 20 past 3 in the morning and I'm trying to watch television with the missus.
No. The answer is 'look up the research yourself' as its 20 past 3 in the morning and I'm trying to watch television with the missus.

Martians are real, the proof is out there, go look for it yourself if you don't believe me.
Martians are real, the proof is out there, go look for it yourself if you don't believe me.

Really? Is that the depth of how immature you're going to be about this? I'm done. If you need the last word then feel free to have it.
Reply 49
Original post by billydisco
The same kid who has a better chance in life full-stop?

So if you are against Grammar schools should we also ban parents from encouraging their kids?

I think your intepretation is incorrect. Grammar schools do not give a better education to the socially disadvantaged, otherwise, areas where they exist will have a different achievement profile compared to areas where they don't. As far as I am aware, there is no difference.

If they did what they are suppose to do and give an equal chance to all kids regardless of their social or financial status, then I would support them but they don't.
Really? Is that the depth of how immature you're going to be about this? I'm done. If you need the last word then feel free to have it.

Well, you appear to just be spouting the Green Party line. You seem to claim that this research exists and objectively says by some measure you know that their system is better, yet you seem incapable of saying what this measure is, you merely make the declaration that this research exists. Given how easy it is to say what the measure is, say "university attendance", "number of people getting grade x and age y", or even "their students rank best in Europe in standardized test z" the failure to say so implies that you're taking it on blind faith that what you have been told is true.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
I think your intepretation is incorrect. Grammar schools do not give a better education to the socially disadvantaged, otherwise, areas where they exist will have a different achievement profile compared to areas where they don't. As far as I am aware, there is no difference.

If they did what they are suppose to do and give an equal chance to all kids regardless of their social or financial status, then I would support them but they don't.

I would say that interpretation is questionable too. Where are the few Grammar Schools that still have? Without looking it up I expect it's going to be the better off parts of the country. If you really want to see how good or bad they are for social mobility you want to look at when they were still around en mass, but even that will be flawed because society was very different back then.

Besides Nokia and Mika Hakkinen what exactly has Finland given the rest of the world? Nothing.
Original post by Maker

Could you elaborate on what you mean by a different achievement profile?
I would say that interpretation is questionable too. Where are the few Grammar Schools that still have? Without looking it up I expect it's going to be the better off parts of the country. If you really want to see how good or bad they are for social mobility you want to look at when they were still around en mass, but even that will be flawed because society was very different back then.

Ah damn you- you beat me to it! That is why I was asking Maker to clarify what he meant. I am guessing he meant Grammar schools are full of middle-class kids. Yes they are, because only Tory (generally wealthier) areas kept the Grammar schools.

The only three LEAs which retain the whole 11+ system regionally are:

Lincolnshire (7 Tory MPs out of 7)
Kent (16 Tory, 1 UKIP MPs out of 17)
Buckinghamshire (7 Tory MPs out of 7)

So, the majority of Grammar schools are in Tory areas........ so not exactly a surprise to see they have a lot of middle class kids in them!

Perhaps if the Labour councils hadn't closed-down the Grammar schools the kids today would be achieving more, instead of being hoodwinked in to studying pathetic A Level subjects and attending a crap polytechnic?

And what have they done with their amazing education system? Nothing.
Woo, grammar schools. :yes:

The notion that only rich kids get into grammars isn't true. Everyone has access to resources these days and if the parents just aren't bothered then...that's bad luck. :fluffy:
Reply 57
Instead of a few classes, a whole school filled with stuck up kids with superiority complexes? No thanks.
Anarchist schools would be better.
Reply 59
Of course grammar schools improve social mobility. So long as a child from a poor background has the right mindset to succeed (works hard), a grammar school can provide a great environment for preparation to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending