The Student Room Group

I've been diagnosed with a general learning disability, but can't get dsa for it

I've been looking online and I can't find any information about it, I got tested for dyslexua but they said I don't have a specific learning difficulty such as dsylexia or dyspraxia. They don't do dsa for it, but I'm struggling at uni. Not sure what to do, I'm finding a lot of it difficult.

I don't really know what the diagnosis means, anyone know anything about it. I can't find any information as to why I'm not able to get dsa for it, if it's still counted as a learning disability.
You won't get DSA on the basis that you have a learning disability. DSA is granted because you have a disability (learning, physical, mental) that affects your ability to study / you have extra study needs.

Have you asked why you can't get DSA for it? I am assuming that you meet the criteria in regards to residency, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You won't get DSA on the basis that you have a learning disability. DSA is granted because you have a disability (learning, physical, mental) that affects your ability to study / you have extra study needs.

Have you asked why you can't get DSA for it? I am assuming that you meet the criteria in regards to residency, etc.

It does effect my studies, as in the reading, taking notes, writing, concentrating ect has made it really hard to do my assignments and lectures. What do you mean by residency

I've looked on the website it says its only awarded to those with specific learning difficulties. And even on the diagnostic report says that you can't get dsa with general learning difficulties.
Reply 3
Yes, I'm afraid that is right. If you have undergone a diagnostic assessment with an educational psychologist and he/ she identifies that you experience general learning difficulties, and not specific learning difficulties, then you won't meet the criteria for DSA.
Reply 4
Original post by NJones
Yes, I'm afraid that is right. If you have undergone a diagnostic assessment with an educational psychologist and he/ she identifies that you experience general learning difficulties, and not specific learning difficulties, then you won't meet the criteria for DSA.

I just don't understand why, considering it's classed as a learning difficulty. It's not as if I don't have one at all.

It's really annoying as I do actually need the help, in similar areas to say someone with dyslexia
Surely, the Equalities Act 2010 makes it illegal for DSA to be rejected on the basis of no diagnosis?
Reply 6
No, because the diagnostic report identified that there was no disability to meet the requirements of the equality act, just a general learning difficulty. Hopefully the university will be able to provide support.
Reply 7
Original post by NJones
No, because the diagnostic report identified that there was no disability to meet the requirements of the equality act, just a general learning difficulty. Hopefully the university will be able to provide support.

I'm just hoping they will, I'm struggling with uni atm :/

Quick Reply

Latest