The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Speleo

Spoiler

Thanks for your help, I think I just about understood that, I'll ask my Maths teacher for further help and past papers. :smile:
Reply 21
speleo, didn't you do good-ish in BMO1 last year? or am i imagining that?

i really want to win a book by tony gardiner this year. the applause i'll get in assembly will make it all worthwhile.
Do you have to enter through a school? I skipped on the Scottish maths challenge because it was boring and it's not likely the school will enter me for this one, especially as it looks like they have to order papers in batch. Any ideas?
Reply 23
I got 92 on the SMC and 12 in the BMO last year.... Well out of practice at that sort of test though...
Reply 24
sebbie
I got 92 on the SMC and 12 in the BMO last year.... Well out of practice at that sort of test though...

Don't worry about (seemingly) crap BMO marks, I did really badly in one of y12 or y11, I didn't get in on the other (despite getting over 10 in y10), then in y13 I got 25 in BMO 1 then somewhere between 2 qnd 4 on BMO2 and I'm now studying at Cambridge.

BMO 1 usually accepts the top 800 people based on SMC, then BMO 2, the top 100 based on both rounds, and also about 100 people receive a book based on their position in BMO1. Don't bother practicing for them it's a bit of fun, and nailing your A-levels (and AEAs and STEP if applicable) are far more important.
Reply 25
apd35
Don't bother practicing for them it's a bit of fun, and nailing your A-levels (and AEAs and STEP if applicable) are far more important.

Agreed. The SMC in particular is just meant to be an enjoyable 'quiz' rather than a formal maths exam. Preparation for it is next to useless other than to be used to the general format of it ie 25 multiple choice questions, 90 minutes, hard questions towards the end.
Reply 26
speleo, didn't you do good-ish in BMO1 last year? or am i imagining that?

I somehow managed to get through to BMO2 (not top 100 though) where I got 2 marks D:
I was lucky, last year's BMO1 had an easy combinatorics question and an easy 'show that blah blah blah is divisible by 720' question, so I scraped through (23 IIRC). I am looking at BMO1 papers now and I haven't been able to do a single other question yet.

I guess I'm OK at it, I just find it much much harder than STEP or anything.

Oh, and to Cataclysm, I realised a couple minutes after I posted that you can write (1 and a half)(1 and a third)...(one and a 2005th) as (3/2)(4/3)...(2006/2005) and almost everything cancels to leave 2006/2
Slightly OT - any truth in the rumour that IMO participants have STEP waived for Maths at Cam?

Rumour heard from a NatSci at Trinity
Reply 28
hungry_hog
Slightly OT - any truth in the rumour that IMO participants have STEP waived for Maths at Cam?

Having spoken to the guy concerned, then in at least one case (and probably all of them), yes.
Reply 29
hungry_hog

Proper IMO participants (as in the 6 who do it nationawide) quite often have A-level requirements waived, a friend of mine got an EE offer for Trinity, Cambridge, he came second in the year in the end of year exams last year. Anyone who gets to IMO would walk STEP anyway though.
Link to more old IMO questions and some others... many different countries etc.
Reply 31
apd35
Don't worry about (seemingly) crap BMO marks, I did really badly in one of y12 or y11, I didn't get in on the other (despite getting over 10 in y10), then in y13 I got 25 in BMO 1 then somewhere between 2 qnd 4 on BMO2 and I'm now studying at Cambridge.

BMO 1 usually accepts the top 800 people based on SMC, then BMO 2, the top 100 based on both rounds, and also about 100 people receive a book based on their position in BMO1. Don't bother practicing for them it's a bit of fun, and nailing your A-levels (and AEAs and STEP if applicable) are far more important.

Haha, I was actually pleased with my 12 marks!!!! (I was aiming for 10) The other person at my school who did it got 4, it is insanely difficult!
Reply 32
I'm doin' this as well but I'm looking to it quite informally. :smile:
I'm going in for it as well, it's interesting. Other than in the intermediate challenge where I was entered in to round 1, I've never done better than gold. It's still good fun, though. :smile:

**EDIT** Gosh, what a horrible sentence that was. It needed changing. **/EDIT**
Reply 34
hungry_hog

2 IMO team members from my school in recent years who went to cambridge (both trinity) had to take STEP..
Reply 35
Some old ones here:

http://www.stepmaths.tk/
Reply 36
Cataclysm
Thanks for your help, I think I just about understood that, I'll ask my Maths teacher for further help and past papers. :smile:

Rewrite the expression as:
3/2.4/3.5/4.6/5...2004/2003.2005/2004.2006/2005

Cancelling terms yields the answer.
Reply 37
chewwy
2 IMO team members from my school in recent years who went to cambridge (both trinity) had to take STEP..

A trinity mathmo was telling me about this. They only have STEP waived if they have some sort of certificate (IIRC) before the interview cycle.
I may have misremembered this fact, so don't quote me on it.
Reply 38
sebbie
Haha, I was actually pleased with my 12 marks!!!! (I was aiming for 10) The other person at my school who did it got 4, it is insanely difficult!

I know I've already told you in a PM, I thought I'd explain publicly. Most people doing BMO1 probably used to getting 90+% in every test they do, so 25% is a lot less than average for them. However the papers are really hard and getting even 5 marks is a good achievement, especially before your upper sixth year.
Reply 39
In my L6th year, I managed to qualify automatically for BMO1 and I scored the magnificent total of 2 points. Last year I didn't qualify automatically, but I got 16. I was pleased with my improvement.
So the mark you get is touch and go, unless you really know your stuff like the IMO people.

Latest